Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1105

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Ummmm I'm pretty sure Alissa and Jeremy have stunning choreography?
    Alissa's programs are as empty as the arena she performed in. Stunning?
    Jeremy's programs haven't been good since forever. When was the last decent choreography?

Anyway, if anyone has a coach, that coach probably sucks more than TomZ could have ever sucked. So suck it.

To me, both Jeremy (please omit the quad) and Alissa more with such grace and elegance that it gives the illusion of great choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Oh yes, I guess I meant Joshua Farris. I only watch men's skating at Nationals and Worlds so they are not that familiar to me.

I still think despite Tom Z's shady practice of encouraging his young skaters to compete injured, he's at least a competent coach.
    I don't think a competent coach disregards his skater's short and long term health, period. There is more to being a coach than just having skaters who can achieve ok to good results when healthy. This is especially true when your students are children (and Josh was a child) and are relying on you and their parents to look out for their best interest. In addition, I think it has been confirmed that Josh did not even want to skate that day and Tom Z essentially made him (call it encouraged strongly if you must). I think that's messed up and you can't ignore things like this when considering if a coach is 'competent'.

It's also not like it was the Olympic games or the Nationals to get to the Olympics. It's not like Josh was old or really needed to prove something at that Nationals in particular since he'd never have another chance. It was pretty much a nothing competition in the scheme of things. I think that makes it worse.

Custom Title
    wow this is insightful. Okay you know I can see that - Abbott has those "dramatic stares" but maybe there is some point watch the feet and patterns on the ice and yeah there isn[t as much as I thought.

New blog from Gracie Gold: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...ngs-From-SoCal

Highlights:

Salt Lake City wasn't the most successful competition for me. My life was feeling frantic and out of control. I think my performances were affected by that turmoil.

Luckily, I was able to start training with Frank Carroll towards the end of September. He's wonderful to work with. When anyone speaks of him, they invariably say, "He's not just a great coach, he's a great person." I understand why they say that. I really enjoy our lessons. He's intelligent and insightful. He's also very humorous in his examples and delivery.

The Toyota Sports Center is beautiful! Everyone there has been welcoming and friendly towards us. There are three ice surfaces: an Olympic surface, an NHL rink, and a smaller surface, called "The Pond".

I was able to skate with Evan Lysacek for a few days before his injury required him to take time off. He has an energy and drive that is contagious. I hope he's back soon. Dennis Ten is there most days and I usually see Mirai Nagasu and Courtney Hicks once or twice a week. It's inspiring to skate with such great skaters.
    I thought I should talk briefly about my programs. They have generated a lot of feedback, positive and negative. Of particular concern seems to be my pink, princessy free skate dress. Apparently it's too juvenile for someone of my advanced years, lol! I admit to being a little torn over the interpretation of the music — pretty princess vs. Carabosse (powerful witch). I have since changed my thinking. I picture this Sleeping Beauty as beautiful and lovely, yes. But, instead of a weak and timid nature, this beauty has the heart of a lion! She's angry about the spell, she doesn't want to take a nap! She wants to dance! She wants to live! Like all of us, she's a mixed bag. She can be light and lovely or dark and moody. I will be debuting another dress at Skate Canada. This dress gives a nod to the beautiful princess dress, but with a touch of darkness and magic. My plan is to take both dresses to competitions and decide at each competition, which one I'm "feeling” and wear the correlating dress.

Custom Title
    The language she uses to describe her program is so much more colorful than then interpretation itself. I'm not sure if sassy Sleeping Beauty will work with the same music she has chosen.

My advice to Gracie: Forget all that. Land the jumps.

PS. I like the second dress better.

Custom Title
    That is the best advice anyone could give Gracie. Forget about over thinking your programs and just land the jumps. This year isn't going to be the one where she makes huge improvements. She got a new coach way too late into the season so she needs to just focus on landing her jumps. If she lands her jumps she will make the podium at just about every event except the Olympics just judging by her scores last season. Good to see that she admits things were spiraling out of control back in September it really showed in the way she skated. She needs to just take a deep breath and realize the prize at the end of the tunnel this season is making the Olympic team not becoming a great artist on the ice.

Eek, Gracie's blog worries me. I really want her to pull it together and do her best, but her comments indicate that she cares WAY too much about what people say about her, and about things that aren't strictly important. Okay I guess costuming is important but it should hardly be a priority. The overexplanation of her choices strikes me as defensive and nervous. I wonder if she reads skating blogs/messageboards (I would guess yes based on her comments about all the feedback), which has to be a distraction.

Custom Title
    Gracie is going with what SHE wants, which is the right thing to do.

Down With It
    you can't read someone just from a blog post.

She'll be fine. As long as she has her priorities straight, fine by me. I could care less about the costume, but whatever - it seems to be such a big deal to the fans and the skate community at large.

MM nailed it - LAND THE JUMPS. That's it.

Custom Title
    Well Gracie sounds so happy. I want to see the Cottage they are living in. I hope everything works out well.
    I wonder if Mirai is skating part- time with frank.

Custom Title
    Hopefully now that she's settled she can relax a bit and skate like she knows she can. She should not be screwing up those jumps she's too good of a jumper. David Lease of TSL made a good point. Really wanting something bad and having grit can overcome the nerves. Gracie certainly wants it that's not the problem. Now it's just becoming a tougher competitor.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    This is going to be a tough year for Gracie but as long as she had her head on straight she should be okay. A lot of skaters fall prey to the sophomore slump so we'll have to see if she can avoid it. She's got even more pressure to deal with this year. Judging by what we've seen so far it's not good but we'll have to see how she looks at SC.

But I do agree that as long as she lands the jumps she'll be fine. That's been her biggest problem lately. If you lack artistry/interpretation/musical connection/etc. but can still bust out huge jumps, the judges will still reward you. However, without all of the artistry stuff and without the jumps, Gracie only has her SS to fall back on and it won't be enough this year especially with a number of hungry skaters coming up behind her...she has to land those jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I wonder if Mirai is skating part- time with frank.
    No, her current coaching team is there.

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast