State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 27 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I still think Cesario should get SA over Czisny, her SP at Liberty was really good and it's not like Alissa was ever capable of a 3lo-3lo combo or a 3f with Sam's kind of height even when she was at her best. Plus it sounds like she's still not fully recovered so it's probably smarter for her to wait rather than rush back to competition and risk getting hurt AGAIN. And maybe Sam is working on fixing URs which could explain the falls.
Or maybe just an off day, it can happen to everyone, especially at local (and not really important) competitions: maybe her goal was landing that 3-3 (new element for her) in the SP, so after it she just said "Ok, I've done my job" ;) and competing a full 4-minutes FS this early in the summer attempting all the triples is physically really hard!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And even though Wagner is probably treading water, she's still US' second best lady and none of the ones that are improving except for Gold is going to beat her, so saying who is improving and who is not doesn't tell much about who is the best and most likely to go to Sochi.

I'd say Ashley is still the best until Gracie is able to beat her. To me Ashley didn't improve much from 2011-12 to 2012-13, but that isn't to say she can't get better this season. I think it is not likely given her age but I supposed she did have a few issues last season with illness and injuries that could have held her back.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain's LP was Liberty was beautiful, powerful and elegant (to win the LP). Her problems in the SP were partially due to some kind of lace/skate problem. She had to stop and start again.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I'd say Ashley is still the best until Gracie is able to beat her. To me Ashley didn't improve much from 2011-12 to 2012-13, but that isn't to say she can't get better this season. I think it is not likely given her age but I supposed she did have a few issues last season with illness and injuries that could have held her back.
True, she's US' second lady at worst which is really impressive. As it was said multiple times, she needs a 3-3 and even though it may seem to be unlikely I still believe she's able to land them successfuly in competitions this season - she really wants that Olympic medal.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Agreed. I do think Gracie is the favorite coming into this season but Ashley is still the #1 US lady. Gracie has yet to beat Ashley in any competition...I wonder if people realize that?

Everyone expects Gracie to surge ahead of Ashley this season...then again people expected her to do that last season and we see how that turned out. Point is Ashley is still the champ and #1 until someone takes it from her. I think Ashley enjoys being top dog and I don't think she's going to give up her position without a fight. She's taken steps to increase her odds of staying on top so I say kudos to her. As for Gracie, she's fully capable of knocking Ashley down but she'll have to step up and do it AND be ready for the pressure that comes along with having that bulls eye on her back.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Everyone expects Gracie to surge ahead of Ashley this season...

Current trends would lead one to predict that such a thing would happen (Gold's results improving, Wagner stagnating) but we really don't know. Like I pointed out in the previous post, Gold's biggest challenge this season is going to be mental. Does she have the metal toughness to deal with the increased stress and expectations of an Olympic season? She already showed signs of cracking last season, although she appeared to get a handle on things by Worlds.

As for Gracie, she's fully capable of knocking Ashley down but she'll have to step up and do it AND be ready for the pressure that comes along with having that bulls eye on her back.

Yes...this...

AND...as for Wagner, her only trump card over Gold is consistency...she CAN put more distance between herself and Gold if she adds those 3-3s.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the US situation for ladies is pretty strong - not overly strong but lots of competitive ladies/girls. Either Wagner or Gold could podium at Olympics (I doubt there is room for both but everyone falls apart or gets sick who knows. They are both relatively young. GOld is developing more but Ashley is more consistent. It would appear Gracie has more potential and room for growth technically and artistically. I think the general consensus is that these two will go to the olympics. THey may get beaten but they will be sent. That leaves a dog's breakfast. The sad thing is no one has yet stepped up to the plate to show they are the one like Kwan or even Cohen. The it quality isn't there and some may say Wagner's time is ticking but Gold has more time. Many though Mirai might have pulled a Kimmie Meissner at world in 2010. Mira is an all around skater if she can get her jumps under control. I wonder how Flatt will do this year? Gao? Czisny is she for real or are those injuries a huge problem? THe problem there is no real "it"girl in the US who has a reputation - (good one). Cohen at least has and OSM and such and more important she had chutzpah and style. These ladies are American princess but not particularly special (Other than to their family and friends.).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Flatt plans on competing but may have no Lutz so then you really have to think of the point.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Flatt plans on competing but may have no Lutz so then you really have to think of the point.

Seriously? Why?

I was under the impression she'd delved into school and was doing quite well. Why take a step back? She hasn't been even a little bit competitive over the last two seasons...she's not going to get a GP assignment (unless they give that TBD spot to her in which case I say grab the torches and pitchforks...).

Like I said a while ago, if she wants to compete that's b/w her and her parents' bank account. I think her chances of making the team are in line with Caroline Zhang's chances of making the team.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's not get those pitchforks out yet...

gmeyers, can you link a recent source where she states that she plans to comeback? All I've seen is that she's focus on school right now and skating for fun.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tom z gave an interview and he said based on his converstions with her that she plans on coming back it was on tsl but the lutz is my view based on what she did last.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Tom z gave an interview and he said based on his converstions with her that she plans on coming back it was on tsl but the lutz is my view based on what she did last.
Yes, I pretty much agree with you: as Tom Z. said, she may compete at Sectionals/Regionals if she's healthy, but I think that, if she does it, she'll present "easy" layouts (3F+2T/3Lo SP and a FS with probably 5 triples something like 3F+2T, 3Lo, 2A, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 3F, 3S, 2A+2T I don't think she would risk a solo 3T she has never done it I think...), but I hope she competes at least!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael has said she might compete if she could skate without pain. She couldn't do that last season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think her chances of making the team are in line with Caroline Zhang's chances of making the team.

This is how I feel. I remember a lot of people were upset at the thought of Rachel making a comeback a few seasons ago, but we all know she won't factor in the Olympic/Worlds team conversation now. If she focuses on enjoying the competition and doesn't worry about the placement she could very satisfied with her return.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
^^ITA.

Rachael is a smart girl so I'm sure she's not laboring under the delusion that she will be able to get one of those spots to Sochi. The Olympic trials are a much different competition than your typical nationals...the pressure is tenfold and everything is heightened. Maybe she wants to be around that?

Point is she is not a threat. If she wants to skate just to skate I say more power to her. To me it feels like taking a step back...almost pointless seeing as how there is no chance she'll place. But I guess she may just want the experience and I can't fault her for that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Flatt wants to compete I say let her do so. I'm sure that more than anything, she will do so because she enjoys the process, regardless of whether or not she thinks she has a shot at the team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Flatt wants to compete I say let her do so. I'm sure that more than anything, she will do so because she enjoys the process, regardless of whether or not she thinks she has a shot at the team.

ITA in this situation. If people are supporting Alissa why not Rachel For some reason Alissa has dodged the critism that RAchel has faced. Alissa imho is not much different than RAchel in SOME ways. She probably knew she was injured - maybe didn't want to admit it. RAchel actually did better than Alissa but was far more crucified than the more "princessy" Alissa.