Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Cesario really deserved that.

Hope she has changed her LP since Liberty, though. It was hideous.

It looks like she is. Per her IceNetwork bio:

SP Music: "Fever" by various artists
    FS Music: "Carmen Suite" by Georges Bizet and Konstantinovich Shchedrin

Costumes designed by Samantha Cesario and Stephanie Handler.

Custom Title
    Here's a look at Christina Gao's LP from Cranberry Open. Thanks to Doris for finding the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKerxjNJkiQ

She scored about 96

Not the hottest start for her but I'm guessing she'll be upping the technical ante later. Her 3t/3t looks great right now though. She also did her short program and scored 60.52.

Banned
    Not surprised
    Czisny looked like she was a bad state jump wise

Carmen again for Samantha? It was her SP last season... And, they're going to create a 100% new FS when we're already in the middle of the summer (I believe this decision was taken in July, after Liberty), just one month away from her first international competition? A lot of skaters change their SP during the year, but almost never have a completely new FS...

Custom Title
    Samantha had the Carmen SP for 3 seasons actually, not just last season. But maybe it's different music from the parts she used in the SP.

Custom Title
    http://www.mountain-news.com/busines...a4bcf887a.html

Another problem for Ashley to deal with--Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead is closing. So I guess she & the Arutunian group will need to relocate. This possibility was mentioned previously in her TSL interview & I guess is now confirmed.

Miserere Nobis
    Reports from Champs Camp said that Ashley landed a 3-3 in her free skate, but there's been no confirmation on if it was ratified or not.

Either way, it's already a big improvement on Worlds, when she shied away from it in both segments of the competition, possibly costing herself a medal. I hope that she and Arutunian ("Raf," as she calls him) are able to get her landing them cleanly and consistently in competition this season. Go, Ashley!

Down With It
    That's nothing though. When she lands it in a REAL competition, then we can talk...but until then...

What it does tell us, though, is that she is actually serious about trying to make it work. But I'll still believe it when I see it (not hear about it).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Reports from Champs Camp said that Ashley landed a 3-3 in her free skate, but there's been no confirmation on if it was ratified or not.

Either way, it's already a big improvement on Worlds, when she shied away from it in both segments of the competition, possibly costing herself a medal. I hope that she and Arutunian ("Raf," as she calls him) are able to get her landing them cleanly and consistently in competition this season. Go, Ashley!
    I thought she was going to do a 3F-3T in the short and 2A-3T in the long, because she said she got used to doing a 3F-2T-2T at the beggining of her free skate and she feels comfortable with it. Did she change her mind?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    I thought she was going to do a 3F-3T in the short and 2A-3T in the long, because she said she got used to doing a 3F-2T-2T at the beggining of her free skate and she feels comfortable with it. Did she change her mind?
    Yes, that's strage because she never planned a 3-3 in her FS recently... But maybe she just wanted to prove that she can land it and she wasn't using her competition layout...

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=samson;758150]Here's a look at Christina Gao's LP from Cranberry Open. Thanks to Doris for finding the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKerxjNJkiQ

She scored about 96

It is early in the season but this music is not GAO. It is very heavy, dramatic and dark and Gao is more lyrical. Not sure if the dress is just for practice or if this is the actual costume but it is all wrong for the music - it is light, airy and flowy and the music driving, powerful, dark if not sombre of villainous sounding not virgen maidne in the spring garden.

Custom Title
    On TSL today, Jenny & Dave were pretty harsh on Christina's new long program. I don't agree--I like it. But it does seem like there have been strong reactions to it. It'll be interesting to see if she keeps it after Champs Camp, and if it gets better before Skate Canada.

I'm beginning to feel worried that the foot injury Christina had at the end of last season was more serious than they let on--I think someone said she was wearing a cast or support or something at Champs Camp.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    On TSL today, Jenny & Dave were pretty harsh on Christina's new long program. I don't agree--I like it. But it does seem like there have been strong reactions to it. It'll be interesting to see if she keeps it after Champs Camp, and if it gets better before Skate Canada.

I'm beginning to feel worried that the foot injury Christina had at the end of last season was more serious than they let on--I think someone said she was wearing a cast or support or something at Champs Camp.
    (Just an OT note as I just listened to that particular TSL just now - they seemed to be pretty harsh on everybody this week, actually, I'd say. And even any compliment tended to be pretty lefthanded... It was All Out Snark this week, I think.... )

Down With It
    It is still early, so I'm hesitant to make early judgment. However, the fact is - what I saw in that video bored me. It bored me because she is not taking command. I don't feel any presence from her. She blends in. I may as well be listening to an audio clip of the song. Of course, the other part is that she played it incredibly safe jump-wise, but again, it was probably just a test skate.

Let's see what a few months can do. As for TSL, forget them. When someone I want to hear from is on, then I'll check it out.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    (Just an OT note as I just listened to that particular TSL just now - they seemed to be pretty harsh on everybody this week, actually, I'd say. And even any compliment tended to be pretty lefthanded... It was All Out Snark this week, I think.... )
    That's just TSL's way of showing affection.

However, I personally saw a lot of sense behind their criticism of Christina's program. The jumps notwithstanding, she lacked the command that a top 3 US lady needs. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Christina is NOT a dramatic skater. The intense music of "Angels and Demons" just doesn't cut it for her. Her tango last season left me with the same impression -- that she was struggling to fit herself into a box that she didn't belong in. She isn't particularly fast across the ice, so she needs a lyrical piece that will accentuate the lovely lines and extensions that she's capable of producing. But, then again, maybe I'll change my mind after seeing her at SC.

Right now, Agnes seems far more prepared to challenge for the third Olympic spot. Even if her programs aren't the best, her strong technical elements give her a presence on the ice that's impossible to ignore.

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast