Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Hmmmm ...how many countries would have to give up Olympic spots before Finland would get one for ladies??
    (Apologies if the answer already is available somewhere in the Nebelhorn thread ... )
    I think two spots would have to materialize. Lithuania has the first alternate spot, then Finland. It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened in skating history.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I think two spots would have to materialize. Lithuania has the first alternate spot, then Finland. It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened in skating history.
    Thx for answering my question, jiejie.

Repost from FSUniverse
    From Michael Martinez' Facebook:

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers.
    Thank you to the Philippine Skating Union for their continued support .
    Thank you to SM Prime Holdings for their financial support.
    Thank you to all my coaches in the U.S. & Philippines !
    It’s official, I will represent the country in the 2014 Winter Olympics
    In Sochi, Russia !

Congrats MCM!

Tripping on the Podium
    Sad for Chris Coluza. Michael should try for a Jr title!

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Repost from FSUniverse
    From Michael Martinez' Facebook:

.... It’s official, I will represent the country in the 2014 Winter Olympics
    In Sochi, Russia !
    @ChrisCaluza
    Never will I ever go down without a fight!!! Believe that, know that, TAKE THAT!!!!!
    6:18 PM - 7 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/ChrisCaluza/stat...86478042443778

Thanks, DobrinFan. I had been wondering what prompted Caluza's tweet.

I think it's the right choice. MCM is the only Filipino who is a native to the country (born and raised), he is 16 so he is the future, has a 3axel, and the potential for more! There was speculation over at FSUniverse that it would not look good for the federation to have sent MCM to Nebelhorn and for him to win a spot only to give it away to a foreigner (Caluza).

Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    I think it's the right choice. MCM is the only Filipino who is a native to the country (born and raised), he is 16 so he is the future, has a 3axel, and the potential for more! There was speculation over at FSUniverse that it would not look good for the federation to have sent MCM to Nebelhorn and for him to win a spot only to give it away to a foreigner (Caluza).
    It would not be good but it also wouldn't be fair in a sense. He earned the spot, it should be his. I would not feel that way if Caluza was a FAR better skater than him but that isn't the reality.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    It would not be good but it also wouldn't be fair in a sense. He earned the spot, it should be his. I would not feel that way if Caluza was a FAR better skater than him but that isn't the reality.
    Agree. Right now I think Caluza is the better artist, but Martinez isn't a slouch in that department and is more likely to be able to deliver the higher technical goods. And is the future around whom a Phils men's skating program might coalesce.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    In the Ladies' event, the Olympic qualifiers are Australia, Georgia, Norway, Austria, Czech Republic & Brazil.

Lithuania is First Alternate.
    Georgia: so does this mean that Gedevanishvili is possibly headed to Sochi? If so, terrific! I'm thrilled.

I'm so sorry to hear about Kiira Korpi, though. I love her skating, and it's sad that she has such a difficult injury.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6