Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    Alissa's music picks are all SLOW pieces. She can't do fast music because then it would only emphasize how slow her skating is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    She did try Mask of Zorro (music by James Horner) as her SP in 2009-2010. It wasn't especially successful, IMO. It was Latin-themed but even her best performance of it at Skate Canada 2009 lacked the necessary fire/sultriness that the music expects. She also had West Side Story in 2007-2008.
    I just watched her Zorro at SC and stand corrected. You are absolutely right; she does not have the necessary fire for that type of program. In some ways Alissa's skating reminds me a bit of Kwan's, the smoothness of the stroking, the great body line, etc. and so I figured Alissa would be able to perform the same variety of programs as Michelle.

Custom Title
    I agree about Alissa's musical range . . . it's narrow. She used Dr. Zhivago for her long program for 2 years, and to me, she didn't at all capture the epic, sweeping quality of that music. So I can't imagine her doing something even more dramatic or fast-paced. Jazz might be a possibility, but I'm not sure she really has the musicality to carry that off. To my mind, only the best artistic single skaters are really successful with jazz, people like Abbott, Takahashi, Browning, and Sato.

Really, I don't find Alissa's program great at all, it looks like she doesn't really capture the essence of the theme of the music and the film, the drama, the passion, their "epic" dimension (if you put a waltz there, the program would still work as well as it does at the moment ), but maybe it's because that was only practice... Now, don't misunderstand me: I still think that Alissa's skating is great, she's not the fastest out there, but her grace, elegance and edges are among the best in the world, I just think that this program doesn't work really well for her...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Anyway I saw several jumping passes in that run through...didn't keep precise count but seems like that's a 6 or 7-triple program in the works??
    6 triples as always, she just changed a bit the position of the 3Lz and 3Lo, I think it's because she doesn't want to begin her program with the lutz that has given her so much trouble in the past years...

This made me happy to see Her spins look incredible as always.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I agree about Alissa's musical range . . . it's narrow. She used Dr. Zhivago for her long program for 2 years, and to me, she didn't at all capture the epic, sweeping quality of that music. So I can't imagine her doing something even more dramatic or fast-paced. Jazz might be a possibility, but I'm not sure she really has the musicality to carry that off. To my mind, only the best artistic single skaters are really successful with jazz, people like Abbott, Takahashi, Browning, and Sato.
    I agree except for Sato.

Custom Title
    One of the things about Sato is that she had such quick feet. She did the best footwork among ladies of her era and showed that off even more impressively during her pro career. I remember a commentator once compared her and Surya Bonaly by pointing out that Surya's skating was mostly in one direction, with a lot of two-footed work (and we won't talk about edging), whereas Sato's feet went this way and that way, every possible direction, shifting her weight effortlessly. I've watched quite a few programs where the camera just focused on her feet while she skated.

Sato was such a sunny personality that this was reflected in just about all of her programs. So I suppose this meant that her interpretive range was a bit narrow, but within it, she was beyond compare. I've noticed through the years that she's on many people's lists of top skaters (including mine), even though she has just one World championship and no other World or Olympic medals. There is just something extraordinary in the quality of her skating, and of course her pro career added to her impact.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    ^^Agreed. She reminds me of Akiko in that I love her on ice personality and that even though she's not always at the top of the podium, her performances usually are. I loved Yuka's footwork...definitely some of the best of her era.

As for Alissa, it's good to see her skating again. Her programs are very one note but like others have pointed out, she doesn't have the presence to pull off more forceful/fiery/energetic/powerful music...so that pretty much boxes her into the soft and pretty category.

My all-time favorite program from Alissa is and will always be La Vie en Rose. It helps that I adore the song but it really is a beautiful program. I love Alissa's smoothness and elegance and she pulls that kind of music off effortlessly. Is she sticking with La Vie for her SP next season? I remember that was supposed to be the plan for this past season.

I'm not sure where she is right now (lots of stroking around, no jumps, spins not all there) but I do hope she gets herself together for the season. She has an uphill battle for sure, but if she can put it together at nationals, I'd be happy for her to get that 3rd spot to the Olympics...as long as she does enough to earn it.

Miserere Nobis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRDO...ature=youtu.be

A local news feature on Gracie Gold. It doesn't tell us much that we didn't already know, but it's great to see that Gracie is already hard at work training for the Olympic trials.

Miserere Nobis
    Unless Alissa returns to her 2011 form by 2014 Nationals, it'll be nigh on impossible for her to beat a healthy Ashley, who's slowly been inching up on PCS and may finally get a solid 3-3 (which she will most definitely need if she wants to contend for an Olympic medal).

But can a mostly clean, semi-healthy Alissa beat Gracie at full strength?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    But can a mostly clean, semi-healthy Alissa beat Gracie at full strength?
    IMO she cannot. Gracie gets so many points on the jumps; not only on difficulty but also GOE. For me, Gracie gets PCS marks that are a bit generous but the fact is she does get solid artistic scores. So Gracie isn't giving away many points anywhere, whereas Alissa will likely land 2-3 fewer jumps and what she does land won't get the same GOE.

Gracie gets good PCS based on the fact that she's fast, has very nice ice coverage, is a good multidirectional skater, and because of these things seems to project well (ie skates "big" compared to some of the other first year seniors like Li and Tuktamysheva). Yes, these are all areas she needs to improve to become a medal contender on the World stage, but she has a really good foundation both in the air and on the ice to be the American lady in the very near future.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    IMO she cannot. Gracie gets so many points on the jumps; not only on difficulty but also GOE. For me, Gracie gets PCS marks that are a bit generous but the fact is she does get solid artistic scores. So Gracie isn't giving away many points anywhere, whereas Alissa will likely land 2-3 fewer jumps and what she does land won't get the same GOE.
    I think Gracie will beat a clean Alissa in TES but if Alissa has a strong performance the judges will boost her PCS to keep her close. Can she beat Gracie? I think she can by a narrow margin but Gracie would have to make mistakes (which she often does so that's not a far-fetched situation)...the flip side of that is Alissa would have to be very close to her 2011 form. I don't see 2012 Alissa beating Gracie even if Gracie makes mistakes.

I do think a solid performance from Alissa will be held up over nearly everyone else (excluding Ashley and Gracie). The judges love her and would like to see her go to Sochi if only to have the experience before she retires. I keep saying I don't want to see Alissa held up over anyone and I do mean that...to an extent. If nationals ends up being somewhat of a splatfest and Alissa is able to hold up decently, I would be okay with her receiving that 3rd spot.

In a way she's earned it. Think about it: prior to Ashley's hot streak last year, Alissa was the only US lady to win gold at any GP event since Kimmie in 2007 and the only US lady to medal at the GPF since Sasha won silver back in 2003, and it was a gold medal to boot. As odd as it is to say, Alissa carried the US ladies on the international scene by herself for quite a while. Ashley, Rachael and Mirai chipped in with silver and bronze medals over the years but none of them won gold (prior to Ashley's gold streak last year).

After watching Alissa's Skating Lesson interview, I can admit I now have a soft spot for her. I would like to see her make it to the Olympics...but she can't do what she did at nationals in 2010 and completely tank and expect the judges to bail her out 100%. She has to deliver on some level. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Down With It
    Alissa carried the US ladies on the international scene by herself for quite a while.
    If by "quite a while" you mean 2 months, then perhaps...

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast