Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Abbott finished?

Custom Title
    Must say I'm excited about the Gene Kelly program
    And I have no problem with Jeremy on the team so long as he earns it by skating well and at least tries (a) quad(s). Ugh why can't there be 3 spots?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Dave is an adult skater, and was a journalism major in college.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    I thought it is a fact that gold and silver at US nationals will go to olympics/worlds. Jeremy talks about it in his interview and I get the impression he also accepts it as a fact.
    I believe it is written in the USFSA constitution that only the National Champion is guaranteed a spot on the team. It's just that to send the silver medallist is tradition.

Rinkside
    Hard to think that if Max and Evan skate well that Jeremy will get the nod, but neither of those things are guaranteed. And while Jeremy is inconsistent in International competitions, when he puts it together, the judging system does seem to reward him.

Banned
    I dont think Evan is even likely to come back, and even if he does he probably wont skate that well, and even if he did I could easily see him missing the team in favor of Abbott who usually skates well at NAtionals, and pretty easily beats Evan at Nationals when he has. Evan is no huge favorite of the USFSA anymore, they even interfered with his comeback in 2011-2012. I predict no gifts for him at Nationals in the unlikely event he returns and he will have to skate spectacularly, probably with atleast 1 quad, to even make the team (again in the unlikely event he even shows which I doubt).

Custom Title
    Dang! I was hoping to see Kurt Browning work with Patrick Chan on a Gene Kelly program :(

Custom Title
    Big talk but who can walk the walk. Let's get ready folks for flying feathers and sequins. It's Oly year and there's going to be big trouble. Bring it on boys. Show what you got or go home hee hee hee

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I was thinking of this year's Nationals, which sent Aaron and Miner to World's. Aaron and Abbott would have been a better choice, in my opinion.
    On what grounds?
    On the grounds that Abbott deserved to be 2nd at Nationals. He won the SP and his PCS for the LP, even with a flawed performance, really should have been 10 points ahead of the other guys.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    On the grounds that Abbott deserved to be 2nd at Nationals. He won the SP and his PCS for the LP, even with a flawed performance, really should have been 10 points ahead of the other guys.
    Bull he should have been. He was lucky not to be pewter. The silver medallist should not boast a bunch of doubled jumps. And honestly, his LP was a yawn-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Bull he should have been. He was lucky not to be pewter. The silver medallist should not boast a bunch of doubled jumps. And honestly, his LP was a yawn-fest.
    Agree. The SP was great, but the LP was "tooooooooooo artistry"...boring.

If his LP was a yawn-fest, then Miner's was a coma-fest. Farris was better but still on a significantly lower level than Abbott in that regard.

Custom Title
    I think 2nd through 4th places could have been shuffled around in any order with a valid argument for any of those three guys finishing in whichever order. And while I do think either Abbott or Farris would have finished higher than 14th at Worlds, the chances of either holding off Takahashi for 6th (or higher) and getting 3 spots would have been slim to none. So in the end it would not have made a difference. Plus I doubt Miner will be getting such PCS inflation at Nationals next year seeing as he didn't do well at 4CC or Worlds and skaters who finished behind him at Nationals - Dornbush, Farris, Brown, Johnson, and even a 3a less Rippon - ended their seasons much more strongly, and while Abbott's PCS at Nationals weren't as inflated compared to his international marks as some others, he also didn't skate that well so it sort of makes sense.

USFSA has made a mistake in not supporting Abbott all the way through this quadrennial. He should have been sent to Worlds in 2011, with Dornbush being sent to Junior Worlds instead, and he should have been sent this year over Miner. This lack of support has hurt him a lot, both in confidence and experience in getting to compete at Worlds. If they actually supported him in 2011 and he had that Worlds under his belt, then maybe he would have had a better showing at 2012 Worlds. He was capable of getting on the podium; his performances at Nationals would have been enough to do it. If he managed to do that at 2012 Worlds, then perhaps it would have carried over to this season and he could have made the podium again, or at least done well enough to secure 3 Olympic spots for the Men.

I don't think the USFSA should be in the business of "supporting " one skater and holding another one back. That never seems to work. Just run a fair contest at Nationals and let the chips fall as they may.

Welcome, glennprince3. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast