Thread: Gracie Gold: "I Perform My Best When I Stay Fully In Each Moment"

Hybrid View

Miserere Nobis

News Gracie Gold: "I Perform My Best When I Stay Fully In Each Moment"

World Figure Skating News recently conducted an interview with Gracie Gold about her progress across her senior debut season and her goals for the Olympic season. You can read the full article here:

http://fskating.com/2013/04/gracie-g...ch-moment.html

I couldn't help but notice her comment about how she thinks "everyone will be impressed with my new programs." Does this mean that she's still getting choreography from Scott Brown? I sincerely hope not.

Custom Title
    Gold: My main goal for this season is to qualify for the Olympic Games. My ultimate season’s goal would be to score 200+ and make the podium.
    Err... really? At the Olympics? She seems to be too confident in this interview.

And to achieve that second goal, she'll need two flawless programs and meltdown from at least one of Big Three. I don't think that's likely to happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    Err... really? At the Olympics? She seems to be too confident in this interview.

And to achieve that second goal, she'll need two flawless programs and meltdown from at least one of Big Three. I don't think that's likely to happen.
    Would you rather we have skaters like Mirai who even when she talked big never had the confidence to back it up? Or Alissa and her deer in the headlights look? I think Gracie knows what she has to work on. As for making the podium who knows? Gracie just beat Mao at WTT. If Mao can't land her jumps she won't get on the podium in Sochi.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Would you rather we have skaters like Mirai who even when she talked big never had the confidence to back it up? Or Alissa and her deer in the headlights look? I think Gracie knows what she has to work on. As for making the podium who knows? Gracie just beat Mao at WTT. If Mao can't land her jumps she won't get on the podium in Sochi.
    At WTT, Gracie's PCS in the FS were less than 4 points behind Mao's. Of course, it's probably not a good comparison because Mao looked injured and could barely lift her feet, but if she stays around the same level while Gracie has significant improvement...anything could happen.

Custom Title

Well, that's why she called it her "ultimate goal". Every skater dreams of medaling at the Olympics. That's Gracie's "pie in the sky" goal. While it's not the easiest goal or the most likely goal, I see no reason why she can't list it as her ultimate goal.

I hope her programs next year will be impressive! Luckily, she has the foundation to succeed once she gets the right programs.

Custom Title

I think with two flawless programs she can definitely beat Kostner or Mao with flaws (and neither has skated cleanly internationally this past season). But Gracie has yet to do two clean programs internationally too. As for 200+ points, I think that is doable for her given the inflation at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    I really hope Gracie's coach doesn't saddle her with Scott Brown yet again as her choreographer. He has a potential future World Champion if he gets her the right people to help her improve and polish her skating and he's doing her no favors not getting her to a top choreographer. Just look at the top skaters they are getting their programs from people like Mills, Nichols and Wilson. Her coach needs to look outside their coaching team.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Since he's been canned by Ashley, I expect Philip Mills would be thrilled to work with Gracie

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Since he's been canned by Ashley, I expect Philip Mills would be thrilled to work with Gracie
    That would be splendid! Gracie is nearly 18--at this point, she should be making the final calls on what she wants.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Ashley fired Philip Mills? Who is she using for next year's programs?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think with two flawless programs she can definitely beat Kostner or Mao with flaws (and neither has skated cleanly internationally this past season). But Gracie has yet to do two clean programs internationally too. As for 200+ points, I think that is doable for her given the inflation at the Olympics.
    If she does up her technical content like she plans to, she could be in contention for the top 4 at the Olympics. It's Gracie's SP that has killed her this past season--she had one entirely clean skate, and that was at CoR in the fall. Not even at Worlds or WTT was she able to keep the nerves at bay, and it's costing her valuable points.

As for beating Carolina and Mao, we'll just have to see what form they're in next season. It's true that Carolina doesn't attempt the hardest combinations (but maybe she will for the Olympics), and Mao's triple axel is finicky, but they could easily medal by virtue of their huge PCS even if their jumps are flawed (but not enormously so).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    If she does up her technical content like she plans to, she could be in contention for the top 4 at the Olympics. It's Gracie's SP that has killed her this past season--she had one entirely clean skate, and that was at CoR in the fall. Not even at Worlds or WTT was she able to keep the nerves at bay, and it's costing her valuable points.

As for beating Carolina and Mao, we'll just have to see what form they're in next season. It's true that Carolina doesn't attempt the hardest combinations (but maybe she will for the Olympics), and Mao's triple axel is finicky, but they could easily medal by virtue of their huge PCS even if their jumps are flawed (but not enormously so).
    Yeah, her SP has been a weakness which is weird because as a junior she had some good SPs.

And indeed we can't say who will or won't be in top form this season when singles skaters have been up and down and all around this season. I'm really hoping that Carolina continues to up her technical game (hopefully Yu Na convinced her to with her Worlds performances). And Mao's axel has been finnicky, but she seemed to be able to get it together in 2010 even when it was finnicky prior to that. I really hope that the judges will reward clean programs over better programs filled with mistakes.

Mmmm. I see Gracie being in fourth at the Olympics with a score of 190+ with a relatively "clean" free skate, kinda like Mirai at the 2010 Olympics.