Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    Any info on Mirai or her new programs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post
    Any info on Mirai or her new programs?
    Yea, I was just wondering the same thing. What is going on with Mirai? She has been pretty quiet about her skating. Haven't seen her at any of the summer competitions so far. Does anyone know if she is still with the same coach?

Custom Title
    My hope is that someone comes out of the juniors and makes the third spot. Caroline, Rachael, Alissa and Mirai peaked years ago. Even if one of them makes the team, they have no future, really. Who that mysterious junior might be is anyone's guess, but if some magical lady doesn't appear, I'd rather they send Agnes Zawadzki (or rather, hope she comes in third and makes the team).

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    In photos from her fellow skaters performing in The Ice shows, Nagasu looks as if she is having a good time with them.
    Example:

Wow, all Japanese girls...

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    My hope is that someone comes out of the juniors and makes the third spot. Caroline, Rachael, Alissa and Mirai peaked years ago. Even if one of them makes the team, they have no future, really. Who that mysterious junior might be is anyone's guess, but if some magical lady doesn't appear, I'd rather they send Agnes Zawadzki (or rather, hope she comes in third and makes the team).
    I think "the magical lady" is Gracie. Anyway I agree with you. I would send Agnes (in case Alissa won't be ready). I respect their endless effort, it's really everyday effort over years to be a figure skater. So it's fine with me any one of them who has worked hard should get a reward. It's very good that America got 3 spots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think Samantha Cesario could be building a case for that SA spot....

From Sylvia:

57 seems low for a 3Lo-3Lo, so the second jump was probably UR or DG...however, good for her for trying it!
    Samantha and Courtney Hicks have both been assigned to the US International Figure Skating Classic Senior B in September. I bet the USFSA is using the event to determine which skater will get the third spot at Skate America. Honestly, I wish they both could get Skate America spots. They deserve it for finishing much higher than Caroline Zhang at Nationals. Giving Caroline the Skate America spot is akin to giving the spot to Rachael Flatt last year. Caroline, like Rachael, is obviously not competitive on the international level anymore, so it's almost like wasting the spot. I wish the USFSA would be more proactive in giving chances to promising young skaters. They need to look to the future and they seem so set on hanging onto the past. The way they hold back promising young skaters in favor of underperforming veteran skaters is baffling to me.

Agnes is very likely to make the podium at Nationals with the score inflation she gets from US judges. But I'd like to see her have some success on the international stage before I would support her making the Olympic team. Her international PB is only 166, and she has trouble making it through the free skate. If she continues to deliver mediocre performances on the international stage, I'd rather see Christina Gao make the team. She scores better internationally than Agnes (but US judges don't give her the same respect as Agnes, so she will have to skate much cleaner than Agnes at Nationals to beat her. She was pretty clean at this year's Nationals, only messing up a spin, and she was placed behind a messy Agnes with two falls and a popped jump, so it's going to be hard for her.)

Custom Title
    Just saw this posted in a tweet on The Skating Lesson: http://t.co/4QUCW3l868

Are there any takeaways from Gracie's latest performance?

(My primary takeaway: skate watchers should be required by law, on pain of felony charges, to carry high quality cameras ).

EDIT: Oops, this video was already posted in the Programs thread. Sorry about that, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Just saw this posted in a tweet on The Skating Lesson: http://t.co/4QUCW3l868

Are there any takeaways from Gracie's latest performance?

(My primary takeaway: skate watchers should be required by law, on pain of felony charges, to carry high quality cameras ).
    Yeah, it was hard to see given the poor quality, but a few takeaways.

1.) The beauty of fancam video is that you can see how well she covers the ice. She goes from end to end in not time at all.
    2.) Her spin positions look good
    3.) I like the music cuts, I think the march/cymbals are great to highlight Gracie's power
    4.) It's too blurry to get a full picture, but it seem to me she was skating to the music as opposed to over it.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    In photos from her fellow skaters performing in The Ice shows, Nagasu looks as if she is having a good time with them.
    Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Wow, all Japanese girls...
    I happened to post the link to the most recent photo from @MaiaShibutani, which happens to be the group shot of the lovely Japanese-American and Japanese young ladies. But Maia and other cast members of The Ice have been tweeting plenty of other photos.
    For example, Nagasu appears also in these previous pics from Maia:

BTW, the ShibSibs have led us to believe that they will be making a video with The Ice cast, so I hope/expect that Nagasu eventually will be seen enjoying the fun of that.
    Not that it will indicate anything about her competitive programs, but always nice to see her smiling face.

ETA:
    Just saw that Nagasu will compete at Glacier Falls next week.
    As will Caroline Zhang and Courtney Hicks.

Custom Title
    Glacier Falls Senior Ladies:
    Amanda HOFMANN
    Anna MALKOVA
    Brittany WARD
    Caroline ZHANG
    Carolyn-Ann ALBA
    Catherine GIESE
    Courtney HICKS
    Dylan McINTEE
    Franchesca CHIERA
    Katarina KULGEYKO
    Leah KEISER

Lizzie GOETZ
    Maria YANG
    Mirai NAGASU
    Nami INODA (CAN)
    Polina EDMUNDS
    Rachel MENDELSON
    Sophia ADAMS
    Summer REYNA
    Taylor SIRSET
    Valerie BERGERON (CAN)
    Victoria MUNIZ (PUR)

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I happened to post the link to the most recent photo from @MaiaShibutani, which happens to be the group shot of the lovely Japanese-American and Japanese young ladies. But Maia and other cast members of The Ice have been tweeting plenty of other photos.
    For example, Nagasu appears also in these previous pics from Maia:

BTW, the ShibSibs have led us to believe that they will be making a video with The Ice cast, so I hope/expect that Nagasu eventually will be seen enjoying the fun of that.
    Not that it will indicate anything about her competitive programs, but always nice to see her smiling face.

ETA:
    Just saw that Nagasu will compete at Glacier Falls next week.
    As will Caroline Zhang and Courtney Hicks.
    Thank you. Great casting!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Glacier Falls Senior Ladies:
    Amanda HOFMANN
    Anna MALKOVA
    Brittany WARD
    Caroline ZHANG
    Carolyn-Ann ALBA
    Catherine GIESE
    Courtney HICKS
    Dylan McINTEE
    Franchesca CHIERA
    Katarina KULGEYKO
    Leah KEISER

Lizzie GOETZ
    Maria YANG
    Mirai NAGASU
    Nami INODA (CAN)
    Polina EDMUNDS
    Rachel MENDELSON
    Sophia ADAMS
    Summer REYNA
    Taylor SIRSET
    Valerie BERGERON (CAN)
    Victoria MUNIZ (PUR)
    Great field! So excited to watch all these new programs! But... Why did you highlight kulgeyko? Who is she?

Custom Title
    I thought on some tweet she said she was starting new and cut off her hair months ago - doesn't look it.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Great field! So excited to watch all these new programs! But... Why did you highlight kulgeyko? Who is she?
    Katarina Kulgeyko is the 2011 junior bronze medalist (behind Courtney Hicks and Lauren Dinh). She dropped to 9th in juniors in 2012. She competed in JGP Poland in 2011, finishing 5th. She has yet to compete at the senior level, either nationally or internationally.

So it's good to see her back!

Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast