Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Abbott finished?

Custom Title
    Jeremy's spins are worse than he had back in 2010. His other jumps besides quad are getting insecure too.

I don't think he'll make the Olympic team myself but that doesn't mean he shouldn't continue to compete & try for another shot at it. If he wants his jumps back then he'd do well to consider returning to Tom Zakrajsck but I don't see that happening either.

Custom Title
    I really hate thread titles with this vernacular. It really seems petty and classless, especially for a skater of Jeremy's grace and calibre, to say he's done/finished/stick a fork in him. Athletes train really hard and whether they end their career on a high or choose to keep competing is something that should be on their own terms.

That being said, I think Jeremy can still make the US team, but without a quad he has no shot at the podium. Unlike 2010 where a quad in the SP was a nice thing to have, now it's practically mandatory.

As far as him pulling 80-85 points, I think he can hit around 88 with a clean program with no quad. I mean, he got 80 points at WTT with a fall and no quad in his SP. But unlike 2010 with Lysacek, he has to be perfect to get into the top 5... needs a quad if he wants to hit the podium.

In regards to Daisuke not having a clean quad, he still gets excellent PCS and with a decent skate, he can still win, even with no quad or a fall on his quad. Jeremy won't be afforded the same. It's interesting though to note that even with all the errors in the LP, Abbott was still given PCS of 83.5, almost 10 points higher than Max (who had about the same errors, but at least did quads). I think Jeremy can make the US team if he plays it safe and puts out clean programs, but will need the quad for a shot at the Olympic podium. It's hard to say... a lot can happen over a summer. I had initially counted out Weir, but last season although he fared poorly, he still showed that he could land 3As and come close to landing quads.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed jump layout. And Welcome IndependentObserver to GS!
    Thanks for the welcome! Longtime lurker, firsttime poster.

I agree with Candadian Skater Guy. If Jeremy had much worse results the last few years and been 'dumped' by the judges as they say, then we'd be having a different conversation. Jeremy receives some of the highest PCS marks and hasn't really skated a clean LP since 2010 US Nats. However, he narrowly missed the GPF last season...he almost won gold at TEB...I think the back to back triple axels really hurt him, which he later changed.

The thread title is really not fair or accurate.

I was being conservative with my scoring estimate, but yeah an 88 quadless SP isn't out of reach.

Even if Jeremy doesn't have the quads, his artistic mark is head and shoulders above the younger guys with quads. Yes he mostly likely won't reach the podium in Sochi without a quad, but the young bucks with quads probably won't either because of PCS marks. I know there's the 'send them anyway for experience' school of thought, but if they lose their cool and their jumps, they have nothing to fall back on either.

Here's hoping for an outstanding Olympic year from all the skaters.

Not to thread drift...any thoughts on which GP's Abbott will get this fall? I'm thinking Cup of China and TEB or NHK and Rostelecom. He won't get Skate America...Skate Canada possibly, but not likely.
    Last edited by IndependentObserver; 04-17-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IndependentObserver View Post
    Not to thread drift...any thoughts on which GP's Abbott will get this fall? I'm thinking Cup of China and TEB or NHK and Rostelecom. He won't get Skate America...Skate Canada possibly, but not likely.
    I'm thinking he should stay away from Skate Canada - Chan and one of Fernandez or Hanyu will likely be there, which could compromise making the GPF for him. Skate America would be a great place to start, he'd have home crowd support and he could also show up Miner or Aaron, and increase his stock to be on the Olympic team. NHK is a risk, with at least two strong Japanese skaters competing (of Takahashi/Mura/Hanyu/Machida/Kozuka), and Reynolds quite likely competing there too -- Miner might go since he's done well there, so arguably it could be a shot for Abbott to defeat Miner, but he still won't win and there are many threats to jeopardize even making the podium. If I were to predict (as all of these are predictions, of course), his best bets are TEB/CoC/CoR. TEB was easy points for any of the men last season (I'm thinking Chan should go there) and CoC wasn't particularly competitive either. I guess we'd have to see the GP assignments though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I don't think he'll make the Olympic team myself but that doesn't mean he shouldn't continue to compete & try for another shot at it. If he wants his jumps back then he'd do well to consider returning to Tom Zakrajsck but I don't see that happening either.
    I don't want anyone to return to Tom Zakrasjek. In fact, I don't want anyone skating for him. Ever.

