Is Abbott finished? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Is Abbott finished?

mskater93

Record Breaker
He landed a nice one in his SP at 4CC, and then another one, in combination, in his FS at 4CC as well. Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmYLGijC_Y (SP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBqT4DgqkEI (FS)

Also, Dornbush's score at Finlandia was higher than Miner's at NHK, and their results at the other two internationals each attended in the fall were pretty comparable - not bad but not great. Dornbush also had the flu at Nationals which definitely didn't help matters. With clean skates I think he could have maybe placed 6th at Worlds.

Completely not buying this. Max Aaron who had no international rep whatsoever beat him at 4CC. Aaron didn't skate quite as good in the LP at Worlds as he did at 4CC but he ended up 7th. Dornbush at his absolute best MIGHT have beaten Aaron for 7th considering the popped 4S and hitting the boards on the 3A, but there is NO way he would have beaten Taka even though he skated horribly and Reynolds had a big enough lead after SP that he wouldn't have beaten him (on home ground) either. The American men had they been at their absolute best this year would have been 7+8

A bunch of naive fans who think he is actually going to show (snickers) will buy tickets, and thus boost ticket sales.

I don't think so.

How do you know he's in need financially?

According to this site, Lysacek is worth US$ 10,000,000.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/evan-lysacek-net-worth/

I don't believe it. More conservative estimates say he made about a million from his Olympic gold medal, another million from Dancing with the Stars, and maybe another million for other stuff like touring with SOI, along with endorsements and public appearances.

Icey

Record Breaker
How do you know he's in need financially?

As for Abbott being finished? I don't know that any of us has that crystal ball to determine he's done. I still think Jeremy has some great skating left in him and when he's "on" he's fabulous. Just wish he could skate with his skates instead of his head.

Jeremy may have some great skating left in him, but it will not be imo great competitive skating.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plus Jeremy just turned 28 yesterday. His body is getting worn down and he can't jump like he used too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Evan won't be pulling out this time. He needs the Olympics financially and he knows that he needs to compete before Nationals to make sure the programs are comfortable enough.

If any US man doesn't need financial help, it's Lysacek. Did you forget he's the reigning Olympic gold medalist? And he has immense popularity with the American audiences, particularly after placing 2nd on Dancing with the Stars.

I don't think he would pull out pre-Nationals, unless he legitimately felt that he wasn't prepared. He knows the other guys he's against have bigger tricks and seems like he's rolling the dice.

Like Abbott though, he'll need a quad on the World stage and I'd be pretty made if Miner or Aaron were left off the team thanks to inflated PCS from Abbott/Lysacek, when they're so much more capable (even if they aren't as big a name).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think so.

According to this site, Lysacek is worth US$ 10,000,000.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/evan-lysacek-net-worth/

I don't believe it. More conservative estimates say he made about a million from his Olympic gold medal, another million from Dancing with the Stars, and maybe another million for other stuff like touring with SOI, along with endorsements and public appearances.

I rather doubt Evan is worth ten million maybe a million. I would garner to guess Sasha Cohen is worth more than him. He won gold and I am sure he is a nice guy but his personality is underwhelming compared to Johnny Weir and he is no Michelle kwan or even the beauty and interest of Cohen. HE is not as recognizeable as even Johnny Weir I read so I doubt he is ten mil.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No, a million is not so small. It will buy him a lot of fake and bake time :) and discount vera wang outfits :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd be pretty made if Miner or Aaron were left off the team thanks to inflated PCS from Abbott/Lysacek, when they're so much more capable (even if they aren't as big a name).

Hey, CSG, a miracle has happened.

We agree on something!

Evan got about 350,000 for his DWTS stint.

I think when they estimate the value of gigs like this they also factor in the extra opportunities that come later as a result of the favorable publicity. Like, Kristi Yamaguchi's Dancing with the Stars stint brought her back into the public eye and helped her promote her sports clothing line, her children's books, etc.

I remember reading that back in the day (that is, Dorothy Hamill's day), the total value of an Olympic gold medal by an American woman was pegged at 10 to 15 million dollars. Kristi didn't make that much, raising the specter of racism. Tara didn't make nearly that much, reflecting both the beginning of the change in status of figure skating in the U.S. in general and also the popularity of the silver medalist, who stole some of Tara's financial thunder.

Antiloquy

Rinkside
If any US man doesn't need financial help, it's Lysacek. Did you forget he's the reigning Olympic gold medalist? And he has immense popularity with the American audiences, particularly after placing 2nd on Dancing with the Stars.

Eh, I wouldn't say that at all. He may be OGM, but very few Americans care about figure skating, much less men's figure skating (homophobia at work here, though that's not all). He was runner-up on DWTS, which was a tired show even in 2010 and is currently tanking in part because the "Stars" are all barely C-list celebs or people who were popular when Gen Y weren't even born. Whatever USFSA is intending by putting Evan on the SA lineup, be it prepping him to be a contender for Nats/Olympics or simply getting butts in the seat for the home country competition, they're going to be disappointed.

I love Jeremy and it pains me that he's had such an inconsistent career. Regardless of his placements in the international scheme of things, I just want his last competitive performances to be ones that he's happy with.