Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    I think Gracie at times is like Carolina in her younger days. She needs to control her speed more and not rush. She has the makings of being a great jumper. That 3-3 combo in the LP at Nationals was huge in height and ice coverage.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think Gracie at times is like Carolina in her younger days. She needs to control her speed more and not rush. She has the makings of being a great jumper. That 3-3 combo in the LP at Nationals was huge in height and ice coverage.
    That is definitely her problem. Her nerves kick in and she rushes her take offs and loses her form; her shoulders go up, she tilts in the air and usually steps out or falls. She needs to learn to calm down. I honestly think better attention to her music and choreography would help her in this area. If she allowed herself to be absorbed in the music everything would flow a lot easier which would help her timing and calm her down.

People want Gracie to be this awesome skater right away and she may surprise us and actually do it. However, my feeling is that it's going to take her a few years for everything to come together and that's fine. Look how long it took Carolina to get herself together. I really would like to see her develop into a complete skater and not just a jumper...but we'll see.

Gracie training new jump combos: http://instagram.com/p/bB-u-4rAvW/ Looks good, but I don't know if they will make it into her programs next season. Could just be jump exercises.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Gracie training new jump combos: http://instagram.com/p/bB-u-4rAvW/ Looks good, but I don't know if they will make it into her programs next season. Could just be jump exercises.
    Those are excellent. 2A+3T+3T and 2A-Lo-3F. It would be great if we saw them in her new programs, since she has stated her intention to max out her technical content.

An featured article on the Boston 2014 website mentioned that Gracie trains both 3A's and 4S's in the pole harness. It's not likely that she'll add anything so difficult when so much is on the line, but wow. How amazing is that?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Those are excellent. 2A+3T+3T and 2A-Lo-3F. It would be great if we saw them in her new programs, since she has stated her intention to max out her technical content.

An featured article on the Boston 2014 website mentioned that Gracie trains both 3A's and 4S's in the pole harness. It's not likely that she'll add anything so difficult when so much is on the line, but wow. How amazing is that?
    I think it's going to be exciting to be a Gracie fan over the next year or three. Put your head down and keep at that grindstone, girll!

(but as other posters have said, I do hope she focuses on her presentation as well; I would hate for her to be considered the female version of Elvis Stojko).

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    I think it's going to be exciting to be a Gracie fan over the next year or three. Put your head down and keep at that grindstone, girll!

(but as other posters have said, I do hope she focuses on her presentation as well; I would hate for her to be considered the female version of Elvis Stojko).
    You caught me -- I'm already a Gracie uber, and she's barely even transitioned into the senior ranks.

I agree, though. What frustrated me most this season was her minimal expression throughout her programs. I really, really hope that working with Marina Zoueva will nudge her in the right direction; she can still land on international podiums with her TES, but to truly be competitive, she needs her PCS to be in the mid- to upper-60's as well.

Custom Title
    Gracie last season overdid it with her jump layout and had to go back to was doing before. I think consistency is what she needs to be shooting for and not going overboard on her jumps.

Custom Title
    I'm just wondering, who did the choreography for Gracie's Girl on Fire EX program?

Marina cleaned that up in December for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post

I could see the 2a-loop-3f (although Gracie lips), but 2a+3t+3t means she couldn't do her 3z+3t combo (Zayak rule); she'd have to do 3z+3lo, which is too risky.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I could see the 2a-loop-3f (although Gracie lips), but 2a+3t+3t means she couldn't do her 3z+3t combo (Zayak rule); she'd have to do 3z+3lo, which is too risky.
    Yeah, I didn't think she'd stick with the 2A-3T-3T, either -- from the video, it seemed that she was going for a 2A-3T and stuck an extra 3T on the end just for kicks. She knows that her money combo is the 3Lz-3T, which I believe she's going to incorporate in both programs from the start of the season.

She mentioned that she's almost cleaned up the lip, which is good news. But she tends to switch to the more comfortable outside-edge when she's uncertain, so merely fixing the issue in practice won't be enough.

Custom Title
    Her 2A-3T is fine, but the 3rd 3T was no where near clean even in practice.
    I don't think we will see a 3x3x3 from her.

2A-3F looks good, the 3F looks clean.

It's a "push yourself to the limit" kind of thing (the 2A+3T+3T) - CAN you do it? Not WILL you do it...

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It's a "push yourself to the limit" kind of thing (the 2A+3T+3T) - CAN you do it? Not WILL you do it...
    Yeah, it's like if you know you can do 2A-3T-3T, then in competition 2A-3T will seem easy. Two seasons ago Gracie posted videos of a 3Z-3T-3L that actually looked fully rotated but of course we're not going to see that in competition.

Rippon lutz and flip: http://instagram.com/p/bElEU_rAvT/ Wonder if she'll try these again in her programs.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Gracie last season overdid it with her jump layout and had to go back to was doing before. I think consistency is what she needs to be shooting for and not going overboard on her jumps.
    This. I think posting the video was just self-promotion in a "lookey what I can do!" way and not in a "coming soon to a FS near you" kind of way. Just like the 3Lz-3T-3L she posted last year...I seriously doubt we'd ever see that in a competition. Has any woman ever landed a 3-3-3 in competition?

The 2A-3T-3T basically exhausts her ability to do any other big combos but the 2A-3F was nice and looked good (can't tell about the edge take off though). That could be an option for a competitive program especially since most people do a 3F+2A sequence...reversing it would work nicely.

I hope she's working hard on getting her currently layout consistent and steady, and that includes her 3-3s which didn't have a great success rate last year (several falls and step outs).

Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast