Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    I went back to my notes when I saw Gracie live

"good flip-toe combo, looks like lip"
    "good lutz, not as high/far as expected"
    "best 2A of the girls"
    "good speed throughout"
    "a bit sloppy, someone to watch out for in the future"

My impressions of her haven't changed. I think she's a good jumper. Not particularly impressive about any jumps, but they are all good. Basically, an American Miki Ando.

You know what, she's like Miki, very unpolished.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    OMG, that is the point. She was clean, and she got 60.82. That means she had trouble breaking 60 in the SP. Do you have to be super precise to make a point?

Gracie URed the 3T, edge violated her flip on her first WC and still scored less than 2 points from Caro.

How can you make such a statement that Caro was even more generously scored when she barely broke 60 in her THIRD season as a senior?
    FWIW, Gracie's non-jump elements were 3.79 points higher than Caro's due to the fact that Caro got low levels on them (looking strictly at spins and steps since spiral is no longer in the SP). That would negate the 2.5 points in BV + some -GOE that she lost due to the UR 3T + the edge call.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    You mean from when she started skating until she became a factor, as you say? Or do you mean in her transition to seniors?

I mean, to go from not making Nationals at the junior levelto the top six in the world within two years is pretty notable. I think it speaks to her ability, as mskater93 noted a few posts back, her ability to learn from her struggles and mistakes.
    No, from when she started skating to where she is now. Her transition into seniors was actually very quick. She placed 4th at the novice level one year, missed a trip nationals the next, won junior nationals a year later and is now the national silver medalist. What I meant by that is, comparing her to someone like Julia who has medaled at junior worlds twice and is a senior level skater at 14 years old, it took Gracie longer to emerge on the scene. Once she did she rocketed through the ranks...

It just took her longer age wise than it does most of the "phenoms" we see now. It's not a bad thing...just different.

Agree... And Miki is one of my favourite skaters!

Custom Title
    I do not think that she has no talent in artistry.. she is still a new senior.. I believe if she get more consistency and becomes stable, she would get her style in presentation.
    it's another problem with artistry... but when i see her skate, I feel that she has something that attracts attentions.

That is to say, like two-time World Champion Miki Ando.

Down With It
    To paraphrase another poster (and also to reiterate): the key is PATIENCE.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is to say, like two-time World Champion Miki Ando.
    Miki is proof that landing your jumps and having a strong federation can put you at the top of the podium. I ain't even mad at her...

Custom Title
    And I've said that she has the most potential of the US girls since Kwan. She has good and great jumps. She has good speed, she's unpolished and sloppy (and those can be fixed)
    I said she could have gone the Joannie Rochette route, but now that I thought about Miki, I see her doing the Miki route.

Miki was a jumping phenom when she started.
    Gracie is not the kind of jumper Miki was, but I think she's 90% as good. Both had/has lip problem, so hopefully Gracie can fix her lip without making it unstable. I see her as multiple W medalist, and potential W champion if given the right programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Miki is proof that landing your jumps and having a strong federation can put you at the top of the podium. I ain't even mad at her...
    Me either. But even Miki managed to develop some decent artistry by the end of her career. I actually thought her Grieg FS and especially the Mission SP she had during the '10-11 season were quite lovely and she showed she could be artistic. Gracie is a bit unrefined for now but that's part of what makes her exciting. For me, another similarity she has to Miki is vulnerability, at times both Miki and Gracie have seemed very vulnerable despite the display of power they put out on the ice, to me it's sort of appealing, makes them come off as more warm, like-able, and human compared to some other skaters who almost seem cold and/or robotic at times (Yuna and Julia for me).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Gracie is a bit unrefined for now but that's part of what makes her exciting.
    I agree with this.. but i don't have same feeling for Miki Ando. rather she seemed cold and like a jumping machine to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I would expect Hannah to skate to something more "mature" even if this would be a good fit for her. Something about Disney scores turns off a lot fo skaters trying to be "serious"
    As oppose to skating "life is beautiful" without knowing what the hell is the piece about?

Skating to appropriate pieces for your age is always appropriate.

Frankly, pretending to be a writhing you_know_what (hello, Sex and the City TWO because ONE wasn't ho enough) doesn't make the program any more "mature" than it is.

Custom Title
    OMG, that is the point. She was clean, and she got 60.82. That means she had trouble breaking 60 in the SP. Do you have to be super precise to make a point?

Gracie URed the 3T, edge violated her flip on her first WC and still scored less than 2 points from Caro.
    Err... I think precision helps when you dismiss people's statements who disagree with you as "ridiculous". She didn't struggle at all to top 60 when she was clean; no trouble at all <> "so much trouble".

Caro fell and still finished 8 points ahead of Gracie in the SP, and 5+ points ahead of her in the LP. I realize you don't like Gracie but as a fan it's frustrating to see her being attacked with completely wrong information. Gracie does not get anywhere near the marks that Carolina does at this point, nor should she. But she isn't grossly overscored either; her PCS may be a bit generous but it seems to be only when she delivers on her very difficult technical content.

Custom Title
    Frankly, pretending to be a writhing you_know_what (hello, Sex and the City TWO because ONE wasn't ho enough) doesn't make the program any more "mature" than it is.
    Is this necessary to make your point? We are talking about young women here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Unless Alissa returns to her 2011 form by 2014 Nationals, it'll be nigh on impossible for her to beat a healthy Ashley, who's slowly been inching up on PCS and may finally get a solid 3-3 (which she will most definitely need if she wants to contend for an Olympic medal).

But can a mostly clean, semi-healthy Alissa beat Gracie at full strength?
    Absolutely not. Gold is way too strongly technically and the USFSA loves her and she will get very kind PCS. She would have to mess up both programs to finish below anyone not named Ashley. Alissa is definitely in a battle for that 3rd spot and that is the most she can realistically hope for her at this point, and she is going to have to do almost everything right and skate lights out at Nationals to make that happen (and still maybe need some help, especialy from the USFSA pet despite achieving nothing in the sport Zawadzki).

Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast