Is Abbott finished? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Abbott finished?

The Olympic Games only comes around every 4 years and is considered the pinnacle of every athlete's career. Cheating a deserving skater out of what is possibly his/her ONLY chance to compete smacks of corruption, thievery, and unacceptable bias.

Thank you. :clap:

All these schemes about, the USFSA should put this person on the team, and ditch that one -- that is totally wrong. The only responsibility of the national federation is to run an honest and aboveboard national championship event. Let the chips fall as they may.

(Of course that doesn't stop us from hoping that our favorite guy makes the grade. :) )

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To be honest i hope the kids Jason and Josh blow everyone out of the water. Then we will know it's a new time in US Mens skating and it's over for Evan, Jeremy, Johnny etc etc. Enough of skaters just good enough to get by like Minor or Rippon too.

ITA!! Enough of holdovers or mediocrity for the U.S men. Onward and upward finally please.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re the first part of this quote, please explain to me how it would be at all smart to gift-wrap an Olympic spot to a skater who time and time again fails on the big international stage. Please explain to me exactly WHY the USFSA should defy logic, common sense and their own usual selection policies to send a skater who has not yet earned his spot nor shown any good reason in the last few years why he should be sent. Which, all boiled down, simply says: please explain to me why the USFSA should waste further internationals and an Olympic spot on Jeremy Headcase Abbott.

As to the second part of your quote, here we are in wholehearted agreeance. I dearly hope Lysacek gets demolished at Nationals. Though that would imply he actually comes back, which I severely doubt.

Re the first part of the quote--I was thinking of this year's Nationals, which sent Aaron and Miner to World's. Aaron and Abbott would have been a better choice, in my opinion.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Re the first part of the quote--I was thinking of this year's Nationals, which sent Aaron and Miner to World's. Aaron and Abbott would have been a better choice, in my opinion.

So what would the USFSA have told Miner, who skated better than Jeremy all season and earned his silver medal at Nationals?

"We know you did a phenomenal job, but we're going to break from a century-long tradition, usually only done for skaters age-ineligible for Worlds, to put the third-place finisher on the World team instead. Never mind that you've competed more consistently all season. Never mind that Jeremy doesn't have a quad, which pretty much kamikazes his chance of being in the top five at Worlds. Never mind that, really, we've no reason to do so except personal preference. If we still like you, you'll have your chance in the future, but for now, we like this guy more."

Ross didn't have the best results at Worlds, but who's saying that Jeremy would have done well enough to earn the US men three spots? Ross' personal best is barely lower than Jeremy's, keeping in mind that this was Ross' breakthrough season whereas Jeremy's been in the national spotlight for years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

On what grounds? Miner had been skating brilliantly all season, even medalled at NHK which was no small feat considering the field there, and earned his spot by winning silver at Nationals, an Axel-pop away from gold. No-one could have known that he'd have a little slump after that. Abbott, on the other side, had shown flashes - TEB, I think it was - but had otherwise been skating like rubbish, and had just melted down at the one competition he's usually on song at.

I suppose some of the people supporting Abbott to go to Worlds over Miner would have been some of the people screaming that the RuFed was corrupt when they sent Kovtun over Menshov? :rolleye:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross's marks were way too high at Nationals but he still deserved to beat Jeremy, so replacing him on the Worlds team wouldn't have made much sense. I think USFS got too excited after Miner won bronze at NHK, which he only did because he had the FS of his life while Fernandez tanked. His other results during the fall were just ok, so the PCS at Nationals were yes overkill, but I don't think it would have been the right call to place Abbott ahead of him. Arguably Farris deserved to be 2nd at Nationals, but he competed as a junior all fall so it probably was not in the game plan to rush him into seniors internationally halfway through the season (especially seeing as how doing that seemed to mess with Dornbush's consistency when he did that, not to mention the whole Kovtun situation makes me think Farris could have had a meltdown at Worlds and finished as low or even lower than Miner anyways). Jeremy I doubt would have finished 14th but no way he would have been 6th or higher to get 3 spots so the result would have been the same and someone who didn't deserve to be sent to Worlds on the basis of his skating that season would have been sent so it wouldn't have been good anyways.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Is this because Miner bombed? Abbott might have been a better choice, but Miner definitely earned his spot at US Nationals. Abbott might have made more of a splash.... 5th-9th at Worlds was close and 240 points would have placed 5th and secured 3 spots in Sochi for the US men (for comparison, at WTT where Abbott wasn't all that great, he still got 234 points).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross skated well at Nationals which is why he (fairly) got sent to Worlds. The fact that he bombed his next two competitions after Nats does not change that fact. Unless the USFS told him his status was provisional and dependent upon his 4CC performance, it wouldn't have been fair to replace him after 4CC either. Maybe they should have done that, in which case maybe Jeremy would have gotten to go, but my guess is they didn't so in the end the right call was made. Ross going to Worlds and not skating well probably will help Jeremy's chances to go to Sochi anyways. Rippon's marks fell back to Earth at Nationals after not skating well at Worlds last year, and he ended up finishing 5th, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens to Ross at Nationals next year unless he has a stellar fall.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So, Jeremy has some problem with his back, he's on a boring diet, he thinks a quad is necessary to medal at the olympics (actually he says that the medalists at Sochi will have a quad in each program), he is working on the spins(to get higher levels), he is working with a sports psychologist since three years, he hopes that his Gene Kelly SP program choreographed by Robin Cousins will be entertaining, he will use Exogenisis for his LP because he get shivers from the music, he choreographs his programs a lot himself, he would love to win his 4th US national title, but to be an Olympian again(and this time win a medal) is his main goal.

Go guy :love: Do or die :laugh:

I thought it is a fact that gold and silver at US nationals will go to olympics/worlds. Jeremy talks about it in his interview and I get the impression he also accepts it as a fact.

To be honest i hope the kids Jason and Josh blow everyone out of the water. Then we will know it's a new time in US Mens skating and it's over for Evan, Jeremy, Johnny etc etc. Enough of skaters just good enough to get by like Minor or Rippon too.
But can they? Do you mean this season? US skaters, men and ladies, are great at the international junior level, but then not so successful. I think it's impossible to predict who will be the male olympians. US has a bunch of good, interesting male skaters at the same level, but IMO not a medal contender….haha, I hope i'm wrong

Side topic: I really like the Jennifer/Dave interview. I remember Jennifer as a skater. Is the guy also a former skater? They act so natural, relaxed, funny and friendly towards Jeremy and still ask interesting questions. Some US TV broadcasting figure skating should engage them :thumbsup:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Must say I'm excited about the Gene Kelly program :love:
And I have no problem with Jeremy on the team so long as he earns it by skating well and at least tries (a) quad(s). Ugh why can't there be 3 spots?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought it is a fact that gold and silver at US nationals will go to olympics/worlds. Jeremy talks about it in his interview and I get the impression he also accepts it as a fact.

I believe it is written in the USFSA constitution that only the National Champion is guaranteed a spot on the team. It's just that to send the silver medallist is tradition.

glennprince3

Spectator
Hard to think that if Max and Evan skate well that Jeremy will get the nod, but neither of those things are guaranteed. And while Jeremy is inconsistent in International competitions, when he puts it together, the judging system does seem to reward him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I dont think Evan is even likely to come back, and even if he does he probably wont skate that well, and even if he did I could easily see him missing the team in favor of Abbott who usually skates well at NAtionals, and pretty easily beats Evan at Nationals when he has. Evan is no huge favorite of the USFSA anymore, they even interfered with his comeback in 2011-2012. I predict no gifts for him at Nationals in the unlikely event he returns and he will have to skate spectacularly, probably with atleast 1 quad, to even make the team (again in the unlikely event he even shows which I doubt).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Big talk but who can walk the walk. Let's get ready folks for flying feathers and sequins. It's Oly year and there's going to be big trouble. Bring it on boys. Show what you got or go home :) hee hee hee :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I was thinking of this year's Nationals, which sent Aaron and Miner to World's. Aaron and Abbott would have been a better choice, in my opinion.
On what grounds?

On the grounds that Abbott deserved to be 2nd at Nationals. He won the SP and his PCS for the LP, even with a flawed performance, really should have been 10 points ahead of the other guys.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On the grounds that Abbott deserved to be 2nd at Nationals. He won the SP and his PCS for the LP, even with a flawed performance, really should have been 10 points ahead of the other guys.

Bull he should have been. He was lucky not to be pewter. The silver medallist should not boast a bunch of doubled jumps. And honestly, his LP was a yawn-fest.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Bull he should have been. He was lucky not to be pewter. The silver medallist should not boast a bunch of doubled jumps. And honestly, his LP was a yawn-fest.
Agree. The SP was great, but the LP was "tooooooooooo artistry"...boring.