American Idol 3 | Golden Skate

American Idol 3

mike79

On the Ice
Tonight's the night for all of you AI fans. Can't wait to see the new talent, especially from Hawaii. Apparently the judges are saying the women are sounding better than the guys this time around.

So how long until we start hearing:

Randy: "Yo dawg, it was aiight."

Paula: "You really made that song your own."

Simon: "I don't mean to be rude, but..."

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I love the first few rounds of AI far more than I do when they narrow the field down to 12. I worked in casting for a number of years and would have LOVED to been able to speak my mind the way Simon does. I witnessed some truly awful auditions and would often have to bite the inside of my cheek and dig my nails into my palms to keep from laughing. Of course such work allowed me to perfect my poker face! Still, it would have been satisfying to tell some of the auditioners what I REALLY thought :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I can't wait either.......got the old VCR primed and ready......42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*sigh* I want to see this, but at the same time I want to go to the movies LOL

I'm so very excited... I plan to vote and everything again this season... I think I'm the only Clay fan who's pshyched for the third season... maybe that's why a lot of Clay fans hate me LOL (that and I liked and AGREED with Simon last year a lot of the time)

heyang

Record Breaker
I know there's more talent in NY than all the wanna-bees they showed.

Liked scooter girl - at least she's fun. Actually, all of the people who are going to Hollywood were in good voice.

What do you think of the girl who cleared the bar? I still think 'like a virgin' Keith from AI2 is the worst so far.

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow, a whole hour devoted to NY and we barely got to see anyone sing!

Check out Randy's new svelte look - his face looks so different, but I wouldn't have known what it was if I hadn't seen him on the cover of People holding a pair of jeans that could fit 2 of him now!

I actually felt sorry for some of the people they showed tonight. Not because I thought they were good or should have gone through, but there were a few people who weren't horrendous, and Randy and Simon were just guffawing all the way through their song. Also, the bar girl was bad, but definitely NOT the worst of the bunch. It was embarrassing to watch her warble her way through the song while people were leaving, especially with the guy at the end who stayed who gave her some money - I thought he had a creepy interest in her.

I was really glad that Scooter Girl was good, because she talked about some serious difficulties she's had, and I was afraid they were just going to make her look really bad and pathetic.

Of the 2 brothers, I thought the older one was great, the younger one had the same nice voice, but no sense of timing. Nice story though.

No one will ever beat Keith!! :love:

guinevere

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I swear the larger % of people are not delusional about their abilities. That was more prevalent in the first two editions. But now the popularity of AI brings out those people who KNOW that they are bad and just want their 15 seconds of fame. That's the REAL competition in these early rounds. Who can make the broadcast by being the most outrageous and gimmicky.

I was surprised by Simon's impression of Scooter Girl. He didn't seem to enjoy - I think her name was Vanessa? The Cyndi Lauper type? - last year. And I didn't think Scotter girl's voice was anything special at all. I'll surprised if she moves on.

I did like the redhead Dean Martin type. He's quite the crooner. It'll be interesting to see if he can be versatile. I'm betting not, but wouldn't mind inviting him to serenade me with some classic tunes! ;)

I don't feel bad for the contestants at all when the judges laugh and are snarky with their comments. We're seeing it edited. You try sitting in a room for 8-10 hours listening/seeing 99% drivel and see if you don't go out of your mind!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally I think Simon by this point should be picking his battles a little better -- I mean, if you're going to sit through that many bad auditions, you should save the TRULY SCALDING comments for the REALLY AND TRULY HIDEOUS. He went completely over the top on skewering some people who really, in relation to others, weren't THAT bad.
I actually thought that the black girls, the twins, were not NEARLY as bad as Randy, Paula, and Simon, made them out to be; I think they were just a little LOUD. I think that had they sung one at a time, they would have made it.

mike79

On the Ice
I think Scooter Girl was great. Sandee, you make a great point by bringing up Vanessa from last year. I think it's that bubbly personality that they have in common.

The red head guy was good, but he seems like the type who won't get anywhere because he'll pigeon-hole himself, although hopefully not.

The guy who sang Unchained Melody was not nearly as good as Simon said he was. I found it boring and monotonous, not to mention that the guy seemed super-cocky. Clay Aiken did a much better version of that song last year.

Johar

Medalist
heyang said:
I know there's more talent in NY than all the wanna-bees they showed.

Liked scooter girl - at least she's fun. Actually, all of the people who are going to Hollywood were in good voice.

What do you think of the girl who cleared the bar? I still think 'like a virgin' Keith from AI2 is the worst so far.

I agree with you 100 percent--Keith's 'like a Virgin' was far worse than bar girl's singing.

jenny12

Rinkside
Highlight of the night was the gal who sang Route 66.

I thought most of the contestants, even the supposedly good
ones, were pretty bad. Hopefully we see better ones tonight.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
am I the only one who thought Scooter Girl's song to be really stupid. Thankfully she has a good voice... but all of her made up songs were really really lame LOL

I loved John(?) the crooner... he's cute and he can *sang*
I also really liked Michael, the one who sang Unchained Melody... he's cute too LOL

CB1AB2

Medalist
I thought Scotter girl was good=

I don't know how the Red head kid will do=has a good voice- but

What about the girl who sang== no no no no no== and Simon's response ==no no no no no== I had to laugh at that one

As for the girl who went and sang in the bar=she tangled with the wrong judge=no one tells Simon that he's wrong and get's away with it=she kinda set herself up=

Mr.D

Rinkside
lol...yes, definitely lots of hilarity going on with these auditions.

Bar girl...oh man...what do you say about that. She was pretty awful.

Scootergirl was interesting...she definitely sounds more broadway than anything, but we'll see where she goes.

Now, on to the Atlanta night tonight...

The girl with the pink hair is someone i talked with a bit during the second round auditions there. (yes, i made it to the 2nd round...that's the round right before Paula/Randy/Simon). I heard her sing much better than she did at the televised audition, and I'm glad she made it through because she's got an awesome voice. She's always that perky though. :laugh:

I also met that guy that sang 'over the rainbow'. When I met him there, it definitely confirmed for me that they were letting through some...um...less than stellar...singers. he's a nice guy though!

It's a shame though...with all of the talented people I met in Atlanta during the 2nd round, I hate that they have to turn away so many good people so they could put others through to make fun of them. But oh well...they need ratings, so I guess it's what they needed to do.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thought I would watch tonight and YUK. When that second one started singing I changed to Billy Graham. They were realllllllllllly bad.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My thoughts after the second night.........my fav so far is the guy in the Elvis suit........his voice was awesome, he didn't need a costume. It will be interesting to see if the gal Paula told to change her hair color will in fact do so.............you've got to hand it to Paula for at least trying to keep a straight face when some of the singers had less than pleasant voices.........42

jenny12

Rinkside
I thought the guy who sang desperado wasn't bad last night. Oh yeah, I forgot about the guy in the elvis suit!:D

heyang

Record Breaker
What! - No comments about Mr Hung's Ricky Martin impression. OMG - he set the image of the Chinese immigrant back 60 years. I must admit that my cousins and I laughed, but partly out of horror. I'll give the guy kudos for trying, though and, at least, he wasn't desperate like Like-A-Virgin Keith.