Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Abbott finished?

I think Abbott would have been a bigger draw than Lysacek for Skate America if they are depending on the locals to fill up seats. Also Alissa, if she is able to come back. The figure skating coverage in the Detroit area is always slanted toward the skaters who live or train locally.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    ^^^ I would imagine they have Evan slated for Skate America to boost ticket sales.

An American who is reigning Olympic Champion should be a pretty big draw for the general public I'd think.
    Except that he then pulls out at the last minute. Again.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Evan won't be pulling out this time. He needs the Olympics financially and he knows that he needs to compete before Nationals to make sure the programs are comfortable enough.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Except that he then pulls out at the last minute. Again.
    He probably will but that doesnt even matter much. A bunch of naive fans who think he is actually going to show (snickers) will buy tickets, and thus boost ticket sales. There isnt going to be a refund just because someone withdraws.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Evan won't be pulling out this time. He needs the Olympics financially and he knows that he needs to compete before Nationals to make sure the programs are comfortable enough.
    How do you know he's in need financially? I agree that he needs to compete before Nationals but I just have a feeling something else is going to happen. I just hope he pulls out soon enough for someone else to take his spot. I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for him not to have competed in a little less than 4 years, do one competition (maybe) and qualify for the Olympic team.

As for Abbott being finished? I don't know that any of us has that crystal ball to determine he's done. I still think Jeremy has some great skating left in him and when he's "on" he's fabulous. Just wish he could skate with his skates instead of his head.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    How do you know?
    I've been taking lessons from Bran Stark.

I've been taking lessons from Bran Stark.
    You chose a good teacher

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    He landed a nice one in his SP at 4CC, and then another one, in combination, in his FS at 4CC as well. Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmYLGijC_Y (SP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBqT4DgqkEI (FS)

Also, Dornbush's score at Finlandia was higher than Miner's at NHK, and their results at the other two internationals each attended in the fall were pretty comparable - not bad but not great. Dornbush also had the flu at Nationals which definitely didn't help matters. With clean skates I think he could have maybe placed 6th at Worlds.
    Completely not buying this. Max Aaron who had no international rep whatsoever beat him at 4CC. Aaron didn't skate quite as good in the LP at Worlds as he did at 4CC but he ended up 7th. Dornbush at his absolute best MIGHT have beaten Aaron for 7th considering the popped 4S and hitting the boards on the 3A, but there is NO way he would have beaten Taka even though he skated horribly and Reynolds had a big enough lead after SP that he wouldn't have beaten him (on home ground) either. The American men had they been at their absolute best this year would have been 7+8

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    A bunch of naive fans who think he is actually going to show (snickers) will buy tickets, and thus boost ticket sales.
    I don't think so.

How do you know he's in need financially?
    According to this site, Lysacek is worth US$ 10,000,000.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...cek-net-worth/

I don't believe it. More conservative estimates say he made about a million from his Olympic gold medal, another million from Dancing with the Stars, and maybe another million for other stuff like touring with SOI, along with endorsements and public appearances.

Custom Title
    How do you know he's in need financially?

As for Abbott being finished? I don't know that any of us has that crystal ball to determine he's done. I still think Jeremy has some great skating left in him and when he's "on" he's fabulous. Just wish he could skate with his skates instead of his head.
    Jeremy may have some great skating left in him, but it will not be imo great competitive skating.

Custom Title
    Plus Jeremy just turned 28 yesterday. His body is getting worn down and he can't jump like he used too.

Custom Title
    If any US man doesn't need financial help, it's Lysacek. Did you forget he's the reigning Olympic gold medalist? And he has immense popularity with the American audiences, particularly after placing 2nd on Dancing with the Stars.

I don't think he would pull out pre-Nationals, unless he legitimately felt that he wasn't prepared. He knows the other guys he's against have bigger tricks and seems like he's rolling the dice.

Like Abbott though, he'll need a quad on the World stage and I'd be pretty made if Miner or Aaron were left off the team thanks to inflated PCS from Abbott/Lysacek, when they're so much more capable (even if they aren't as big a name).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think so.

According to this site, Lysacek is worth US$ 10,000,000.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...cek-net-worth/

I don't believe it. More conservative estimates say he made about a million from his Olympic gold medal, another million from Dancing with the Stars, and maybe another million for other stuff like touring with SOI, along with endorsements and public appearances.

I rather doubt Evan is worth ten million maybe a million. I would garner to guess Sasha Cohen is worth more than him. He won gold and I am sure he is a nice guy but his personality is underwhelming compared to Johnny Weir and he is no Michelle kwan or even the beauty and interest of Cohen. HE is not as recognizeable as even Johnny Weir I read so I doubt he is ten mil.

Custom Title
    Evan got about 350,000 for his DWTS stint.

~high art~
    A million is not so small.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast