Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Quote Originally Posted by nam57 View Post
    I am still hoping for Gao, but her last outing was sad. Angela Wang almost got herself in the mix after SP for me. Watching Finlandia...maybe Mirai!! But Vanessa Lam would not be able to handle the big stage, she has had her chance.
    Mirai would probably have it if she could fix the URs. I am losing hope about that though :/ Does anyone know how hard this would be to fix/if it can be fixed? I used to think she could/would fix it but this is season 3 with no sign of improvement- in fact I think it's getting worse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Mirai would probably have it if she could fix the URs. I am losing hope about that though :/ Does anyone know how hard this would be to fix/if it can be fixed? I used to think she could/would fix it but this is season 3 with no sign of improvement- in fact I think it's getting worse.
    It's frustrating because we know she is able to rotate them, and it's not a conditioning issue because she will UR jumps at the beginning of the program sometimes but rotate them at the end. She now has a reputation of URing such that the callers don't give her the credit in marginal cases, when other skaters might get credit. Hopefully at Nationals she can tell herself to go for it and be willing to fall on the jumps as long as she attacks.

Custom Title
    Here's what Mirai did at Finlandia:

SP: 3f<+3t<<, 3lo<, 2a
    FS: 3f+2t+2t, 2a+3t<, 3z<, 3lo+2t<, 3f<<, 3lo, 2a

She scored 110.50 in the FS, but international Bs tend to score much higher than GPs, JGPs and ISU Championships for the same technical content.

Custom Title
    Yes, it does seem to be getting worse. At Finlandia this week-end she got 3 and a downgrade in her FP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It's frustrating because we know she is able to rotate them, and it's not a conditioning issue because she will UR jumps at the beginning of the program sometimes but rotate them at the end. She now has a reputation of URing such that the callers don't give her the credit in marginal cases, when other skaters might get credit. Hopefully at Nationals she can tell herself to go for it and be willing to fall on the jumps as long as she attacks.
    I don't know if Mirai can consistently fully rotate her triples though. They have ALWAYS been questionable due to the hooked landing technique she has, and had the panels been stricter then, she'd probably have gotten a fair number of URs even as a junior when she was like 70 lbs. Mirai cleaned up her jumps in time for the Olympics in 2010 but had been struggling with them earlier that season and the season before right after she had her big growth spurt. Since 2010, Mirai has filled out a lot. Right now, she looks to be in great shape physically, but even so, she is much sturdier build wise than she was in 2010. In 2010, if she was just barely getting the jumps around, which was the case and even then she wasn't always getting full credit for the triples, she just happened to at the Olympics where she really made a statement, and she was skating with more speed then and had a very thin body frame due to having just gone through puberty, why do you think she can suddenly get full credit for all her jumps now?

The root of her issue is her jump technique and I don't think losing weight would even help because she'd have to lose it in the form of muscle which would detract from her power and further, her bones, frame, and weight distribution are no longer the same as they were in 2010, so even if she got to that weight, the jump dynamics would be different and it would be unlikely to resolve the issue. Her reputation for URs is not helping her scores but really, I think if Mirai wanted to have a shot to hang with the big guns she needed to make a big change to her technique years ago...

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

News

Zawadzki coaching change: she has returned to Zakrajsek, per USFS announcement:

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Zawadzki coaching change: she has returned to Zakrajsek, per USFS announcement:

Just one isn't enough.

Custom Title
    I know people don't like Tom Z because he made Jason skate with a broken leg at Nationals and then he made Rachael skate with a broken tibia at Worlds. However, it seems like it only bothers us, not skaters.

Jason, of course, moved away from Tom, but Rachael stayed with him, and Agnes took a break and decided she liked Tom Z after all. I remember Tom even won Coach of the Year right after Jason sobbed in pain on TV. So who knows, maybe he is not so bad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    I know people don't like Tom Z because he made Jason skate with a broken leg at Nationals and then he made Rachael skate with a broken tibia at Worlds. However, it seems like it only bothers us, not skaters.

Jason, of course, moved away from Tom, but Rachael stayed with him, and Agnes took a break and decided she liked Tom Z after all. I remember Tom even won Coach of the Year right after Jason sobbed in pain on TV. So who knows, maybe he is not so bad.
    Jason (Brown)? I think you mean Joshua Farris. As for Agnes, I'm not seeing how this move back to Tom is the magic potion she needs, but it's true that at least she won't have to move.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Jason (Brown)? I think you mean Joshua Farris. As for Agnes, I'm not seeing how this move back to Tom is the magic potion she needs, but it's true that at least she won't have to move.
    Oh yes, I guess I meant Joshua Farris. I only watch men's skating at Nationals and Worlds so they are not that familiar to me.

I still think despite Tom Z's shady practice of encouraging his young skaters to compete injured, he's at least a competent coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Oh yes, I guess I meant Joshua Farris. I only watch men's skating at Nationals and Worlds so they are not that familiar to me.

I still think despite Tom Z's shady practice of encouraging his young skaters to compete injured, he's at least a competent coach.
    Maybe he is a decent coach but his skaters seems to always be slow with the exception of Max and lack good skating skills and bad choreography.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Maybe he is a decent coach but his skaters seems to always be slow with the exception of Max and lack good skating skills and bad choreography.
    90% of skaters lack good skating skills and good choreography.
    most of them are also slow.

Who's fast, have good skills, good choreography in Yuka and Jason's group? In Frank's group? In the Boston group? In Mishin group?
    None.

Let's not make it a coach's problem. A coach can only take you so far. What did Frank do for Kostner? She was the fastest with the best skating skills.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Good luck to Agnes. It's not a shocking change seeing as how she won't have to move and is already familiar with the way Tom Z runs his ship. No clue if it will make a difference or not but...whatever.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    On the subject of Zakrajsek's coaching style:

‏@BrandonMroz
    Had an awesome long program run through today! Tom Z yelled at me all the way thru it. Must be doing something right
    1:51 PM - 10 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/BrandonMroz/stat...06574806347776

(It is Mroz's first tweet since July.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    90% of skaters lack good skating skills and good choreography.
    most of them are also slow.

Who's fast, have good skills, good choreography in Yuka and Jason's group? In Frank's group? In the Boston group? In Mishin group?
    None.

Let's not make it a coach's problem. A coach can only take you so far. What did Frank do for Kostner? She was the fastest with the best skating skills.
    Ummmm I'm pretty sure Alissa and Jeremy have stunning choreography?

Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast