Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I don't necessarily think there's a stigma associated with skating to a Disney soundtrack. True, most senior level skaters don't use it but I think the right person could pull it off without it looking juniorish.

I'd really love to see someone skate to this song from the Tangled soundtrack.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYfySVrQxto

It's Disney but I don't immediately think of a younger skater. It's upbeat, energetic and fun which doesn't equal juniorish IMO. With the right choreography it could be a really nice program for someone. (PS. I've already thought out a SP to it in my head ).

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Do you think it is right or it is wrong? I know there's this silly stigma on Disney music, but they don't realize Disney commissioned a lot of big time composers to do it. I'd argue it's a lot more prestigious and mature than Sex and the City TWO.

I am not saying it's right or wrong, I am only saying you won't see it used because of the stigma attached to it (and I'd bet that judges would "help" the skater out by suggesting the program be ditched), no matter how well it's composed and how much it would lend itself to skating. It's about perception - the skater is "perceived" to be more mature (in their mind, their team's mind and in some judges' minds) by using Carmen, Bolero, Life is Beautiful, etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    There's this big stigma attached to animated movie soundtracks (whether right or wrong), especially for Ladies (probably because more of them are younger than the men). It's like everyone thinks that you can't be perceived as a good (maybe it's more "mature" than good) artist if you are skating to a Disney soundtrack.
    I wonder if this is passed down from classical music, where 20th century composers were looked down upon by their peers for writing film soundtracks. Korngold wrote some beautiful music for film and a popular violin concerto, although his works were not "modern" classical and were not perceived well by critics.

Tripping on the Podium
    I always thought the Korngold Violin concerto would work great as a skating program...love that piece...also the Waxman Carmen Fantasie would be an interesting choice for a Carmen program...Alissa?

^ I believe Alissa did use the Korngold violin concerto in her 2011 short program. Michelle Kwan skated to the Carmen Fantasy in her 1999 short program. Great music!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post
    Any updates on Mirai?
    Yeah, what's up with her?

I almost hate to bring it up.... but is everyone ruling her out and done for?

We're talking about Alissa again ... a Mirai comeback somehow doesn't seem that much more farfetched.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Yeah, what's up with her?

No, theoretically she is still in the mix, but her chances are getting slimmer. Personally, I think she is in the midst of being surpassed and she needs a drastic turnaround if she hopes to contend.

Still- that said, most didn't suspect she'd make Vancouver especially given her fall 2009 season. She chose the right time to peak.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    No, theoretically she is still in the mix, but her chances are getting slimmer. Personally, I think she is in the midst of being surpassed and she needs a drastic turnaround if she hopes to contend.

Still- that said, most didn't suspect she'd make Vancouver especially given her fall 2009 season. She chose the right time to peak.
    Yes, she's a long shot at this point. But has anyone heard anything about how she's doing? I just notice that Alissa is giving interviews and getting her name in people's minds again but I haven't heard a thing from Mirai.

Custom Title
    Yes, she's a long shot at this point. But has anyone heard anything about how she's doing? I just notice that Alissa is giving interviews and getting her name in people's minds again but I haven't heard a thing from Mirai.
    Well, I think she knows she is having her work cut out for her and hopefully training,training,training??

http://instagram.com/p/Ylbd2fi5Yb/#

Custom Title

We're talking about Alissa again ... a Mirai comeback somehow doesn't seem that much more farfetched.
    I think the difference is we haven't seen Alissa for a year, so she may come back better (or worse) than before. That uncertainty gives some people hope. With Mirai, she has had a few seasons of underwhelming results and is obviously out of favor with the USFSA given that she nailed a SP with a 3-3 and still finished behind a skater with a fall.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think the difference is we haven't seen Alissa for a year, so she may come back better (or worse) than before. That uncertainty gives some people hope. With Mirai, she has had a few seasons of underwhelming results and is obviously out of favor with the USFSA given that she nailed a SP with a 3-3 and still finished behind a skater with a fall.
    I honestly feel like Mirai was simply unlucky at nationals this year. Her SP was proof that she was on the upswing and her results on the GP were solid as well (3rd and 4th). She just picked a terrible time to be sick. Mirai was severely congested and that undoubtedly hurt her stamina in the FS.

I think if she comes back strong next season she has a good shot at that 3rd spot...or at least as good as anyone else and even better than some, but she's not exactly a front-runner. She'll have to show up and deliver two convincing performances.

I still think she's in the mix...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I still think she's in the mix...
    I do too. Obviously looking at career results she is top 3, but it has been several years since she has shown anything close to the form that saw her get 4th in Vancouver.

Miserere Nobis
    I don't know how Mirai plans to fix her jumps, or, if not, whether the international judges will be lenient with UR deductions next season. She knows from Nationals that, at least on home ice, glaring technical flaws aren't going to fly. But I'd love to see her on the GP circuit. If she could get anywhere close to her 2010 shape, the third spot will be hers, even with Gao, Zawadzki, and Czisny in the running.

That would be great, honestly. The US would theoretically be sending three ladies (Ashley, Gracie, Mirai) who all have SOME chance, however slim, of making the podium in Sochi. Go, Mirai, go!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    That would be great, honestly. The US would theoretically be sending three ladies (Ashley, Gracie, Mirai) who all have SOME chance, however slim, of making the podium in Sochi. Go, Mirai, go!
    Mirai's best total score in the last two seasons would have placed her 9th at Worlds, so I think even theoretically it would be impossible for her to medal. If everyone skates well at Nationals Mirai will get, at best, the 5th highest PCS behind the top 2, Agnes, and Alissa. If she has any problems rotating her jumps she will get buried again.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Mirai's best total score in the last two seasons would have placed her 9th at Worlds, so I think even theoretically it would be impossible for her to medal. If everyone skates well at Nationals Mirai will get, at best, the 5th highest PCS behind the top 2, Agnes, and Alissa. If she has any problems rotating her jumps she will get buried again.
    I did say that this hinges upon the marginal possibility that Mirai returns to her 2010 shape by Nationals. Otherwise, she obviously stands little chance of out-skating Gao, Zawadzki, or Czisny on the GP or in Boston.

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast