Is Abbott finished? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Abbott finished?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think he'll make the Olympic team myself but that doesn't mean he shouldn't continue to compete & try for another shot at it. If he wants his jumps back then he'd do well to consider returning to Tom Zakrajsck but I don't see that happening either.

I don't want anyone to return to Tom Zakrasjek. In fact, I don't want anyone skating for him. Ever.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I apologize for the title, thank you for changing it. It was rather crass of me.

I would be sad to see Jeremy go, I think he has showed us some really great skating. I wish he could bring it on the international level. I would love to see him have another Olympic experience.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I thought Jeremy has only 1 GP assignment guaranteed.

Jeremy is my favorite competitive male skater ever. (I wasn't around for Browning or Cousins) My hope is to see him skate his beautiful programs, no matter where he places. He is unique. He deserves respect for the years of training, fine skating skills and attention to detail, choreography and presentation. He has said this will be his last season. So he will finish. Sadly, age and injury seem to have caught up with him. I don't think he will make the Olympic team- but he has earned the right to try.

What is truly sad is that there is no show skating left in the US- so he will have nowhere to have a pro career. Seems SOI prefers Ryan Bradley type skaters with a back flip as their best skating skill. Without a World Medal- Jeremy is unlikely to get offers in Japan or Europe.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
How different! How biased treatment to different skaters! So when it comes to Abbott, you've suddenly become "rational", so considerable, so understanding.:rolleye: Do different skaters have different class?!

There is no need to seek justification on what you've said about Chan. All skaters deserve the same consideration from other people.

Except, I'm not seeking justification. It's all my opinion, and I've stated it as such and no one needs to justify my opinion, but nice try. Also, if you'd actually READ the entirety of what I wrote, I prefaced my statement with the fact that I think Jeremy is definitely done being considered any kind of national title or international medal threat. Also, Jeremy has been nothing if not a perfect ambassador for skating, where as the current and three-time world champ has been: Arrogant, mercurial, and sometimes, downright rude. I'm not the only one who feels this way about Chan, so stop trying to pick fights.

Yes, I will admit to a double standard when it comes to Jeremy and Chan. I like Jeremy more, but that doesn't mean I can't watch his skating with a critical eye.

But really, your post is height of rudeness.

heyang

Record Breaker
Given the current state of US Men's skating, I wouldn't call Jeremy done. When he's on, he is the best in the US as evidenced by his short programs. I hope he can fix his problems this upcoming season and retire on a 'high' note.

Never count a skater 'out'. I almost skipped recording/watching Rudy Galindo's performances at the San Jose Nationals because of his 'history' and he pulled off 2 impeccable performances to become the oldest male champion in the US. Same is also true of Paul Wylie's performances at the 92 Olympics - stunning surprises! Jeremy is as capable as these guys - he just needs to be healthy and well-trained and in the right head space.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Won't comment on his competitive edge, but I think his body is done. He probably could do a quad if his back would hold up for the practice.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Unlike Ashley, who I think needs to up her ante at every competition for practice, Jeremy should lower his until he needs the quad (i.e. when he faces international competition). If he's clean he can win Nationals because he is the most talented "skater" we have and can earn enough points with just triples. I do think he should consider switching coaches because for whatever reason Yuka and Jason are not able to instill a competitive fire into their skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm thinking he should stay away from Skate Canada - Chan and one of Fernandez or Hanyu will likely be there, which could compromise making the GPF for him. Skate America would be a great place to start, he'd have home crowd support and he could also show up Miner or Aaron, and increase his stock to be on the Olympic team. NHK is a risk, with at least two strong Japanese skaters competing (of Takahashi/Mura/Hanyu/Machida/Kozuka), and Reynolds quite likely competing there too -- Miner might go since he's done well there, so arguably it could be a shot for Abbott to defeat Miner, but he still won't win and there are many threats to jeopardize even making the podium. If I were to predict (as all of these are predictions, of course), his best bets are TEB/CoC/CoR. TEB was easy points for any of the men last season (I'm thinking Chan should go there) and CoC wasn't particularly competitive either. I guess we'd have to see the GP assignments though.

