Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stars On Ice Canada - Opening Night In Halifax Review

Patrick's costume may be plain compared to some of the other men but I think it is ok and the relaxed look goes well with the music.
    On the plus side we get to have a peek at his fabulous abs. Thanks for posting.

Custom Title
    He can wear anything he wants but the costume really suited the music by Muddy Waters, I believe, and the skating is sublime........saw the show in Kingston, and he really sells that program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    SOI, Hamilton:

Jeff (tiny clip):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ9zMqyh2Is
    Kurt (very tiny clip ):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Fo5hZicJI
    PC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5zB-4You3A

Is it considered cool to show up in a show in some 20cent T-shirt and not in a designed costume?
    You just couldn't go without dissing him could you LOL!
    Isn't Kurt one of the original "jeans and t-shirt" wearing skaters? I don't see what the problem is, especially if one of the greatest skaters of all time started the trend. I think it looks great and goes with the music, nothing wrong with leaving out the usual sequins and flame appliqués lol.
    He seems to be nice and loose in this number now and really moves more natural and fluid. And he's having fun which is great to see. Truth be told, I was not a big fan of this routine when he first debuted it, thought it was stiff and very robotic. Can honestly say that I really enjoyed watching this video and am looking forward to the show on TV eventually.
    Would have loved to see the show, seems like it's been getting amazing reviews and I just live the cast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    You just couldn't go without dissing him could you LOL!
    Pardon my snobbish taste but in Europe stage people normally don't wear house clothes on the stage. They are supposed to invest smth. in the costume since the audience invested too when they shopped for tickets. He was in a T-shirt (same one?) at JN gala two years ago as well. Or maybe that was just for the stupid audience? It's even more funny when Chan ubers claim that fs is not popular in NA because people there don't wear semi-fomal clothes in shoppig malls. While their idol doesn't bother much on the stage as well. Feeling relax can be fine in the costume, where costume is not smth. worn outside the stage, even if it looks casual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTiE9Z1Psw And you are welcome, on your presumed "thanks" for the video link that I posted.

Btw, Ilya, who is 35yo and an OGM of 15 years ago, did in EX 3Z, 3T, 2A, i.e. pretty much the similar jump layout as the current WC with no 3A and no combo of any kind.

Custom Title
    I was at the show and loved his simple costumes that suited the music. I didn't like it when he wore the checked shirt and jeans.

Actually we wear business casual at work too. Suits are mostly reserved for weddings and funerals!

Custom Title
    Kurt doesn't just wear jeans and t-shirts, he has occasionally worn stuff straight out of his suitcase (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jen0K7vCRLc). And I think it works for him. I had no problem with the t-shirt for Patrick's program, I thought it suited the style really well. My only complaint was as a photographer, all that white was a bit featureless and my camera didn't always want to focus on him =).

Really enjoyed the show this year. Jeff Buttle and Renee Roca did an awesome job on the group choreography, IMO. Loved the opening number and closing number especially. I hope Shawn Sawyer does SOI for years to come - that guy is a born performer!

Custom Title
    Pardon my snobbish taste but in Europe stage people normally don't wear house clothes on the stage. They are supposed to invest smth. in the costume since the audience invested too when they shopped for tickets. He was in a T-shirt (same one?) at JN gala two years ago as well. Or maybe that was just for the stupid audience? It's even more funny when Chan ubers claim that fs is not popular in NA because people there don't wear semi-fomal clothes in shoppig malls. While their idol doesn't bother much on the stage as well. Feeling relax can be fine in the costume, where costume is not smth. worn outside the stage, even if it looks casual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTiE9Z1Psw And you are welcome, on your presumed "thanks" for the video link that I posted.

Btw, Ilya, who is 35yo and an OGM of 15 years ago, did in EX 3Z, 3T, 2A, i.e. pretty much the similar jump layout as the current WC with no 3A and no combo of any kind.
    Okay, I'll take the bait lol. First off, yes, thank-you for the video, I'm sorry you felt unappreciated for your efforts. 😬

Second, what would you have him do, bedazzle his jeans and t-shirt so that fans could feel as though he "made and effort"? What would like him to wear during a routine set to music like this? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even comment on another skater wearing what Patrick wore lol. Oh, and those white T's come in packs of 3 so it's probably not the same one that he wore to Japanese nats last year......or maybe it's his lucky white t-shirt and it is the same one, does it reeeeaaaally matter?😉

Sorry, I have not a clue as to what you're talking about regarding.......what people wear to shopping malls in North America??? That is completely lost on me, as is the concept to "dress up" to go shopping lol. You don't have to be dressed to the nines to look chic or appropriate.

