State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 33 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

burntBREAD

Medalist
Not to mention she was just halfway across the world in Japan what, two-three days ago? I feel encouraged more by how fit and calm she looks already.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
People who compare this situation to 2009-2010 must forgot that she wasn't even an underdog that season. Only two girls (Ashley and Rachael) did better than her preceding Nationals. This time around, there are a bunch of girls who are already doing better than her and all are gunning for 1 spot.

Very dire situation this time around. Mirai should be worried. This is a good wake up call for her.
Courtney will continue to improve, and isn't going to wait for her.
Agnes is the perpetual favorite.
Gao is the underdog.
Not to mention Angela Wang.

Mirai isn't even an underdog anymore. She's just an outsider trying to break into the inner circle. It will be hard for her.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's a question, though, isn't it? Is it a good idea to peak in August when the Olympics are in February? And how many could maintain a consistent peak from August to February?

I've noticed that quite often only the last competition seems to "count" - last year people were almost anointing Ashley world champion - or at least serious threat for the gold - in the autumn. And I don't know how many were crowned Olympic champion - before Yuna returned.

Not that it isn't fun to speculate - it's just that some people seem to forget that that is what it is: Speculation.

kalle

On the Ice
That was pretty bad. Both her jumps and that program...

I think it's pretty similar to what she use to show us this early in the season.I wish she had another "warm up"competition before her first GP..
On the other hand, I am hoping Hicks is not peaking too early!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just some somewhat unformed thoughts/reactions -- whereas I agree that any athlete wants his or her best performance at the biggest competition, I don't think that's quite equivalent to deciding that other competitions are complete throwaways or don't mean anything. And I'm not saying that any poster here has said exactly that, but I am uncomfortable with this notion that somehow the skaters don't worry at all about their early-season results. Yes, these are just chances to try out new programs, get back into competitive mode, etc. But does anyone really think Mirai is saying to herself, "Woo-hoo, I just lost to Hicks and Edmunds! I'm on my way to a great season!" or "Wow, this is great, as soon as I get my jumps perfected I'm gonna kick some butt!" or "I was third in an unrated comp! Hooray! Awesome start to the season!" ??

I guess all I'm saying is, maybe it's true that the skaters shouldn't fall into deep depression over results in events that don't really count -- heck, even GPF winners can go on to fall down or off the podium at Worlds, and that must be devastating to them. But still, any athlete who enters even a minor competition and doesn't do well against competitors they should be able to eat for lunch ... well, it may not be the absolute end, but to me it's hard to see it as okay or not significant at all or a good portent for the season ahead. Eye of the tiger and all that. Surely no one plans to lose a comp, even early in the season.

I'd rather be in Hicks's skates than Nagasu's. I'd be glad to be building momentum, not worrying about any (largely mythical IMO) peaking too early.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Food for thought on losing early comps.

I sort of think "early in the season" applies to new moves/jumps/spins and new choreography... I think this merits some forgiveness.

On the other hand, you'd expect a seasoned competitor with years of senior competition to land some jumps. I'm not saying Mirai botched a bunch of jumps... I haven't watched nor have I heard anything... but if she did, I would think this is discouraging.

I especially think that "early in the season" forgiveness is merited to skaters who fully intend not to skate a fully loaded program, for whatever reason. Gracie Gold and Jason Brown and their early efforts pop to mind. Less technically focused and more choreo/performance focused (although the jumps they did were more than adequate).

samson

Medalist
Here's my thing... it's all about perspective. I don't think any skater would ever think "Oh good, I didn't win this time!" but it's also August. Different skaters are able to peak in different ways. Courtney Hicks had what looks like a great fs. 122 is a big score and a huge score for August. But she's also likely gunning for that SA spot. Mirai doesn't need it - she has two grand prixs.

For any skater it can be really valuable to get your program out early in front of a crowd. Get feedback from the judges. See what worked - what needs to be retooled. Mirai JUST got back from Japan. Jet lag is a pain and it's August.

For what it's worth Mirai actually scored higher in the free skate here than she did at Glacier Falls in 2012 or 2011 and better than her performance at Golden West in 2009.

She's just not a summertime high scorer. What I think is more relevant is the way she sells this program. The music works well on her and you can tell she gets into it.

Boy I do hope she can overcome those UR's. With the jump content she has planned in the sp if she can do a clean sp/lp she would be quite the force to reckon with.

vera01

Final Flight
Here's my thing... it's all about perspective. I don't think any skater would ever think "Oh good, I didn't win this time!" but it's also August. Different skaters are able to peak in different ways. Courtney Hicks had what looks like a great fs. 122 is a big score and a huge score for August. But she's also likely gunning for that SA spot. Mirai doesn't need it - she has two grand prixs.

But isn't Courtney competing as a junior internationally this season? I think they should give the spot to Samantha, since unlike Courtney, she can't compete in JGP anymore.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Again: in 2009, Nagasu was considered by many to be part of the 2014 cycle, not the 2010 one. She came off a 5th place at the previous Nationals. Then we all know what happened...a totally different Nagasu shows up at 2010 Nationals, and the rest is history...

While it might be tempting to do so now, I'd caution against counting her out this season.

As for Hicks and Edmunds, they're on a different timetable so I'd expect them to be in somewhat better shape than the top Olympic contenders at this stage.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
While it might be tempting to do so now, I'd caution against counting her out this season.

I kind of agree, but I was more hopeful before seeing her LP. Although she looks more fit, the URing is still a severe problem for her. For her to do 6 triples and 2 double axels with one visible error and score only 102 means she is not rotating a lot of jumps.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Nagasu seems to be in good shape a bit coming for this season, spins need a bit of work
jumps look ok, not sure if they are UR

willdu

On the Ice
Nagasu looks fine for August. In 2010 she didn't really pike up speed until nationals (ie CoC wasn't great for her). I'm pretty sure I saw an edge call on that lutz. I'm excited how much potential depth the US has. Mirai is definitely a sentimental favorite for the third spot for me. Along with Gao. But I can totally see a younger skater taking the spot. And I would be completely fine with that as it would help over the next quad. But all I want is for everyone to hit at Nationals and for the best three to go to the olympics and skate their hearts out like they did in 2010.

Addressing peaking, I totally do think there is such thing as peaking at the right time. When you are an athlete and want to peak, you put in extra work and hours the following days/weeks and slowly build up to your peak. It really does count. That extra work puts strain on your body but produces results. At the same time, it isn't healthy to maintain that intensity all year long. However, it is totally up to the athlete to decide how much is just enough for the nonpeaking times of the year.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I kind of agree, but I was more hopeful before seeing her LP. Although she looks more fit, the URing is still a severe problem for her. For her to do 6 triples and 2 double axels with one visible error and score only 102 means she is not rotating a lot of jumps.

I think she is URing due to her lack of speed going into the jumps. She seems to still be a little tentative. I think that will get better as the season progresses. I see alot of positive improvement though, having more fight and going for more difficult tech content.

I am happy for Courtney Hicks for having a really strong showing!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Too hard for me to judge Mirai's choreo and all that when she's a tiny dot on the screen.
It seems like her issues toward the end of the program had to do with stamina? She seems to slow down and get slower getting into the jumps. So that seems like something that should keep improving with practice. Hopefully!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was slow right from the beginning of the FS and slowed down even more as the program went on. Mirai has always had stamina issues, and the Bond music sure doesn't help. It starts at a slow pace, goes on at a slow pace, and ends at a slow pace. There is no high point in the music until the final spin. And there's not much in the music to cue the jumps, which is a great disadvantage. It's relentlessly blah.

The program is bad, and even the best skater landing all of the jumps would have a problem selling it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai was slow right from the beginning of the FS and slowed down even more as the program went on. Mirai has always had stamina issues, and the Bond music sure doesn't help. It starts at a slow pace, goes on at a slow pace, and ends at a slow pace. There is no high point in the music until the final spin. And there's not much in the music to cue the jumps, which is a great disadvantage. It's relentlessly blah.

The program is bad, and even the best skater landing all of the jumps would have a problem selling it.

It didn't get me too excited but I still want to wait to see it properly ... who choreographed it? the music mix does seem a bit puzzling and I question the decision to do that gun pose just four years after Yuna did it. But still, I want to see it later in the season and properly.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It didn't get me too excited but I still want to wait to see it properly ... who choreographed it? the music mix does seem a bit puzzling and I question the decision to do that gun pose just four years after Yuna did it. But still, I want to see it later in the season and properly.

She really is copy catting Yu-na. Both with the lyrical Gershwin at the Bond.