Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    i'd love to see brooklee, brendan and danielle & gregory all make the olympics!
    australia for the team event!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'd love to see it!! And they did have 2 pairs on the JGP this last year, so they'd be able to fill the pairs spot too

#TeamAUS
    Hey everyone.

It's been a few months since the last post.
    The new season is upon us and there will be a few internationals before Nebelhorn. Who do you think can win a spot at the qualifying event?

Custom Title
    Sad news: Australia doesn't have a Senior pair that's age-eligible. *sadface*

Custom Title
    I'm sorry to hear that, Karne. I'd love to see Oz become a presence in skating in all disciplines.

Custom Title
    I could see Brazil getting one of the spots for the ladies. Isadora Williams placed 25th in the SP at worlds, and she seems to have all her triples except for the loop.
    Here is her LP from a club competition earlier this summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvPKUGDJPU

Custom Title
    The only thing I care about is Elene getting a spot. She is too talented not to qualify.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Have any Latin American skaters ever made it to the Olympics? In recent years? Or ever?

I have a vague recollection of a lady from Mexico some time ago, but it's so vague I can't trust the memory to be accurate.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Answering my own question from above regarding skaters from Latin countries:

Figure skating was included in the 1908 Summer Olympics in London. Horratio Torreme was Argentina's lone competitor at that Olympic Games, and he placed 7th in Men's Singles.

Born in Buenos Aires, lived in London. Named to the British team, but skated for his homeland. He finished last in men's singles, but was also a judge for the pairs event... in the same Games. LOL. Not likely to see that nowadays.

Mexico has had 4 Singles skaters: 1988 and 1992, a man and a woman each year. They do not have individual pages created on wikipedia, so I can't include anything for them.

I hope another Latin skater makes it! Also rooting for Iceland (how can they fail to be a power from a country named that???), Team OZ, and my sentimental favorites: Turkey!

Edit for correction: Mr Torreme was born in Rio, not Buenos Aires. Wikipedia leaves it a mystery as to how a man born in Brazil, living in London, came to represent Argentina. If his date of birth is accurate, he was 47 or thereabouts in 1908.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Born in Buenos Aires, lived in London. Named to the British team, but skated for his homeland. He finished last in men's singles, but was also a judge for the pairs event... in the same Games. LOL. Not likely to see that nowadays.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    The only thing I care about is Elene getting a spot. She is too talented not to qualify.
    I sure hope she gets to Sochi too. What are her chances?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I sure hope she gets to Sochi too. What are her chances?
    I really have no idea, it depends which Elene shows up.

Custom Title
    Is South Korea likely to have 3 ladies with qualifying scores? If not, someone else gets the spot based on their finish at Nebelhorn correct?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Is South Korea likely to have 3 ladies with qualifying scores? If not, someone else gets the spot based on their finish at Nebelhorn correct?
    Yuna and So-Yeon should definitely qualify easily, Hae-Jin is also more than capable of getting the minimum scores so long as she doesn't bomb her JGP events. Last season she was all over the place, winning one JGP and then scoring 60 something in the FS at JW...her jumps are a bit scary and puberty seems to have derailed her skating a bit, but she's still a strong skater and jumper when she's on. It would be nice to see her qualify for the Olympics.

Tripping on the Podium
    ^^ If I remember correctly, the qualifying scores can be obtained from both the last and the current season. So Korea already has 4 age-eligible ladies with the qualifying scores for the olympics: Yuna, So-Yeon, Hae-Jin, and a newcomer named CHOI Hwi (born January 1998).

In addition, KWAK Min-Jeong is back to training. Personally, I wish her to take the load carefully, not pushing herself too much.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast