Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Melissa Bulanhagui @melbulanhagui has been letting off steam today via Twitter :eek::

@thatcatwoman I'm really hurt. My career is over and I hAtey frderat@

Good choice Philippines,

My federation blows #favoritism #isaywhatiwant #mature #dontcare

Ha I care #whatever

I guess not everyone can be as classy as Kiira!!! She may not want the door to hit her on the way out.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I guess not everyone can be as classy as Kiira!!! She may not want the door to hit her on the way out.

On the other hand she says herself her career is over, so if she really feels that way/ is sure she is retiring now, no real point in not letting loose.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the other hand she says herself her career is over, so if she really feels that way/ is sure she is retiring now, no real point in not letting loose.

Yes I guess her career is over (voluntary/involuntary #whatever #dontcare) and if that's the way she wants to go out and be remembered then more power to her and good riddance :laugh:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
She may come to regret those bitter tweets later, but I have a feeling that there's been more behind the scenes going on between her and the Phils Federation for some time, beyond not being assigned to Nebelhorn.

brightphoton

Medalist
Is here career really over, just like that? Are there no more qualifying competitions for Melissa B. to enter?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Ah, I hadn't seen that article before. It doesn't sound like the Philippine Federation was ever more than lukewarm about her coming to skate for them in the first place. If they were, and made some sort of indication to her that she'd be welcomed and supported, then boo to them for reneging. If they did not and she changed countries based on assumptions or taking a gamble, then I think what's transpired is more on her, for overestimating her value as an athlete for the Phils.

But given that the new ladies favorite is no more "local" to the Phils than she is--and maybe has even less links--my first thought is that selection of Philippine competitors for major competitions is indeed hinging on "alternative methodologies" vs competition results.

At any rate, I think Melissa's competitive career is over. Hopefully she can get past the bitterness and extreme disappointment, and find new direction in coaching or some other venture in life. I do wish her well.

brightphoton

Medalist
That's a shame. Melissa B must've misread the political situation or didn't get a good politiker on her team. Might as well have given it a shot, she would've never gone anywhere had she stayed with Team USA.

How does this new minimum score requirement work with the guaranteed spots rule (assuming that the Philippines has 1 guaranteed spot)? What happens if that current Philippines "it girl" suffers some horrific injury and can't compete, and no one else has the minimum score? Does the spot for the Philippines go away, or is the minimum score requirement waived for someone like Melissa B?

Also, what is the opportunity level for smaller federations to get their skaters the minimum scores? I always thought the number of senior Bs and summer competitions was up the wazoo.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's a shame. Melissa B must've misread the political situation or didn't get a good politiker on her team. Might as well have given it a shot, she would've never gone anywhere had she stayed with Team USA.

How does this new minimum score requirement work with the guaranteed spots rule (assuming that the Philippines has 1 guaranteed spot)? What happens if that current Philippines "it girl" suffers some horrific injury and can't compete, and no one else has the minimum score? Does the spot for the Philippines go away, or is the minimum score requirement waived for someone like Melissa B?

Your assumption is false. The whole point is that the Philippines did NOT earn a spot at the Olympics in the ladies' competition.
If I understand correctly, Bulanhagui's gripe is that she would have been a better bet to compete at Nebelhorn in order to secure an Olympic spot for a lady from the Philippines.

Skaters from Australia, Georgia, Norway, Austria, Czech Republic and Brazil earned the six Olympic spots for the ladies.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Susanna Rahkamo ‏@ssusu
As long there is time there is hope @kiirakorpi_fi. Let's keep on fighting.
11:52 AM - 30 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/ssusu/statuses/384752542334582784

Hmmmm ...how many countries would have to give up Olympic spots before Finland would get one for ladies??
(Apologies if the answer already is available somewhere in the Nebelhorn thread ... )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice pic From ISU's Facebook page:
Photo: Alisa Agafonova & Alper Ucar of Turkey celebrate after receiving their score and earning their country a spot for The Olympic Games.
©Getty Images
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...77797.216470391715011&type=1&relevant_count=1

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
How unfortunate for Kiira. The Olympics really is about showcasing the best the World has to offer and it sucks that Kiira has little chance of even showing up because of that injury.

russell30

Final Flight
How unfortunate for Kiira. The Olympics really is about showcasing the best the World has to offer and it sucks that Kiira has little chance of even showing up because of that injury.

I think first and foremost Kiira wants to be healthy, I don't think the Olympics is on her mind, Kiira just wants to get better!!, what I like about Kiira she is a fighter!!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hmmmm ...how many countries would have to give up Olympic spots before Finland would get one for ladies??
(Apologies if the answer already is available somewhere in the Nebelhorn thread ... )
I think two spots would have to materialize. Lithuania has the first alternate spot, then Finland. It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened in skating history.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Repost from FSUniverse
From Michael Martinez' Facebook:

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers.
Thank you to the Philippine Skating Union for their continued support .
Thank you to SM Prime Holdings for their financial support.
Thank you to all my coaches in the U.S. & Philippines !
It’s official, I will represent the country in the 2014 Winter Olympics
In Sochi, Russia !

Congrats MCM! :rock:

ice coverage

Record Breaker