State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 37 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Christina is NOT a dramatic skater. The intense music of "Angels and Demons" just doesn't cut it for her. Her tango last season left me with the same impression -- that she was struggling to fit herself into a box that she didn't belong in. She isn't particularly fast across the ice, so she needs a lyrical piece that will accentuate the lovely lines and extensions that she's capable of producing. But, then again, maybe I'll change my mind after seeing her at SC.

I feel exactly the opposite. A lyrical program on Christina would be boring and give her no chance to stand out from the rest of the ladies. I understand what you are saying about her lines and extension, but IMO it's even harder to pull off lyrical for skaters and not come across as boring. Even skaters like Alissa and Mirai have to skate very well to sell their lyrical programs, and I don't see Christina as their equal if all skate their best. I like her program and think with practice she can present it better as the season unfolds.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I feel exactly the opposite. A lyrical program on Christina would be boring and give her no chance to stand out from the rest of the ladies. I understand what you are saying about her lines and extension, but IMO it's even harder to pull off lyrical for skaters and not come across as boring. Even skaters like Alissa and Mirai have to skate very well to sell their lyrical programs, and I don't see Christina as their equal if all skate their best. I like her program and think with practice she can present it better as the season unfolds.

I agree. Even if the judges don't like the program at least there's a better chance they'll remember it. Another run-of-the-mill lyrical program would do Christina no favors. I like that she's stepping outside of what's expected, taking a risk and doing something new this year. The program still needs work but I do think it's more eye catching than anything else she's ever done.

TSL were not very receptive but you can bet if Christina has a good performance and the judges score her well both Dave and Jenny will do an about-face and recant their words. I think the program has more potential than anything else we've seen so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Christina and I hope she proves everyone wrong.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gold's 'Sleeping Beauty' no pretty little princess
Independent Gao takes charge of future; Czisny on way back

Posted 8/26/13 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/26/58200968

Gao is being weaned from the protective boot that she was wearing at Champs Camp b/c of right foot pain.
She refers to her "one shot" at the Olympics ... implying that she will end her career before 2018.

Dungjen says there is talk of sending Czisny to Cup of Nice. She will be skating at a local competition in September.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Gold's 'Sleeping Beauty' no pretty little princess
Independent Gao takes charge of future; Czisny on way back

Posted 8/26/13 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/26/58200968

Gao is being weaned from the protective boot that she was wearing at Champs Camp b/c of right foot pain.
She refers to her "one shot" at the Olympics ... implying that she will end her career before 2018.

Dungjen says there is talk of sending Czisny to Cup of Nice. She will be skating at a local competition in September.

I think if Gracie wants to portray someone other than Aurora, they should re-think that pink dress. I'm just saying...you see the pink and immediately think, "Oh, she is Sleeping Beauty aka Aurora." Maybe if they went with something a little more neutral she would be able to get away from that assumption.

I think it is smart to try to put the 2A and 3F in the bonus in her SP but then again she struggled just doing the 2A in the bonus last season and eventually ended up stacking all of her jumping passes back-to-back-to-back at the front of the program. It's going to take a lot of focus for her to keep her composure and not rush those elements in the 2nd half...

Glad to hear whatever is going on with Christina isn't too bad. I was worried about her foot being injured. Hopefully she'll stay healthy. I like that she's going for something different in the FS and I think as she gets more comfortable with the program she'll be able to deliver it better.

I really hope Alissa can make it back but I am doubtful. I don't know that I'll ever be able to relax and watch her...then again, it wasn't like I could ever relax and watch her. She was so unstable with her jumps I never knew whether she was going to land them or splat. Now I'm more worried about what watching her is going to be like. I'll be expecting an hip injury every time she lands something. :no:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm. Cup of Nice is within the same week as Skate America. But it's 15 days later than the end of Eastern GL Regionals, which is outside the two-week interval usually allowed for byes. Does that mean USFS is giving Alissa Czisny a bye through Regionals? I would think that she would then have to do Sectionals, unless USFS sends her to another international in November. But two internationals within a month would be a bit much for a skater recovering from injury.

And to give a skater who hasn't competed anywhere since Worlds 2012 byes through both National preps seems to be very preferential treatment. If USFS can do that for Czisny, why not for Flatt?

I really hope Alissa can make it back but I am doubtful. I don't know that I'll ever be able to relax and watch her...then again, it wasn't like I could ever relax and watch her. She was so unstable with her jumps I never knew whether she was going to land them or splat. Now I'm more worried about what watching her is going to be like. I'll be expecting an hip injury every time she lands something. :no:

I quite agree about Alissa. She's a skater that I'm happier watching on video, because it's such an emotionally exhausting job watching her live. And yet I still love her.

I don't know what the state of pro skating is in this country, but I wish she could find a way to have a pro career for a few years, so we could watch her glorious spins without having to fear for her life every time she hazards a jump. I'm so glad she has a college degree, because I'm less worried about her future than I otherwise would be. Of course the best outcome this year is for her to have a healthy season and do well, at least nationally.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I quite agree about Alissa. She's a skater that I'm happier watching on video, because it's such an emotionally exhausting job watching her live. And yet I still love her.

I don't know what the state of pro skating is in this country, but I wish she could find a way to have a pro career for a few years, so we could watch her glorious spins without having to fear for her life every time she hazards a jump. I'm so glad she has a college degree, because I'm less worried about her future than I otherwise would be. Of course the best outcome this year is for her to have a healthy season and do well, at least nationally.

I think Alissa would be a very nice draw for shows like SOI and the shows in Asia. She has many fans all over and she's one of the few skaters who I wouldn't mind watching sans the jumps. Her skating is gorgeous...she's never had good jumps but she has beautiful and velvety smooth flow across the ice, she interprets music well and she has enough "wow" moves to keep an audience entertained. As long as she retains her flexibility and can do those spins, I think she could have a very active pro career if she decided to keep skating after competing. I actually think she'd be a better pro skater than competitive skater...

LRK

Record Breaker
Hmmm. Cup of Nice is within the same week as Skate America. But it's 15 days later than the end of Eastern GL Regionals, which is outside the two-week interval usually allowed for byes. Does that mean USFS is giving Alissa Czisny a bye through Regionals? I would think that she would then have to do Sectionals, unless USFS sends her to another international in November. But two internationals within a month would be a bit much for a skater recovering from injury.

And to give a skater who hasn't competed anywhere since Worlds 2012 byes through both National preps seems to be very preferential treatment. If USFS can do that for Czisny, why not for Flatt?

Alissa does need the international competition to get the minimum TES - as, of course, does Rachael. So, if they wanted to be fair, the solution would be to arrange for Rachael to also go to some international event. Perhaps they think Alissa has the greater chance to actually qualify and thus to need to reach the TES? Is it certain that Rachael is getting no seniorB's?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Overall I agree there has been a preference in the treatment of Alissa versus Rachel from both fans and the USFSA, but in this case Rachel has had poor results for two full seasons and there are many more skaters deserving of international assignments. I don't think you can use results from three seasons ago to justify special treatment. Furthermore, Alissa has given the impression that skating is her #1 priority while Rachel has not (which is perfectly fine, but IMO it means Rachel should have to show that she is able to balance both and be strong enough to compete nationally before getting international assignments.)

I think given that it's an Olympic year, Rachael might have to show her commitment by taking a lighter courseload or taking the semester off. Has she indicated that she would be doing that?

IleK

On the Ice
Who knows what happened to Hannah Miller? I am not asking as fan but just out of curiousity. I don't understand why after her good 2012-1013 JGP season we heard nothing about her. She has no JGP and she won silver at last year final. Yes, she was 10th at nationals but Angela (whom I like more) was 9th with almost the same points and at least she was supposed to have one or maybe to JGP but she was replaced because she is injured or in bad shape, not sure about the reason. And now she is listed as a substitude. Hannah is not even a substitude. Ashley Cain was in 12th at nationals and she got a Senior B.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think given that it's an Olympic year, Rachael might have to show her commitment by taking a lighter courseload or taking the semester off. Has she indicated that she would be doing that?

I haven't heard any reports that she has. She peaked in 2010, the sport has moved on.

lcd

Match Penalty
So the comment thread for TSL includes a very confident assertion that Gracie will be heading to LA to be coached by Frank Carroll. IF IT IS TRUE then it is opportune timing given the uncertainty that now surrounds Evan's status for competing over the coming weeks. I think this would be a very logical decision for Gracie to make, and probably exciting for Frank to once again return to the Ladies' scene with a contender in an Olympic year. Would be not since Michele in 1998 if I'm not mistaken. Frank is pretty tremendous at polishing. Sounds like a potential good fit to me. Time will tell, and that time is soon running out.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Bit late to be making such a drastic move...? :think: Cutting it a bit close, no? Man.

If true, I assume we'll be hearing about it within the next week or so.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who knows what happened to Hannah Miller? I am not asking as fan but just out of curiousity. I don't understand why after her good 2012-1013 JGP season we heard nothing about her. She has no JGP and she won silver at last year final. Yes, she was 10th at nationals but Angela (whom I like more) was 9th with almost the same points and at least she was supposed to have one or maybe to JGP but she was replaced because she is injured or in bad shape, not sure about the reason. And now she is listed as a substitude. Hannah is not even a substitude. Ashley Cain was in 12th at nationals and she got a Senior B.

Apparently Hannah has had an injury that kept her off the ice for a time. She was scheduled for a JGP, but has since been taken off that assignment, after a summer competition that didn't go so well.

bibi24

Final Flight
Why does the title of this thread sound so serious? "State"?

Sorry I am new to the Americas scene.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why does the title of this thread sound so serious? "State"?

Sorry I am new to the Americas scene.

We like to exaggerate. Just kidding.

Mmm, well, "state" doesn't necessarily have negative connotations--it is defined as the mode or condition of something at a certain time.

IleK

On the Ice
Apparently Hannah has had an injury that kept her off the ice for a time. She was scheduled for a JGP, but has since been taken off that assignment, after a summer competition that didn't go so well.

Thank you, that explains a lot. Now I can see her assigned at the last JGP together with Angela Wang (yay, she has 2 JGP) and maybe if she feels better she will be able to have a second JGP sooner, like the one with Kiri Baga and Amber Glenn(!?). Russia and SUA are making so many and often changes on the entry lists that I don't who is where/isn't anymore and why.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How old is Kiri Baga? She's been on the JGP for years now. She must be close to aging out.