Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have any Latin American skaters ever made it to the Olympics? In recent years? Or ever?

I have a vague recollection of a lady from Mexico some time ago, but it's so vague I can't trust the memory to be accurate.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Answering my own question from above regarding skaters from Latin countries:

Figure skating was included in the 1908 Summer Olympics in London. Horratio Torreme was Argentina's lone competitor at that Olympic Games, and he placed 7th in Men's Singles.

Born in Buenos Aires, lived in London. Named to the British team, but skated for his homeland. He finished last in men's singles, but was also a judge for the pairs event... in the same Games. LOL. Not likely to see that nowadays.

Mexico has had 4 Singles skaters: 1988 and 1992, a man and a woman each year. They do not have individual pages created on wikipedia, so I can't include anything for them.

I hope another Latin skater makes it! Also rooting for Iceland (how can they fail to be a power from a country named that???), Team OZ, and my sentimental favorites: Turkey!

Edit for correction: Mr Torreme was born in Rio, not Buenos Aires. Wikipedia leaves it a mystery as to how a man born in Brazil, living in London, came to represent Argentina. If his date of birth is accurate, he was 47 or thereabouts in 1908.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Born in Buenos Aires, lived in London. Named to the British team, but skated for his homeland. He finished last in men's singles, but was also a judge for the pairs event... in the same Games. LOL. Not likely to see that nowadays.
:laugh::cool:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is South Korea likely to have 3 ladies with qualifying scores? If not, someone else gets the spot based on their finish at Nebelhorn correct?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is South Korea likely to have 3 ladies with qualifying scores? If not, someone else gets the spot based on their finish at Nebelhorn correct?

Yuna and So-Yeon should definitely qualify easily, Hae-Jin is also more than capable of getting the minimum scores so long as she doesn't bomb her JGP events. Last season she was all over the place, winning one JGP and then scoring 60 something in the FS at JW...her jumps are a bit scary and puberty seems to have derailed her skating a bit, but she's still a strong skater and jumper when she's on. It would be nice to see her qualify for the Olympics.

seabm7

Final Flight
^^ If I remember correctly, the qualifying scores can be obtained from both the last and the current season. So Korea already has 4 age-eligible ladies with the qualifying scores for the olympics: Yuna, So-Yeon, Hae-Jin, and a newcomer named CHOI Hwi (born January 1998).

In addition, KWAK Min-Jeong is back to training. Personally, I wish her to take the load carefully, not pushing herself too much.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Very glad that Jason is making his senior international debut here, without any pressure to deliver Olympic spots for the US. I would not be surprised if he wins the entire event. I'm also looking forward to Kiira's return to competition.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Men's Event

Countries that are competing but have already qualified spots.
Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Japan, Russia Federation, United States

Podium Predictions

1. Nobunari Oda JPN
2. Jason Brown USA
3. Artur Dmitirev RUS

Wildcard Recipient predictions
1. Michael Christian Martinez PHI
2. Maciej Cieplucha POL
3. Yakov Godorozha UKR
4. Zoltan Kelemen ROU
5. Kim Lucine MON
6. Jin Seo Kim KOR

Other skaters who have potential to qualify

Patel Ignatenko BLR
Brendan Kerry AUS Brendan got 192 pts at Skate Down under but he is without a quad at the moment!
Luiz Manella BRA
Hon Choe PRK
Justis Strid DEN
Paul Bonifacio Parkinson ITA
Phillip Harris GBR
Ronald Lam HKG
Alexei Bychenko ISR
Stephane Walker SUI

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ladies' Event

United States, Canada, Russia Federation, Sweden, Estonia, Germany

*Kiira Korpi has partially torn her Achilles and has withdrawn This is extremely heartbreaking because it will most likely mean that Finland will not have a spot for the Ladies' event at the Olympics. :no:
*Miki Ando is competing again

Podium Predictions
1. Elena Radionova RUS
2. Miki Ando JPN
3. Elena Glebova EST

1. Sonia Lafuente ESP
2. Elene Gedevanishvili GEO
3. Brooklee Han AUS
4. Kerstin Frank AUT
5. Anita Madsen DEN
6. Fleur Maxwell LUX

Kaat Van Daele BEL
Isadora Williams BRA
Alina Fjordorova LAT
Reyna Hamui MEX
Anne Line Gjersem NOR
Alisson Krystle Percticheto PHI
Sila Saygi TUR

GF2445

Record Breaker
Pairs Event

Russia Federation, Germany, Canada, France, United States

* France's Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres have withdrawn due to injury.

Podium Predictions
1. Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov RUS
2. Natasha Purich/Mervin Tran CAN
3. Narumi Takahashi/Ryuchi Kihara JPN

1. Julia Lavrentieva/Yuri Rudyk UKR
2. Narumi Takahashi/Ryuchi Kihara JPN
3. Stacey Kemp/David King GBR
4. Andrea Davidovich/ Evgeni Krasnopolski ISR

Magdalene Klatka/Radoslaw Chrusciski POL
Elizaveta Makarova/Leri Kenchadze BUL
So Hyang Pak/ Nam I Song PRK You can never really tell with the North Koreans!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ice Dance Event

United States, Canada, Russia Federation, Germany, Ukraine

Podium Predictions
1. Ksenia Monko/Kirill Khaliavin RUS
2. Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue USA
3. Siobhan Heekin-Canedy/Dmitri Dun UKR

1. Sara Hurtado/Adria Diaz ESP
2. Danielle O'Brien/Gregory Merriman AUS
3. Cathy Reed/Chris Reed JPN
4. Alisa Agafonova/Alper Ucar TUR
5. Ramona Elsenor/Florian Roost SUI

Other skaters who have potential to qualify There are so many deserving couples but there are just not enough spaces! If one of my five predicted couples error, there is every chance that any of the couples below can qualify.
Kira Geil/Tobia Eisenbauer AUT
Xintong Huang/Xun Zheng CHN
Irena Shtork/Taavi Rand EST
Angelina Telegina/Otar Jarparidze GEO
Allison Reed/Vasili Rogov ISR There are reports saying that Allison Reed won't be able to receive citizenship in time for the Olympics. If these reports are true it means that they are out of contention.
Justyna Plutowska/Peter Gerber POL
Federica Testa/Lukas Csolley SVK

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Luiz Manella won Liberty in Sr. men's. I certainly wouldn't count him out to snag an Olympic spot for Brazil!

GF2445

Record Breaker
I found it odd that some nations elected to not send their national champion to the qualifying event. It makes absolutely no sense to send a nation's no. 2 skater to Nebelhorn.
Going to Nebelhorn is not about individuals qualifying a spot, but skaters trying to grab a quota spot for their country.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan Kerry just showed that he is a very good chance to qualify for the Olympics!