What does Kulik have to do with anything here? Who cares? Good for him, glad he's keeping it up, I quite enjoy his skating as well.

Seriously, I often enjoy reading what you have to say about FS, but your absolute hatred towards Chan and your constant childish bashing just brings your credibility down, for me anyway. Like, why bother wasting so much time in him?

I guess forums would be utterly and completely boring if there weren't members to provoke others though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    I'm sorry you felt unappreciated for your efforts.
    Don't worry, I didn't. Simply pointed out on some Chan fans' bad manners. 
    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even comment on another skater wearing what Patrick wore lol.
    Links, please! Show me another WC who would be skating in house clothes in gala. 
    Sorry, I have not a clue as to what you're talking about regarding.......what people wear to shopping malls in North America??? That is completely lost on me, as is the concept to "dress up" to go shopping lol.
    Agree, lol indeed. Because shopping malls stuff was the reference to another Canadian Chan fan (Bluebonnet). Funny to see how Chan ubers don't read each other. She claimed that fs is not popular in the US because people don't wear semi-formal clothes in shopping malls, as a cultural thing. Now you are saying that the same thing happens in Canada as well. Therefore her chauvinist rant has no ground.
    What does Kulik have to do with anything here?
    He is one of the example of a professional attitude to his job- invest in a costume and keep skating well and appropriate for his age, titles and level. The thing that PC doesn't bother to follow at all.
    Seriously, I often enjoy reading what you have to say about FS, but your absolute hatred towards Chan and your constant childish bashing just brings your credibility down, for me anyway.
    Here you are! What a Chan uber without a personal attack. That is what is childish in fact.
    why bother wasting so much time in him?
    That was the only legitimate sentence in your entire post. I am more than sure that the part of "why" is what Chan fans' will never get. Because if they could, they wouldn't be supportive to his unfair wins apriori. But for all others there are things in the sport world as honesty, sportsmanship and fair play. Justice must be done. When people see and have to deal with unjustice in sport events, it's a normal reaction to protest. Moreover, when they see that the said corruption damages this sport in general, it's a natural for fans not to accept it.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Links, please! Show me another WC who would be skating in house clothes in gala.
    At least three Olympic medalists performed in jeans at the Vancouver gala.
    Photos showing Scott Moir (gold), Charlie White (silver), and Robin Szolkowy (bronze) here:

Scott and Tessa's hockey player and ballerina outfits were cool. I think Scott has on an official team Canada jersey, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Talk
    Agree, lol indeed. Because shopping malls stuff was the reference to another Canadian Chan fan (Bluebonnet). Funny to see how Chan ubers don't read each other. She claimed that fs is not popular in the US because people don't wear semi-formal clothes in shopping malls, as a cultural thing.
    I think Bluebonnet's point was that "culture" in the U.S. has taken a nose dive. Americans (I don't know about Canadians ) don't like classy stuff like ballet and opera. Instead they like loud rap music and monster truck demolition derbies. Since figure skating is more on the ballet side of things (hockey being more of a demolition derby), the popularity of skating is falling.

This "lowest common denominator" attitude is also reflected in the way people dress. They wear any old rag out in public -- pajamas are especially en vogue at the moment -- even to go to church, which was once the last bastion of "dressing up to show respect."

(Old codger rant over. )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    At least three Olympic medalists performed in jeans at the Vancouver gala.
    Photos showing Scott Moir (gold), Charlie White (silver), and Robin Szolkowy (bronze) here:
    In Kulik's link that I posted above he also seems like in jeans. But these jeans are a part of a specially designed costume for this particular EX, with sparkles/tinsel on them and stuff. You probably can't see it well on youtube but it was more than visibile in the FrOI arena where I first saw this EX live. When he actually went out to the nearby 7/11 to buy a can of coffee, he changed into his usual clothes: http://twitpic.com/ap6vir The point is you don't wear on the stage your house/casual outfit. If the guys on your pics wear the same type specially designed jeans for their particular EXs, than it's fine. If it's the stuff that comes "in pack of 3", then it's just plain rude to the paying customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Americans (I don't know about Canadians ) don't like classy stuff like ballet and opera.
    Are you saying they stopped loving it at around SLC and when the CoP with annonymous judging in fs was introduced? That must be one hell of coincidence! Not buying.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think of it as a process occurring gradually between the years 1992 to 2000 at IBM where I worked, when people, as a group, slowly realized that they had no career because they were laying off people right and left, and when the company discovered that salaried employees could be made to do anything without any additional cost to the company.

It started with "dress down Fridays," but in short order, every day was Friday, and people only dressed for very serious functional meetings or when you were trying to sell the capital plan to the head of finance or giving a scientific paper; things like that. We moved our own furniture, typed our own reports, took back tasks that had been done by "sheltered workshops" for peanuts and had them done by engineers for no pay instead.

Consequently, dress clothes at work were extremely unpractical. Skirts do not work well when you have suddenly been made responsible for maintenance as well as research.

You worked late hours; if you were going to stop at the mall, you were not going home to change So there you were at the mall in jeans.

Who had time to go to the ballet or the opera? We were more worried about paying bills and having time to eat and sleep.

I quit when they asked me to sign a contract that guaranteed them a minimum of 70 hours a week of work every week for no increase in pay, all 52 weeks, and that I would be on call 365 1/4 days a year, even if on vacation.

The vacation part is no joke. I was on vacation on a sailboat in a storm on Block Island Sound once, and they called me. I told them if it was important enough for me to go back to work when there was no way we could get the boat back to Connecticut in a reasonable amount of time, they had better send the corporate jet to Block Island to pick me up.

I was able to work that out, that time, but that was before I was supposed to promise in blood that I would have returned.

IBM was one of the more dressy companies when Ski & I went to work there in the 1970's. Salesmen had to have trifold (not bifold) wallets, black socks that stayed up, suits & jackets & striped repp ties. Even repair people were only allowed to take off their jackets when doing messy jobs, and could turn their cuffs on their long sleeved dress shirts up one fold only to do the very messy job of maintaining big in-line printers.

What can I say? The world changed all at once. I left there January 1, 2003.

Nice article- Patrick at Ronald MacDonald House kids in Winnipeg

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/0...ald-house-kids

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Scott and Tessa's hockey player and ballerina outfits were cool. I think Scott has on an official team Canada jersey, right?

I think Bluebonnet's point was that "culture" in the U.S. has taken a nose dive. Americans (I don't know about Canadians ) don't like classy stuff like ballet and opera. Instead they like loud rap music and monster truck demolition derbies. Since figure skating is more on the ballet side of things (hockey being more of a demolition derby), the popularity of skating is falling.

This "lowest common denominator" attitude is also reflected in the way people dress. They wear any old rag out in public -- pajamas are especially en vogue at the moment -- even to go to church, which was once the last bastion of "dressing up to show respect."

(Old codger rant over. )
    Well, part of that is certainly true, and sad. Even in the Thirties, during the Depression, it was thought that "high culture" (classical music and opera) should be brought to everyone. A lot of people don't realize that for many years, the orchestra that Arturo Toscanini conducted was the NBC Radio Symphony Orchestra. Yes, that's right, a radio station with its own orchestra and a world-class conductor.

But another reason for jeans worn by skaters goes back to the era of Gene Kelly. Even then, classical dance was considered sissy by a lot of guys, and the classically trained Kelly often wore ordinary work clothes as his costumes in films to emphasize that skating was for guys in general and for ordinary working stiffs in particular. So this democratization of dance (and by extension classical skating) predates the decline of popular culture by quite a few years.

For myself, I love guys skating in jeans and a T-shirt. It's got a casual grace that makes art part of life to me. The respect for the audience and what everyone paid for a ticket comes (for me at least) in the efforts the skater takes to practice meticulously and give his all at every performance. I assume that the jeans might be special stretch jeans to accommodate the jumps and positions, but there's no reason one couldn't wear an ordinary T-shirt, which after all is made of jersey knit fabric. I know that tastes differ between Europe and the Americas on this topic, but I like the possibility of street clothes (not in the rapper's sense of "street" as crude and edgy but in the meaning of clothes worn in everyday life as opposed to stage outfits). One of the most powerful programs ever, the Duchesnays' "Missing," was made more so by the fact that Isabelle and Paul wore street clothes to reflect ordinary people caught up in a terrible tyranny.

Custom Title
    I'd be happy to watch Patrick skate in a paper bag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast