Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Abbott finished?

Custom Title
    do u guys think jeremy should go to college?

Custom Title
    I really feel someone with his talent should at least have some colour Worlds or Olympic medal... I hope he achieves that next season. It's true that he hasn't been *really* competitive with the best in a while. He used to have a quad, but now he might be better off without it, playing to his strengths (skating skills, choreo, emotion, good flow...) a la Buttle in 2008; he won the 2008 GPF that way already. Of course the field is different now compared to what it was then. But it's still a possibility, especially since, as someone mentioned in this thread, Daisuke doesn't *really* have a quad either.
    If a no-quad approach becomes his strategy, he can't make any mistakes though, no doubling jumps and his 3A will need to be solid... That will probably depend on how he's body is holding up. If he can keep away from any major injuries, I think, considering the talent he has, he should still be able to pull it together in time.
    I do understand the naysayers; if it's not the physical side of the sport that's holding him back right now, it's the mental. Overcoming both might be impossible...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    Also, Jeremy has been nothing if not a perfect ambassador for skating, where as the current and three-time world champ has been: Arrogant, mercurial, and sometimes, downright rude.
    er, yes. Because Jeremy's little performance at Nationals - talking about his plans for London after the SHORT program, and sulking in the backstage after the final scores came up without even the grace to congratulate Max, was absolutely perfect and a wonderful example of true sportsmanship...

Custom Title
    He remained with Sato too long. He should have realized long ago that this just didn't work out the way he had planned.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    do u guys think jeremy should go to college?
    No doubt if you ask me! But it's his choice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    er, yes. Because Jeremy's little performance at Nationals - talking about his plans for London after the SHORT program, and sulking in the backstage after the final scores came up without even the grace to congratulate Max, was absolutely perfect and a wonderful example of true sportsmanship...
    Didn't see that. If he did that, shame on him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    Didn't see that. If he did that, shame on him.
    Watch the NBC coverage. Josh's scores come up, he's delighted and almost falls off his seat, Max subsides into his towel and has a little cry, then stands up, and is promptly glomped by Ross, and then Brandon (I think? hard to tell from the back.) Meanwhile Jeremy is just sitting there, a pout on his face, not even making a movement to get up.

I also found his remarks to Max and Ross especially grating - "You two better get three spots for next year!" Oh yeah, because you were so helpful with that in previous years, Jeremy.

skating philosopher
    Watch the NBC coverage. Josh's scores come up, he's delighted and almost falls off his seat, Max subsides into his towel and has a little cry, then stands up, and is promptly glomped by Ross, and then Brandon (I think? hard to tell from the back.) Meanwhile Jeremy is just sitting there, a pout on his face, not even making a movement to get up.

I also found his remarks to Max and Ross especially grating - "You two better get three spots for next year!" Oh yeah, because you were so helpful with that in previous years, Jeremy.
    To be fair:
    1.) He the "Three spots" comment it in a joking manner, I think
    2.) He did help the U.S. keep three spots in 2010 by placing 5th (and Adam was 6th). Yes, yes, it was a post-Olympics Worlds and there wasn't as many competitors and before the surge of Fernandez and Co.), but he did it all the same.

That said, I didn't really agree him bringing it up even as a joke because it does come off as a bit self-serving.

Aww, that's nothing. He just gave a crummy performance and lost a chance to make the world team. He had a right to feel glum.

Custom Title
    His jumps have become progressively more insecure. He just doesn't go into jumps as confidently and aggressively as he has in the past, and that leads to mistakes, doubts, and pops. I think he just needs a jump coach to work out all the kinks. He has the artistry; he just needs his technique back.

Gee you are sure picky karne. I am sure Jeremy is glad that you are not his mother or girlfriend!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Gee you are sure picky karne. I am sure Jeremy is glad that you are not his mother or girlfriend!
    I think Jeremy was more upset with himself rather than who won. He knew he blew it. He probably wanted his mother or significant other at that time for support.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think Jeremy was more upset with himself rather than who won. He knew he blew it. He probably wanted his mother or significant other at that time for support.
    Do you mean you think that Ross wasn't kicking himself for popping that Axel? If anyone had a right to be sitting down upset it was Ross, and yet he was the first one over to hug Max and congratulate him.

Jeremy may have been upset with himself, but that doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship. Be upset with yourself all you like - but congratulate the guy who absolutely nailed it.

Was Josh sitting in the kiss'n'cry sulking because he fell off the quad and blew a potential silver medal? No, he was falling over in delight! Heck, even Brandon Mroz got to Max before Jeremy did, and Mroz hadn't exactly had the greatest of competitions either.

I just felt it was extremely poor of Jeremy to not even go over there. Even if he'd just got up, gone over and shaken Max's hand. He didn't even have to smile, but sitting there pouting deliberately holding yourself away from the new champion is pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    His jumps have become progressively more insecure. He just doesn't go into jumps as confidently and aggressively as he has in the past, and that leads to mistakes, doubts, and pops. I think he just needs a jump coach to work out all the kinks. He has the artistry; he just needs his technique back.
    To his defense, he has had back problems all season that he had been trying to work through, which can throw off your confidence.

Custom Title
    Do you mean you think that Ross wasn't kicking himself for popping that Axel? If anyone had a right to be sitting down upset it was Ross, and yet he was the first one over to hug Max and congratulate him.

Jeremy may have been upset with himself, but that doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship. Be upset with yourself all you like - but congratulate the guy who absolutely nailed it.

Was Josh sitting in the kiss'n'cry sulking because he fell off the quad and blew a potential silver medal? No, he was falling over in delight! Heck, even Brandon Mroz got to Max before Jeremy did, and Mroz hadn't exactly had the greatest of competitions either.

I just felt it was extremely poor of Jeremy to not even go over there. Even if he'd just got up, gone over and shaken Max's hand. He didn't even have to smile, but sitting there pouting deliberately holding yourself away from the new champion is pretty poor.
    To be fair, Josh's goal was probably to make the national team, and not the podium, let alone the World team, let alone win (as Jeremy's goal was) -- he was aiming for Junior Worlds. We don't know if/when Jeremy congratulated him afterwards so it really isn't our place to say if he was been unsportsmanlike. He was clearly dumbfounded by how poorly he skated so I'm betting that congratulating Aaron was hardly the first thing on his mind.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast