Greensboro2015 | Golden Skate

Greensboro2015

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Greensboro 2015 is now taking reservations for rooms at the three event hotels through the official website.
There is no charge for reservations and you can cancel up to the last minute.
I like the DoubleTree myself. But the others are fine too. Lots of good restaurants,
great shuttle service, and a brand new ( renovated) arena with attached practice rink with
real (brand new cushioned) seats. I had a good time there and have talked with the organizers a number of times
before attending the last nats there the last time and they were very fan oriented. Once they had nats they
were very interested in getting it back. I am glad they did. And it didnt hurt that it was warmer than Spokane
and that AC won the ladies, either!:laugh:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not Chris :), but the other 2 hotels are the new Hampton Inn & Suites which I believe is directly across High Point Rd. from the Doubletree and the Sheraton located at the nearby mall.

The Sheraton and Doubletree were the official hotels in 2011. The Hampton wasn't built until after the 2011 Nationals.

I used the Doubletree last time and it was very nice.

Prices for hotels: Sheraton $155; Doubletree $119; Hampton Inn & Suites $129.

I'm wondering if Chris has heard anything about the cost of the shuttle for 2015.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No, I have not asked Faryn or Hill about the price of the shuttle. Last time, IIRC, the shuttle was offered for price "X" ($100?) in mid summer and then again at price "Y" ($150?) later on. I asked the shuttle bus driver about the buses and he said, again IIRC, that his company rents the buses for $1500 a day with driver. If you have three or four buses, this can get expensive. I am sure the credentialed folk (you know who you are) dont pay. I used the shuttle to go to all those fine restauarants around the hotels and then back to the event, or even to just go back to the hotel and take a nap. By the end of day two, Faryn and Hill had the buses running smoothly and I thought they were a big asset.
MFarone, be glad you aren't chris....I have nine vacations scheduled this year...I am exhausted already....! plus iluvtodd , Doris and Mrs. P wont come over and dig dandylions on my 15 acres....slackers! :laugh:
Chris who dug 61 dandylions today

I'm not Chris :), but the other 2 hotels are the new Hampton Inn & Suites which I believe is directly across High Point Rd. from the Doubletree and the Sheraton located at the nearby mall.

The Sheraton and Doubletree were the official hotels in 2011. The Hampton wasn't built until after the 2011 Nationals.

I used the Doubletree last time and it was very nice.

Prices for hotels: Sheraton $155; Doubletree $119; Hampton Inn & Suites $129.

I'm wondering if Chris has heard anything about the cost of the shuttle for 2015.

No, I have not asked Faryn or Hill about the price of the shuttle. Last time, IIRC, the shuttle was offered for price "X" ($100?) in mid summer and then again at price "Y" ($150?) later on. I asked the shuttle bus driver about the buses and he said, again IIRC, that his company rents the buses for $1500 a day with driver. If you have three or four buses, this can get expensive. I am sure the credentialed folk (you know who you are) dont pay. I used the shuttle to go to all those fine restauarants around the hotels and then back to the event, or even to just go back to the hotel and take a nap. By the end of day two, Faryn and Hill had the buses running smoothly and I thought they were a big asset.
MFarone, be glad you aren't chris....I have nine vacations scheduled this year...I am exhausted already....! plus iluvtodd , Doris and Mrs. P wont come over and dig dandylions on my 15 acres....slackers! :laugh:

Wish I could help you dig dandelions, Chris. It would probably turn out to be one of the many things I am not good at, but I'd give it a try. But no, I'm due at my desk tomorrow. Wanna come help me edit social studies lessons? Some rewriting may be involved. Only 24 units have to be in by the end of the month.

It's great to have a shuttle available, especially in an unfamiliar town. Lots of areas these days don't have easily available mass transit, and there's nothing worse than being stranded somewhere and maybe even missing an event--or your plane out of there!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MFarone, thanks for the hotel info. :)

9 vacations! You'll need a vacation from all that!

We are slackers? LOL! We live 3,000 miles away!

Looking forward to the shuttle info updates too. I forget the name of the hotel where we stayed last time, but the shuttle stopped there, and it ran very smoothly. :clap:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We used the Day's Inn AFAIR when we went to Greensboro Nationals 2011. The rooms were fine, and the price was very attractive (well under 100$). However, no skaters were there.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Chris I don't think I would survive 9 vacations :laugh:. I do have a couple of skating related events this summer and will be thrilled to attend! I made it to Skate Canada last fall (which I loved), but didn't attend Nationals in Omaha.

Chris I had a conversation back in Feb. 2012 about the cost of the Greensboro shuttle in 2011. Several people remembed the initial cost of the shuttle being $30. Perhaps the price went from $30 to $50 later in the fall. I would be willing to pay quite a bit for a shuttle since using public transportation or walking many blocks late at night (particularly early in the week) is something I am not willing to do. Physically the walking isn't an issue, but I just don't feel safe.

Maybe the next time Spokane hosts Nationals I'll help you pull weeds :p

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh, I can TEACH you to dig dandylions! I am pretty good at social studies and history....OK, more like a loose cannon when I teach....I have found people dont necessarily want to hear the truth....it can get ugly.....
Ref the shuttles.....even though there is public transportation and taxis, I have found a good shuttle is a tremendous time and stress saver....You can easily sit in your seat for 100 hours at Nats.....and socialize during meals....the shuttle can save lots of time and just make things easy....

Wish I could help you dig dandelions, Chris. It would probably turn out to be one of the many things I am not good at, but I'd give it a try. But no, I'm due at my desk tomorrow. Wanna come help me edit social studies lessons? Some rewriting may be involved. Only 24 units have to be in by the end of the month.

It's great to have a shuttle available, especially in an unfamiliar town. Lots of areas these days don't have easily available mass transit, and there's nothing worse than being stranded somewhere and maybe even missing an event--or your plane out of there!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I did note that there were a series of more inexpensive hotels very close when I planned the first trip to Gboro.. If one had a car or was were willing to take cabs and mass transit, one could save some bucks. I tend to spoil myself in old age, I guess.
Chris the spoiled rotten brat

We used the Day's Inn AFAIR when we went to Greensboro Nationals 2011. The rooms were fine, and the price was very attractive (well under 100$). However, no skaters were there.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: shuttle costs.....Wow...well, that goes to show you my memory....old age isnt for sissies...I will have to ask Faryn or Hill...I would have sworn on a stack of bibles it was $100.
The mile walk wasnt bad...we did it during the day early in the week for exersise...but it is time consuming and at night, I wouldnt do it....
Thanks for the weed offer! I have signed you up for a tent space on my 15 acre lawn in January....:laugh:

Chris I don't think I would survive 9 vacations :laugh:. I do have a couple of skating related events this summer and will be thrilled to attend! I made it to Skate Canada last fall (which I loved), but didn't attend Nationals in Omaha.

Chris I had a conversation back in Feb. 2012 about the cost of the Greensboro shuttle in 2011. Several people remembed the initial cost of the shuttle being $30. Perhaps the price went from $30 to $50 later in the fall. I would be willing to pay quite a bit for a shuttle since using public transportation or walking many blocks late at night (particularly early in the week) is something I am not will to do. Physically the walking isn't an issue, but I just don't feel safe.

Maybe the next time Spokane hosts Nationals I'll help you pull weeds :p

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you have a car, and a disabled sticker, you will still need to buy a parking pass to park in the disabled spaces at Gboro, if it is like 2011.