State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 32 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, you can easily notice it watching the video: the toeloop is clearly cheated but the flip was really good (I think that she has finally almost fixed her edge problems), it looks like the same situation she had with her 3T+3T at the beginning of the 2012-2013 season: she has to work on that second triple, but she was able to fix it in time for Nationals last year so I'm really confident that she'll have a good combo for the important events... And, she's attempting the 3Lz in the second half, so it means that it is now really a stable jump for her in training, too! :yes::popcorn:

I like this program for Mirai, and I LOVE the dress. Both the 3T and the 3Z looked URed in real time but hopefully as the season progressed she can address that. She does look to be in much better shape and the BV of the jumps in her SP is the same as Yuna's, so if she's clean she will be in the mix for the top of the podium at Nationals. Her final spin looked strong and the other two might have been shaky because she is trying new positions.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I like her dresses for both SP and LP. I don't love them. They just look nice and serve their purpose.
I like she's working her butt off and in amazing shape.

I don't think now is the time to comment on jumps. Still very early. The planned contents are more important.

I would blow a fuse if freaking Agnes places over her at Nat if both make similar mistakes.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Nice to have some news about Mirai. Does anyone have the link to the GF videos? I can't seem to find them on Youtube.

ETA: Found the SP on the Glacier Falls thread. She does look like she is pushing herself. Seems like a good start for early in the season, hopefully she'll get more comfortable with those spins and the 3-3. Great to see her again! She looked lovely.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Nice to have some news about Mirai. Does anyone have the link to the GF videos? I can't seem to find them on Youtube.

ETA: Found the SP on the Glacier Falls thread. She does look like she is pushing herself. Seems like a good start for early in the season, hopefully she'll get more comfortable with those spins and the 3-3. Great to see her again! She looked lovely.

I found a good video on you tube. She looked lovely and very much in shape. The second triple on her combo was UR but she is getting close! I replayed the lutz a few times am it looked like an outside edge to me, so much improvement from the last few seasons! Her spins were slower than normal but her layback was gorgeous and has good speed. I can't wait to see her long program.

Icey

Record Breaker
Of the current world's national title holders (major countries), Is Ashley the only one who doesn't have a 3/3?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Of the current world's national title holders (major countries), Is Ashley the only one who doesn't have a 3/3?

What is a major country? But off-hand, it seems most ladies in the top attempt a 3-3.

Here's what some national winners landed previous season:

Kaetlyn Osmond (CAN): 3T+3T
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (RUS): 3Lz+3T
Carolina Kostner (ITA): 3T+3T, 3F+3T
Yuna Kim (KOR): 3Lz+3T, 3F+3T
Zijun Li (CHN): 3T+3T, 3F+3T
Mae Berenice Meite (FRA, 2nd at Nats but send to WC): 3T+3T
Viktoria Helgesson (SWE): 3T+3T

Mao Asada (JPN) didn't land a 3-3 last season, but she came close to a 3F+3Lo once. Also she landed the 3A and 2A+3T last season which Wagner did not.

At Worlds 2013, in the SP all - but Wagner - had planned a 3-3 or a 3A in the SP (not everyone was succesfuld though).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Ashley is also one of the few who tries all the triples through the lutz, and might have performed the most clean programs of the top international contenders last season (aside from Yuna). She does compensate for her lack of the 3/3, as evidenced by her beating Gracie in their head-to-heads. But consistency isn't going to get her the 130+ LP she needs to compete for the podium at Worlds and Olympics. Five skaters surpassed that score internationally last season, Gracie did it at Nationals, and a few more (Adelina, maybe Julia) could achieve that if clean. Ashley has achieved all she can without a 3/3 so to break through this ceiling she needs to go for it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie not skating clean is why Ashley beat Gracie more then once last season. Grace was probably a doubled jump away from beating Ashley at the WTT.

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought it was interesting in Ashley's TSL interview, when she was talking about WHY her 3-3 didn't work in competition, even though it did in training. That she jumped more on feeling than technique, and that the feeling changed from training to competition - and that she wanted it too much. And that she hoped Rafael Araturian would teach her to jump more on technique instead, which would then remain constant from training to competition. I haven't been "following" along for so long, but I think I've seen comments here on GS about her, that she has had other technical issues in the past, which she has fixed? Was it URs or something? I think she is a girl with determination and grit, and I wish her all the luck with her 3-3!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
After hearing her TSL interview I feel that she just isn't going to go much of anywhere with the 3/3. As the interview was done recently she mentioned no real progress with it. Its interesting that both Ashley and Sasha were apparently the same in that they jumped on "feeling" and didn't always have the most perfect technique to back them up under the pressure of competition...also very interesting to hear how Phillip Mills was more of her technical coach than Mr. Nicks. I hope the break up will not hurt her jumps...i this sounds worse than i had made it out to be.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah, the TSL interview was very informative. I don't think anyone knew how much stress she was under with all her coaching/choreographer changes earlier this year. I really feel for her in that this is not how you want your Olympic preparation to begin - in her words, everything was falling apart instead of falling into place. She does seem like she has gotten through it quite well and made some smart decisions in skipping The Ice to focus on training, but I'm still doubtful about the 3-3. She's talked about it every season and has really put it off until the last possible moment, and I don't see how it can become technically sound, let alone consistent, in the amount of time she has.

babyalligator

On the Ice
If this girl survives puberty and growth spurts she is a future star. I sense that after Sochi the US is going to take over as the power again in Ladies skating especially with Japan losing Mao, Suzuki, Ando and maybe even Murakami.

seriously! color me impressed. look forward to seeing how she does in the coming years.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At Glacier Falls, Karen Chen scored 179.39 (61.38, 118.01) to qualify for the Junior Ladies FSF and then scored 119.29 in the FSF. Very, very impressive.

Meanwhile, in the Seniors, Courtney Hicks won the SP with 63.39 (Mirai scored 56.67) and apparently aced the FS (scores yet to come). I have a feeling we will be seeing Courtney in the TBA spot at SA and a Senior B. She may be staking her claim to that 3rd Olympic spot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glacier Falls FS top 3:
1. Courtney HICKS 185.86 - 122.47 in FS
2. Polina EDMUNDS 173.60 - 117.23 in FS
3. Mirai NAGASU 158.99 - 102.32 in FS

Doesn't look to me as if Mirai is in a position to challenge for that 3rd Olympic spot

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition for that third spot is going to be insane. Agnes, Christina and Courtney are my bets for who will be fighting to get it. Alissa has age and injuries against her and Mirai just has to many issues with her jumps. Polina and Angela Wang could surprise also.

kalle

On the Ice
Glacier Falls FS top 3:
1. Courtney HICKS 185.86 - 122.47 in FS
2. Polina EDMUNDS 173.60 - 117.23 in FS
3. Mirai NAGASU 158.99 - 102.32 in FS

Doesn't look to me as if Mirai is in a position to challenge for that 3rd Olympic spot

It is a bit early to say that about Mirai no?Since when did she ever start her season with a +160-170 score..
I am more interested to see the actual program and it's potential..

Anyway,very impressive by Hicks!She seems to be in a very good place right know and hopefully she will get that Skate America slot.
The other American ladies needs to bring their A game this fall, really exciting!I wonder about the potential for Hicks to score even higher?
I just hope her programs looks a bit more refined this year..

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, some are forgetting Nagasu's competitive history...she is a LATE season skater-and thus, these results mean absolutely nothing.

Remember, Nagasu didn't impress during the fall of 2009, either....