State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 43 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I have never seen these notorious gold UGGs, but recall that they have been mentioned more than once by naysayers.
Maybe Ms. Gold simply likes gold? In a group photo at a dressy event (WTT closing dinner, IIRC?), she was carrying a large-ish shiny gold handbag, presumably of her own free will.
She's a teen, her name is Gold, and she seems to like sparkly stuff ... no harm, no foul.

Gold dresses, handbags, clutches, or even most shoes are not a sin. Seriously, gold is a beautiful metallic color.

UGG boots, on the other hand, should stay neutral colors. NBC fluff pieces with her walking aimlessly in the woods with the shoes certainly do not help. I'm sorry, but because of the first AND last 30 seconds, I could not take her seriously until a month later.

I do think she's wonderful now, though. :) And very much so.

Sheepskin boots are warm and fuzzy and comfortable, yes, but the gold UGGs should stay off-camera--especially when NBC is around.

Krislite

Medalist
Yes, because there seems to be no medium between "early" and "panic mode."

i.e. Reading about the US Classic this weekend makes me feel like our skaters have ample time to progress. However, once the GP series start, I will probably start to get emotional and cry, question some skaters' choices, and then start to panic for them. All because it is the Olympic season.

No need to panic for Gracie, though. I mean the US ladies have 3 spots to Sochi. Can you imagine her not making top 3 at US Nats?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
No need to panic for Gracie, though. I mean the US ladies have 3 spots to Sochi. Can you imagine her not making top 3 at US Nats?

It's not that. Of course she will ("of course"), but I'd like for her to do it on her own terms. If what she's doing now is "on her own terms," (i.e. gaining new experience whether it suits her in the end or not) then fine. I'm willing to accept that the future(?) coaching change and all that goes with it/prior to it is in preparation of the "true" peak of her career.

Oh dear, look at me talking like I know her. I don't. And she certainly does not need my approval.

R.D.

Record Breaker

It actually *COULD* happen if she has a meltdown. Don't laugh off such a scenario...McLaughlin/Brubaker from 2010 anyone? And Gold has shown that she can and will fold if the spotlight is bright enough...

R.D.

Record Breaker
To those people who think Ashley is in a better position than Gracie, just remember earlier in the summer when Ashley was going through her own coaching/choreographer change situation, breaking down backstage at Stars On Ice, etc. How dare Mr. Nicks retire from traveling right before the Olympics.. how could she leave Phillip Mills.. there's no way Artunian can fix her 3-3 technique in time.. etc etc etc.

I find it kind of funny because we haven't even seen Wagner skate yet. How can we POSSIBLY know she is in a better position...or even what position she's at in the first place if we haven't seen her? :think:

Gold may not be off to a roaring start (in fact, I don't even consider the season officially started until the GP) but IMO it's hardly "panic time". Still, a coach change this close to season's start seems a bit sudden and ill-timed...the bigger concern is whether she can make this adjustment in such a short period of time before things get serious.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
People keep saying it's early. The Grand Prix starts next month! Is it really that early?

I guess what I meant is early in the season. Yes, GP Series is next month, but Gracie's first event is Skate Canada, which is in the last weekend in October, or about six weeks away. That's plenty of time to make adjustments,etc.

But she doesn't need to peak at SLC or even at the GP series. Yes, there's prestige in making the GPF. But using Ashley Wagner circa 2010 as an example, none of that matters if you don't do well at Nationals and don't make the Olympics. Therefore if she has growing pains because of whatever coaching change, better she does it now-ish than in January/February.

Honestly all Gracie needs to do is peak at Nationals, make the Olympics and do well there. Anything else is icing.

By the way: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/13/60541952

More importantly, Gold parted ways with longtime coach Alex Ouriashev immediately after U.S. Figure Skating's Champs Camp in late August. She has trained in Canton, Mich., with Marina Zoueva and Oleg Epstein for much of the last three weeks. (The Gold family is not yet ready to announce a decision on a new coach.)
"Skating the whole day with ice dancers is different," Gold said. "They will say, 'Oh, that was a good run-through but I don't think you got your steps' level.' Because I think, 'I landed all my jumps.' They'll say, 'But what about that transition?' You get different feedback. I'm taking great strides, I think, trying to up that second mark."

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Curious, perhaps after all there was something in the statement a poster made about USFS telling her something/giving her advice that caused her to immediately run away from her coach...too bad, this should have been done earlier if at all. Judging from her SP she needs the help, too.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
seems there is no closure yet between Gracie and her former coach
Alex O. was really disappointed with Gracie's decision on Phil Hersh tweets

Krislite

Medalist
I guess what I meant is early in the season. Yes, GP Series is next month, but Gracie's first event is Skate Canada, which is in the last weekend in October, or about six weeks away. That's plenty of time to make adjustments,etc.

But she doesn't need to peak at SLC or even at the GP series. Yes, there's prestige in making the GPF. But using Ashley Wagner circa 2010 as an example, none of that matters if you don't do well at Nationals and don't make the Olympics. Therefore if she has growing pains because of whatever coaching change, better she does it now-ish than in January/February.

Honestly all Gracie needs to do is peak at Nationals, make the Olympics and do well there. Anything else is icing.

By the way: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/13/60541952

^And do well at Worlds. There will be many retirements after Sochi, so this season's Worlds will be the best chance the US ladies will have at finally making the podium.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There will be many retirements after Sochi, so this season's Worlds will be the best chance the US ladies will have at finally making the podium.

I think the 2014 World Championships will be more competitive than the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Championships. The US ladies already could have won medals at all of those if they had skated better. Although, even skating non-perfectly, I believe Czisny and Wagner deserved medals in 2011 and 2012. Miki Ando and Alena Leonova are not people I would have on those podiums. Either way, the point is that the US ladies simply need to skate better. They aren't suddenly going to be on the podium at 2014 Worlds if they don't perform their best or very close to it.

The competitive field has only become stronger, with skaters around the whole World learning how to train better and better for CoP. I guarantee you there will be 2 Russian skaters and 2 Japanese skaters who are podium threats at 2014 Worlds. That right there is already two people (out of 4) who need to be beaten in order to reach the podium. Then add in other possible threats like Kiira Korpi, Kaetlyn Osmond, and Li Zijun...plenty of competition. The current "big 3" of Yu-Na/Asada/Kostner retiring after Sochi won't suddenly make 2014 Worlds easy for the American ladies. Just getting to top 10 in the World is a pretty big accomplishment now; getting on the podium is a huge fight.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Was anybody else puzzled by how weak the performances were by the ladies at SLC?

Yes, yes. I "know" that it is still early in the season etc. But, this event for the American ladies was essentially a hybrid between a bigger summer club event (e.g., Liberty) and a Senior B. Pressure -sure, of course, there ALWAYS is - season starter on the ISU circuit etc.). But still. After some sloppy performance and openings which then became apparent for some who skated in later groups, nobody really stepped up and put it out there.

A tad disappointing not to see just some stronger skates overall. Weird, wonky stuff left and right. (I know it's 'good to get those out of the way' and 'work out the kinks' etc.

I was surprised and disappointed nonetheless.

If I had to peg one thing which had me doing a "huh?" it was that the double axel was almost every US ladies' biggest nemesis. Wonder if some of the novice/junior ladies in the stands were thinking "let me show them how to do one!"

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't particularly surprised by the ladies' performances at SLC because the event was at altitude. Many of the skaters had problems or didn't skate their best.

The combination of early-season and altitude had a negative effect on performance. Max Aaron trains at altitude, but even he wasn't exactly in form.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
I think Ashley really don´t need a 3-3.. she need be clean and consistent.. and credit level 4 all spins and footwork in FS.. maybe 2A-3T, but the most important is clean!

Krislite

Medalist
I think Ashley really don´t need a 3-3.. she need be clean and consistent.. and credit level 4 all spins and footwork in FS.. maybe 2A-3T, but the most important is clean!

Maybe not for Nationals, but for the Olympics and Worlds, she'll need it if she has any ambitions for the podium.

minze

Medalist
I used to say Gracie needs to work on her artistry. I changed my mind, she needs to get consistency on her powerful jumps. By being consistent her PCS will increase. I think people saw Gracie's jump and they immediately thought of another top skater with speed and powerful jumps, but we failed to realize that top skater was the whole package at age 16: technique, speed and artistry. I am not saying Gracie does not have time develop artistically, but I think her strengths are her athleticism and she will not be as musical as the top skaters from this quad.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the whole coach thing is not a good thing for any skater no matter how experienced they are. Ashley admitted to almost having a breakdown when she was doing shows this summer after Phillips Mills quit and Mr. Nicks decided he wouldn't travel with Ashley to competitions anymore and she's been in the sport much longer.

Robeye

Final Flight
I wasn't particularly surprised by the ladies' performances at SLC because the event was at altitude. Many of the skaters had problems or didn't skate their best.

The combination of early-season and altitude had a negative effect on performance. Max Aaron trains at altitude, but even he wasn't exactly in form.
In what way does the altitude of SLC affect the performances? Stamina? I don't know the facts so I'm just asking. Was it considered a significant factor for the figure skating competition when the Olympics were held there?

I would have thought that if it has such a (potentially) negative effect, that skaters (particularly those wishing to make a strong early impression) would avoid the events at such sites like the plague.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just as I was starting to like Gracie....of course I don't know the whole story, but the sudden coaching change and lack of adequate explanation to Alex O. about why she was leaving him smells of Gracie having a bratty/diva attitude. I know she has a good work ethic, and it seemed like she and Alex were very close, so idk, it's just all so weird. Also, she is VERY close to her twin sister Carly, who I assume is not moving out to California with her, so that's yet another change to add to the boatload of adjustments she'll be making between now and Nationals. Gracie is hugely talented and a hard worker so that will help, but I just don't feel good about this whole situation, seems very abrupt and messy.

Salt Lake City is not so bad -- 4300 hundred feet. I think that the problem gets serious at about 5000 feet (mile high). The elevation of Colorado Springs is 6000 feet above sea level. When Four Continents was held there a couple of years ago some of the skaters were all but passing out.

Sochi = 300 feet above sea level. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just as I was starting to like Gracie....of course I don't know the whole story, but the sudden coaching change and lack of adequate explanation to Alex O. about why she was leaving him smells of Gracie having a bratty/diva attitude. I know she has a good work ethic, and it seemed like she and Alex were very close, so idk, it's just all so weird. Also, she is VERY close to her twin sister Carly, who I assume is not moving out to California with her, so that's yet another change to add to the boatload of adjustments she'll be making between now and Nationals. Gracie is hugely talented and a hard worker so that will help, but I just don't feel good about this whole situation, seems very abrupt and messy.

I'd like to hear Gracie's side of this (and I hope we get it) before throwing accusations of a diva-attitude. A lot things may have been in play that we don't know about well before this week. The fact is she left him after Champs Camp, which was nearly a month ago AND she did so without having a new coach secured (typically you announce the new coach at the same time as you announced that you left the old one) tells me there have been some issues over the summer that came to the surface.

Abrupt coaching changes do happen and they do not always result in a meltdown with the skater.