State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 24 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

ForeverFish

Medalist
I could see the 2a-loop-3f (although Gracie lips), but 2a+3t+3t means she couldn't do her 3z+3t combo (Zayak rule); she'd have to do 3z+3lo, which is too risky.

Yeah, I didn't think she'd stick with the 2A-3T-3T, either -- from the video, it seemed that she was going for a 2A-3T and stuck an extra 3T on the end just for kicks. She knows that her money combo is the 3Lz-3T, which I believe she's going to incorporate in both programs from the start of the season.

She mentioned that she's almost cleaned up the lip, which is good news. But she tends to switch to the more comfortable outside-edge when she's uncertain, so merely fixing the issue in practice won't be enough.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her 2A-3T is fine, but the 3rd 3T was no where near clean even in practice.
I don't think we will see a 3x3x3 from her.

2A-3F looks good, the 3F looks clean.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's a "push yourself to the limit" kind of thing (the 2A+3T+3T) - CAN you do it? Not WILL you do it...

LeCygne

Final Flight
It's a "push yourself to the limit" kind of thing (the 2A+3T+3T) - CAN you do it? Not WILL you do it...

Yeah, it's like if you know you can do 2A-3T-3T, then in competition 2A-3T will seem easy. Two seasons ago Gracie posted videos of a 3Z-3T-3L that actually looked fully rotated but of course we're not going to see that in competition.

Rippon lutz and flip: http://instagram.com/p/bElEU_rAvT/ Wonder if she'll try these again in her programs.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Gracie last season overdid it with her jump layout and had to go back to was doing before. I think consistency is what she needs to be shooting for and not going overboard on her jumps.

This. I think posting the video was just self-promotion in a "lookey what I can do!" way and not in a "coming soon to a FS near you" kind of way. Just like the 3Lz-3T-3L she posted last year...I seriously doubt we'd ever see that in a competition. Has any woman ever landed a 3-3-3 in competition?

The 2A-3T-3T basically exhausts her ability to do any other big combos but the 2A-3F was nice and looked good (can't tell about the edge take off though). That could be an option for a competitive program especially since most people do a 3F+2A sequence...reversing it would work nicely.

I hope she's working hard on getting her currently layout consistent and steady, and that includes her 3-3s which didn't have a great success rate last year (several falls and step outs).

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's just "showing off" for lack of a better term. Don't expect to see that stuff in her actual programs...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Exactly. You can't spend ALL your time on the ice only working on what's in your program. **BORING** :p

Actually, I think the 2A+1Lo+3F was an exercise designed to work on the edge on her 3F and the timing of the reach back.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Gracie training new jump combos: http://instagram.com/p/bB-u-4rAvW/ Looks good, but I don't know if they will make it into her programs next season. Could just be jump exercises.
I think that the second 3T was UR, but the 2A+1Lo+3F was magnificent, I think that the edge of the flip was actually clean! :clap: She won't obviously include them in her programs, what she needs is skating clean her current layout

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that the second 3T was UR, but the 2A+1Lo+3F was magnificent, I think that the edge of the flip was actually clean! :clap: She won't obviously include them in her programs, what she needs is skating clean her current layout
Just watching those clips you can feel the speed and power she has going into those jumps.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Just watching those clips you can feel the speed and power she has going into those jumps.

I really enjoyed watching them too. I agree with everyone who thinks these are just for fun, because it would be hard to extract many more points from any other layout aside from what she did last season.

ForeverFish

Medalist

She could include the 2A+Lo+3F for a higher BV and cut out the 3F+2T+2T. She wouldn't be Zayaking if she keeps the rest of her FS the same -- 2 Lutzes, 2 toe-loops, 2 axels, 2 loops, 1 salchow, and 1 flip.

And of course she's making the videos in a "look what I can do" attitude. She has some the best jumps in the world, so why shouldn't she be proud of them?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her layout could be
3Lz-3T
2A
3S
2A-Lo-3F
3Lo-2T
3Lz
3Lo

Repeating 3Lz and 3Lo increase her BV a bit more. This would be very hard to beat TES wise.

vera01

Final Flight
Her layout could be
3Lz-3T
2A
3S
2A-Lo-3F
3Lo-2T
3Lz
3Lo

Repeating 3Lz and 3Lo increase her BV a bit more. This would be very hard to beat TES wise.

I think it's too risky for Gracie to do this layout. 3Lo is her most inconsistent jump, and I especially don't think that it would be a good idea for her to do both of the 3Los in the second half of the program.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She should keep 2a-3t but put it in the 2nd half of her program instead, this layout would be very difficult, but seemingly within her comfort zone:

3lz-3t
2a
3lo
x 2a-3t
x 3lz
x 2a-1/2lo-3f
x 3s

vera01

Final Flight
She should keep 2a-3t but put it in the 2nd half of her program instead, this layout would be very difficult, but seemingly within her comfort zone:

3lz-3t
2a
3lo
x 2a-3t
x 3lz
x 2a-1/2lo-3f
x 3s

There's 3 2As, which means that if she ever tried this layout at competitions, she's going to get no score at all for 2A-Lo-3F.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think it's too risky for Gracie to do this layout. 3Lo is her most inconsistent jump, and I especially don't think that it would be a good idea for her to do both of the 3Los in the second half of the program.

I was going to switch the solo 3Lo with solo 3F, but she currently has an edge call on her flip.
If her 3Lo is a bit unstable, do a solo 3F, same BV, higher chance of success. Or do a solo 3T, should earn huge GOE.

minze

Medalist
Gracie is technically impresive but she has a long way to artistically her LP was badly coreograph las season and she could. not sell it. She has time to get there no doubt.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow. If I were her coach, I'd put the 2A+L+3F in her long program. The 3F at the end of the combination was an improvement over any solo 3F I've ever seen her do. That combination looked EASY, and I agree that the edge looked great.

Restating what others have said... this opens the door for other options to increase TES.

I also agree with your assessment of the 2A+3T+3T. Fun to do in practice, I'm sure, but little gained by showing that in competition.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There's 3 2As, which means that if she ever tried this layout at competitions, she's going to get no score at all for 2A-Lo-3F.

Ugh dumb me, still wish they could do 3 2As. It's so stupid that Yuna can not do her 2a-3t in her FS now because she doesn't do 3lo...

mskater93

Record Breaker
IF she were to keep that combo, she'd probably do the following:
3Lz+3T
2A+1Lo+3F
3Lo
3Lz x
3F x
3S x
2A+2T x