State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 28 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Layfan

Record Breaker
ITA in this situation. If people are supporting Alissa why not Rachel For some reason Alissa has dodged the critism that RAchel has faced. Alissa imho is not much different than RAchel in SOME ways. She probably knew she was injured - maybe didn't want to admit it. RAchel actually did better than Alissa but was far more crucified than the more "princessy" Alissa.

I agree about Rachel but regarding Alissa, I guess it depends on your perspective. As fan of Alissa's skating, I would say Alissa has endured plenty of withering criticism over the years. Also, I'm not sure it's accurate to say Alissa or Rachael did better. Rachael made the Olympic team which is huge and Alissa didn't. On the other hand, Alissa has a few international gold medals and Rachael has none. I'd say both have had their sparkling moments on the international stage but neither had broken through to the very top. It's certainly fair to be skeptical about both Rachael and Alissa for different reasons but I agree that bienvenidas if they want to try again! They deserve it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael is the 2008 World Junior Champion, and she won one of her JGP events, so it is not correct to say Rachael has no international gold medals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SB's point is that there exists a double standard regarding views on skaters - in this particular case, Flatt and Czisny. It is well documented and I agree that there is one.

If I were to make an educated guess as to why this double standard exists, I'd chalk it up to the discrepancy in number of fans of each skater. Czisny has a LOT more (vocal) fans on this board than Flatt does and thus naturally Czisny will have more defenders...and conversely, Flatt has a considerably higher number of critics here than Czisny does.

If either wants to try, I say go ahead. Have no regrets.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael is the 2008 World Junior Champion, and she won one of her JGP events, so it is not correct to say Rachael has no international gold medals.

I think the poster meant that Rachael has no Gold medals since turning Senior which is true.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Considering Flatt recently did a one day camp for the skaters at my home rink and checking out the shape she was in, I would say Zhang has a better shot that Flatt because I don't think Flatt will be competing this year

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think the poster meant that Rachael has no Gold medals since turning Senior which is true.

Thanks, that is what I meant. But I will say that I think Rachael and Alissa BOTH didn't quite reach the levels they were hoping to reach back when they were promising juniors... By many standards they are both of course successful but I think both of them just don't want their last competitions to be the way they end their careers. I don't know if either can hope for success with the odds against them but as we always say, nobody can take away their past accomplishments.

Incidentally, Rachael's former coach Tom Z. (no I can't spell his name without looking it up) said in an interview on the Skating Lesson that he though Rachael would make a good coach (or something to that effect. I have to say I though, hey, that's probably true. There is nothing in skating that she doesn't know about: technical ability, musicality, consistency and of course great training habits. Well, I suppose her spins were pretty weak but that doesn't mean she can't teach them. Still, Rachael to me seems like a star/leader so I sort of hope that after skating she finds a field where she is not a behind the scenes person.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael is headed to medical school after she graduates, so I doubt she's going to have any time for coaching.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In an article a few months ago, Flatt said that she was choreographing a piece for a dance group at Stanford (or something like that).

Wild speculation, but if she wants to juggle anything skating-related with her medical career, maybe it will be a little choreography??

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think by action, Rachael has shown that she wants to be involved in skating in anyway she can. She has done numerous benefit shows this year.

I think that Rachael truly loves the sport, so she'll always stay connected in some way, just as many others before her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hopefully we will get to see her at Adult Nationals (and Obertsdorf) once she has established a career...

Nigel

On the Ice
Considering Flatt recently did a one day camp for the skaters at my home rink and checking out the shape she was in, I would say Zhang has a better shot that Flatt because I don't think Flatt will be competing this year

Recent skating by Alissa and Rachael:

Flatt has recently participated in Skate For Hope, the benefit show for Darin Hosier, and Nick and Tricia LaRoche's US Athletic Foundation show last weekend...
report from Jennifer Comeaux
http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2013/07/an-evening-on-ice.html

"Rachael Flatt was next, and her program to "Clair de Lune" might be the best program I've ever seen from her. From the layout it appeared to be her short program. She really felt the music and had some beautiful moments. I wish I would've recorded it!
and
@DougMattis 20 Jul
At @AnEveningonIce , lovely @RachaelFlatt just nailed 3flip & 3loop in a tribute to the light of the moon that would make Debussy so happy.

Alissa has just recently returned to performing, including the US Athletic Foundation show last weekend:
@DougMattis 20 Jul
Few people move like water...and that water is seldom as sweet as the movement of Alissa Cizny. @AnEveningonIce #aeoi13

Jennifer Comeaux:
"The final skater was Alissa Czisny, and she skated to music from the soundtrack of The Notebook - beautiful music that I wish more skaters would use! Her performance was so gentle and flowing and lovely."
no mention of jumps at this point...and probably no need to, esp with spot lights. Don't want to risk it.

Any other Alissa sightings in the last few weeks?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sigh. If she makes the team with 6 triples and no lutz... :(

You mean 6 triples total for the entire competition?

In any case, we still don't have a firm announcement that Rachael is planning on returning to competition. I don't think it makes sense to speculate on her prospects until that happens.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You mean 6 triples total for the entire competition?

In any case, we still don't have a firm announcement that Rachael is planning on returning to competition. I don't think it makes sense to speculate on her prospects until that happens.

Well I mean a 6 triple long, which you can do without 5 different triples or a 3/3.

I just panicked because she skated something that looked like a SP :laugh:

flying camel

Medalist
Any info on Mirai or her new programs?

Yea, I was just wondering the same thing. What is going on with Mirai? She has been pretty quiet about her skating. Haven't seen her at any of the summer competitions so far. Does anyone know if she is still with the same coach?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
My hope is that someone comes out of the juniors and makes the third spot. Caroline, Rachael, Alissa and Mirai peaked years ago. Even if one of them makes the team, they have no future, really. Who that mysterious junior might be is anyone's guess, but if some magical lady doesn't appear, I'd rather they send Agnes Zawadzki (or rather, hope she comes in third and makes the team).