Is Abbott finished? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Abbott finished?

spikydurian

Medalist
Watch the NBC coverage. Josh's scores come up, he's delighted and almost falls off his seat, Max subsides into his towel and has a little cry, then stands up, and is promptly glomped by Ross, and then Brandon (I think? hard to tell from the back.) Meanwhile Jeremy is just sitting there, a pout on his face, not even making a movement to get up.
Gee you are sure picky karne. I am sure Jeremy is glad that you are not his mother or girlfriend!:p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gee you are sure picky karne. I am sure Jeremy is glad that you are not his mother or girlfriend!:p

I think Jeremy was more upset with himself rather than who won. He knew he blew it. He probably wanted his mother or significant other at that time for support.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jeremy was more upset with himself rather than who won. He knew he blew it. He probably wanted his mother or significant other at that time for support.

Do you mean you think that Ross wasn't kicking himself for popping that Axel? If anyone had a right to be sitting down upset it was Ross, and yet he was the first one over to hug Max and congratulate him.

Jeremy may have been upset with himself, but that doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship. Be upset with yourself all you like - but congratulate the guy who absolutely nailed it.

Was Josh sitting in the kiss'n'cry sulking because he fell off the quad and blew a potential silver medal? No, he was falling over in delight! Heck, even Brandon Mroz got to Max before Jeremy did, and Mroz hadn't exactly had the greatest of competitions either.

I just felt it was extremely poor of Jeremy to not even go over there. Even if he'd just got up, gone over and shaken Max's hand. He didn't even have to smile, but sitting there pouting deliberately holding yourself away from the new champion is pretty poor.

mskater93

Record Breaker
His jumps have become progressively more insecure. He just doesn't go into jumps as confidently and aggressively as he has in the past, and that leads to mistakes, doubts, and pops. I think he just needs a jump coach to work out all the kinks. He has the artistry; he just needs his technique back.
To his defense, he has had back problems all season that he had been trying to work through, which can throw off your confidence.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Do you mean you think that Ross wasn't kicking himself for popping that Axel? If anyone had a right to be sitting down upset it was Ross, and yet he was the first one over to hug Max and congratulate him.

Jeremy may have been upset with himself, but that doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship. Be upset with yourself all you like - but congratulate the guy who absolutely nailed it.

Was Josh sitting in the kiss'n'cry sulking because he fell off the quad and blew a potential silver medal? No, he was falling over in delight! Heck, even Brandon Mroz got to Max before Jeremy did, and Mroz hadn't exactly had the greatest of competitions either.

I just felt it was extremely poor of Jeremy to not even go over there. Even if he'd just got up, gone over and shaken Max's hand. He didn't even have to smile, but sitting there pouting deliberately holding yourself away from the new champion is pretty poor.

To be fair, Josh's goal was probably to make the national team, and not the podium, let alone the World team, let alone win (as Jeremy's goal was) -- he was aiming for Junior Worlds. We don't know if/when Jeremy congratulated him afterwards so it really isn't our place to say if he was been unsportsmanlike. He was clearly dumbfounded by how poorly he skated so I'm betting that congratulating Aaron was hardly the first thing on his mind.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Are you saying we should excuse poor sportsmanship (if that's what this was) because he wanted his mommy???

Perhaps he should take a hint from Hanyu and start bringing his teddy bear to the Kiss and Cry.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m a long time fan of Abbott, since I saw his live skating in 2006 Finlandia Trophy early in his career (he won). Now looking back to his skating career, it seems that his best success has been in small international events and of course at US Nationals. Maybe he just does not have mental strength for really big competitions like Worlds and Olympics? He is a wonderful, wonderful skater, but for big success one needs to be more.

I have never thought that Sato as a coach was a good choice for Abbott.

Eislauf

On the Ice

I agree with everything you've said. One expects that a 27 yr-old, seasoned, top international-level skater like Jeremy, not to mention a former National Champion, would have already learned basic good sportsmanship, no matter how disappointed he might feel. It was embarrassing to watch a grown man sulk at Nationals like he did, instead of graciously congratulating the winner. I too thought his 'jokey' warning about about how Max and Ross better earn 3 Olympic spots at Worlds, because he (Jeremy) was going to fight for one, was childish and unsportsmanlike.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Jeremy strikes me as someone who is very sensitive and shows his emotions too easily. I don't think he has the nerves to compete at big events. He should have at least one world medal to show for his talent and the belief the judges have in him. I wouldn't judge his character based on this one unfortunate show of emotions (if it is a common theme with him, though, that's different).

I don't know if he's finished. I don't know if he ever started. He is continuing to skate as well as he usually does, as someone with a lot of talent and little consistency.

Icey

Record Breaker
He will be 28 in June and close to 29 when the Olympics occurs. I think his time has run out, sadly.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
All Jeremy has to do is stop fooling around pretending he has a quad. If he just leaves out the obligatory opening fall and skates to his strengths, he can still win the U.S. title.

100% agreed. In fact, this advice applies to the majority of senior international men. (Well, not the part about the US title.)

The nonsense about needing a quad to win has got to stop. It's become the emperor's clothes. No one who has a quad is ever otherwise clean or has good program components. If a man skated a clean short and free skate with (the maximum number of) triples only, and had very good program components, he would win often and make the podium at every ISU event. Anyone who's taken a cursory look at the protocols can see this.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
100% agreed. In fact, this advice applies to the majority of senior international men. (Well, not the part about the US title.)

The nonsense about needing a quad to win has got to stop. It's become the emperor's clothes. No one who has a quad is ever otherwise clean or has good program components. If a man skated a clean short and free skate with (the maximum number of) triples only, and had very good program components, he would win often and make the podium at every ISU event. Anyone who's taken a cursory look at the protocols can see this.

Sorry, a clean performance is important but the sport has to evolve and have difficulty where skaters challenge themselves. If you want clean quadless skates, go re-watch Buttle/Lysacek/the guys from the 80's and 90's, or watch the Junior Men's Grand Prix.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Jeremy is a just a male Alyssa. Both have amazing potential and both seem to never quite put it all together consistently. I was never a big fan of Jeremy's until the 2012 Nats where his SP was fabulous and his LP was fabulous. I had never seen him skate so confidently. You just knew when he stepped on the ice that he was going to lay down a great program.

What I do get irritated about is the fact that we seem to be trending toward one particular type of jump being the be-all and end-all of a performance. I frankly would like to see the quad outlawed and then see where the chips fall. The physical toll that one jump takes on skaters is hardly worth it. The ruined programs from that one jump are hardly worth it. I would much rather see good skating skills, musicality and a clean program.

I don't know if Jeremy is finished or not. Athletes, IMO, especially in figure skating seem to stay in the sport past their expiration date (Lysacek, Plushenko, Cszny, etc.) but it's their bodies and their reputations they put on the line so who am I to tell them it's all over! I would guess that this Olympic season is going to be the swan song for many skaters.

Sorry, a clean performance is important but the sport has to evolve and have difficulty where skaters challenge themselves. If you want clean quadless skates, go re-watch Buttle/Lysacek/the guys from the 80's and 90's, or watch the Junior Men's Grand Prix.

Many fans do just that. The several copies of this performance that are available on You Tube have about one-and-a-half million views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJmfuEWR8w

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What I do get irritated about is the fact that we seem to be trending toward one particular type of jump being the be-all and end-all of a performance.

Actually, if the attitudes on here are any indication, we're trending towards the "who gives a toss if a skater falls over, as long as they do fifty squillion transitions and look like they're being tortured on the ice!" being the be-all and end-all.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Here's the thing, if Jeremy can open his programs with a fall on a ROTATED quad, then it's still worth it to put it in, because 1.) it will get him more points than a 3lz (the next hardest jump he could do if he let it out) and 2.) avoids the "quadless program" stigma which at this point considering what others are attempting could affect his PCS. If he can't reliably rotate the quad though, I agree it doesn't make sense to put it in. Certainly no quad in the SP, Jeremy has enough issues skating clean SPs WITHOUT the quad as is...but as for the FS, it comes down to what I just said. If he can rotate it, it's worth it to go for it and fall, but if he can't (and this season usually his 4t falls have been marked < so for now, this may be the case) then there's really no point in him trying it at all.

I don't agree. When Jeremy falls on his opening quad, rotated or not, the whole rest of the program goes to pot. it doesn't matter how many CoP points he gets for the rotations of his quad if he falls and pops a bunch of jumps later on.

On the other hand, under-rotation is the main cause of falling on any jump, so if he could fully rotate a quad he would have a good chance of landing it.