I thought only one medallist from world's could be at the GP event. Wouldn't the real fear then be say Kevin Reynolds skates at Skate Canada which I doubt.. He has some beautiful skating but Abbott's scores also explain Chan's who is a better skater which says a lot because Abbott is amazing too. But those chan haters are bound to jump on this one so I better hide or run or something.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Unfortunately yes. What a huge waste of talent. Could have been the World 2009 and Olympic 2010 Champion instead of Evan.

spikydurian

Medalist
Poor poor Jeremy. First he is 'forked', then he is 'finished'. I hope he proves his detractors wrong this season.

Trewyn

Medalist
I really feel someone with his talent should at least have some colour Worlds or Olympic medal... I hope he achieves that next season. It's true that he hasn't been *really* competitive with the best in a while. He used to have a quad, but now he might be better off without it, playing to his strengths (skating skills, choreo, emotion, good flow...) a la Buttle in 2008; he won the 2008 GPF that way already. Of course the field is different now compared to what it was then. But it's still a possibility, especially since, as someone mentioned in this thread, Daisuke doesn't *really* have a quad either.
If a no-quad approach becomes his strategy, he can't make any mistakes though, no doubling jumps and his 3A will need to be solid... That will probably depend on how he's body is holding up. If he can keep away from any major injuries, I think, considering the talent he has, he should still be able to pull it together in time.
I do understand the naysayers; if it's not the physical side of the sport that's holding him back right now, it's the mental. Overcoming both might be impossible...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, Jeremy has been nothing if not a perfect ambassador for skating, where as the current and three-time world champ has been: Arrogant, mercurial, and sometimes, downright rude.

er, yes. Because Jeremy's little performance at Nationals - talking about his plans for London after the SHORT program, and sulking in the backstage after the final scores came up without even the grace to congratulate Max, was absolutely perfect and a wonderful example of true sportsmanship... :sarcasm:

Icey

Record Breaker
He remained with Sato too long. He should have realized long ago that this just didn't work out the way he had planned.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
er, yes. Because Jeremy's little performance at Nationals - talking about his plans for London after the SHORT program, and sulking in the backstage after the final scores came up without even the grace to congratulate Max, was absolutely perfect and a wonderful example of true sportsmanship... :sarcasm:

Didn't see that. If he did that, shame on him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Didn't see that. If he did that, shame on him.

Watch the NBC coverage. Josh's scores come up, he's delighted and almost falls off his seat, Max subsides into his towel and has a little cry, then stands up, and is promptly glomped by Ross, and then Brandon (I think? hard to tell from the back.) Meanwhile Jeremy is just sitting there, a pout on his face, not even making a movement to get up.

I also found his remarks to Max and Ross especially grating - "You two better get three spots for next year!" Oh yeah, because you were so helpful with that in previous years, Jeremy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watch the NBC coverage. Josh's scores come up, he's delighted and almost falls off his seat, Max subsides into his towel and has a little cry, then stands up, and is promptly glomped by Ross, and then Brandon (I think? hard to tell from the back.) Meanwhile Jeremy is just sitting there, a pout on his face, not even making a movement to get up.

I also found his remarks to Max and Ross especially grating - "You two better get three spots for next year!" Oh yeah, because you were so helpful with that in previous years, Jeremy.

To be fair:
1.) He the "Three spots" comment it in a joking manner, I think
2.) He did help the U.S. keep three spots in 2010 by placing 5th (and Adam was 6th). Yes, yes, it was a post-Olympics Worlds and there wasn't as many competitors and before the surge of Fernandez and Co.), but he did it all the same.

That said, I didn't really agree him bringing it up even as a joke because it does come off as a bit self-serving.

Aww, that's nothing. He just gave a crummy performance and lost a chance to make the world team. He had a right to feel glum.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
His jumps have become progressively more insecure. He just doesn't go into jumps as confidently and aggressively as he has in the past, and that leads to mistakes, doubts, and pops. I think he just needs a jump coach to work out all the kinks. He has the artistry; he just needs his technique back.