I apologize for the title, thank you for changing it. It was rather crass of me.

I would be sad to see Jeremy go, I think he has showed us some really great skating. I wish he could bring it on the international level. I would love to see him have another Olympic experience.

Custom Title
    I thought Jeremy has only 1 GP assignment guaranteed.

Jeremy is my favorite competitive male skater ever. (I wasn't around for Browning or Cousins) My hope is to see him skate his beautiful programs, no matter where he places. He is unique. He deserves respect for the years of training, fine skating skills and attention to detail, choreography and presentation. He has said this will be his last season. So he will finish. Sadly, age and injury seem to have caught up with him. I don't think he will make the Olympic team- but he has earned the right to try.

What is truly sad is that there is no show skating left in the US- so he will have nowhere to have a pro career. Seems SOI prefers Ryan Bradley type skaters with a back flip as their best skating skill. Without a World Medal- Jeremy is unlikely to get offers in Japan or Europe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    How different! How biased treatment to different skaters! So when it comes to Abbott, you've suddenly become "rational", so considerable, so understanding. Do different skaters have different class?!

There is no need to seek justification on what you've said about Chan. All skaters deserve the same consideration from other people.
    Except, I'm not seeking justification. It's all my opinion, and I've stated it as such and no one needs to justify my opinion, but nice try. Also, if you'd actually READ the entirety of what I wrote, I prefaced my statement with the fact that I think Jeremy is definitely done being considered any kind of national title or international medal threat. Also, Jeremy has been nothing if not a perfect ambassador for skating, where as the current and three-time world champ has been: Arrogant, mercurial, and sometimes, downright rude. I'm not the only one who feels this way about Chan, so stop trying to pick fights.

Yes, I will admit to a double standard when it comes to Jeremy and Chan. I like Jeremy more, but that doesn't mean I can't watch his skating with a critical eye.

But really, your post is height of rudeness.

Given the current state of US Men's skating, I wouldn't call Jeremy done. When he's on, he is the best in the US as evidenced by his short programs. I hope he can fix his problems this upcoming season and retire on a 'high' note.

Never count a skater 'out'. I almost skipped recording/watching Rudy Galindo's performances at the San Jose Nationals because of his 'history' and he pulled off 2 impeccable performances to become the oldest male champion in the US. Same is also true of Paul Wylie's performances at the 92 Olympics - stunning surprises! Jeremy is as capable as these guys - he just needs to be healthy and well-trained and in the right head space.

Custom Title
    Won't comment on his competitive edge, but I think his body is done. He probably could do a quad if his back would hold up for the practice.

Custom Title
    Unlike Ashley, who I think needs to up her ante at every competition for practice, Jeremy should lower his until he needs the quad (i.e. when he faces international competition). If he's clean he can win Nationals because he is the most talented "skater" we have and can earn enough points with just triples. I do think he should consider switching coaches because for whatever reason Yuka and Jason are not able to instill a competitive fire into their skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I'm thinking he should stay away from Skate Canada - Chan and one of Fernandez or Hanyu will likely be there, which could compromise making the GPF for him. Skate America would be a great place to start, he'd have home crowd support and he could also show up Miner or Aaron, and increase his stock to be on the Olympic team. NHK is a risk, with at least two strong Japanese skaters competing (of Takahashi/Mura/Hanyu/Machida/Kozuka), and Reynolds quite likely competing there too -- Miner might go since he's done well there, so arguably it could be a shot for Abbott to defeat Miner, but he still won't win and there are many threats to jeopardize even making the podium. If I were to predict (as all of these are predictions, of course), his best bets are TEB/CoC/CoR. TEB was easy points for any of the men last season (I'm thinking Chan should go there) and CoC wasn't particularly competitive either. I guess we'd have to see the GP assignments though.
    I thought only one medallist from world's could be at the GP event. Wouldn't the real fear then be say Kevin Reynolds skates at Skate Canada which I doubt.. He has some beautiful skating but Abbott's scores also explain Chan's who is a better skater which says a lot because Abbott is amazing too. But those chan haters are bound to jump on this one so I better hide or run or something.

Banned
    Unfortunately yes. What a huge waste of talent. Could have been the World 2009 and Olympic 2010 Champion instead of Evan.

Poor poor Jeremy. First he is 'forked', then he is 'finished'. I hope he proves his detractors wrong this season.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast