State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't think it would increase her BV as there's a Zayak rule.

Why not? She could jump a 3Lz-3T and a 3F-3T, and still have room for a solo 3Lz and 3F (ETA: counting mistake). Or she could stick with the 3Lz-3T and add a 3Lo-3Lo, provided that she becomes more consistent/comfortable with the 3Lo.

It wouldn't hurt her to train a 3A, if she's up to the challenge. But I agree that it's not an ideal jump to break out in an Olympic program.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Why not? She could jump a 3Lz-3T and a 3F-3T, and still have room for a solo 3Lz and 3F. Or she could stick with the 3Lz-3T and add a 3Lo-3Lo, provided that she becomes more consistent with the 3Lo.

Nope, because of the Zayak rule, that would mean 2 lutzes, 2 flips, and 2 toes, and you can only repeat 2 triples

ForeverFish

Medalist
Nope, because of the Zayak rule, that would mean 2 lutzes, 2 flips, and 2 toes, and you can only repeat 2 triples

Mea culpa about the 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T, then. Best to try a 3Lz-3T and 3Lo-3Lo, if she's to maximize her BV, which would still allow her a solo 3Lz and a 3F in combination with a double.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Mea culpa about the 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T, then. Best to try a 3Lz-3T and 3Lo-3Lo, if she's to maximize her BV, which would still allow her a solo 3Lz and a 3F in combination with a double.
That would be a crazily difficult program! But I think that she wouldn't be able to land a 3Lo+3Lo, her solo 3Lo is really inconsistant and she usually doesn't do loop combos like Mao's or Miki's, a 3Lo+3T would be probable, but then something like 3F+3t would be more secure...

ForeverFish

Medalist
That would be a crazily difficult program! But I think that she wouldn't be able to land a 3Lo+3Lo, her solo 3Lo is really inconsistant and she usually doesn't do loop combos like Mao's or Miki's, a 3Lo+3T would be probable, but then something like 3F+3t would be more secure...

I did say that the 3Lo-3Lo would only be feasible if she got her 3Lo more consistent. I'd be quite surprised to see her content to stick with a jump layout similar to this season's, especially since she enjoys challenging herself.

amc987

On the Ice
I don't think we'll see major technical changes from Gracie this year. I bet she'll do the 3Z-3T and 2A-3T because those seem to be her most consistent combinations. If she wants to up the ante, I'm guessing she'll reintroduce the 3F-1Lo-3S combo to take the place of her 3F-2T-2Lo .

Honestly, her jumping is so excellent already that she doesn't need to do much. IMO, her time would be better spent developing her musicality, incorporating more complex choreography, and continuing to improve her spins and footwork. At this point, her ability to move up and challenge for the podium is going to depend much more on becoming a better overall skater than on increasing her already impressive technical content.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Honestly, her jumping is so excellent already that she doesn't need to do much. IMO, her time would be better spent developing her musicality, incorporating more complex choreography, and continuing to improve her spins and footwork. At this point, her ability to move up and challenge for the podium is going to depend much more on becoming a better overall skater than on increasing her already impressive technical content.
Exactly! :yes:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think we'll see major technical changes from Gracie this year. I bet she'll do the 3Z-3T and 2A-3T because those seem to be her most consistent combinations. If she wants to up the ante, I'm guessing she'll reintroduce the 3F-1Lo-3S combo to take the place of her 3F-2T-2Lo .

First she needs to skate clean. Second, she needs to work on artistry or whatever it's called under COP. Gracie is almost there. If she can do what she did at Nationals in her LP, she can make the World/Olympic podium.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
First she needs to skate clean. Second, she needs to work on artistry or whatever it's called under COP. Gracie is almost there. If she can do what she did at Nationals in her LP, she can make the World/Olympic podium.

I agree. There are so many ways for her to gain additional points aside from adding the 3A. She isn't going to medal in Sochi unless a few top skaters have a meltdown, with or without a 3A. Only by getting the 4th or 5th best PCS internationally can she finish ahead or Caro or Mao if they skate well, so that should be her focus.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see Gracie getting on the podium in Sochi but if she can finish in the top 5 that would be a big deal for her. If some of the top skaters have a meltdown she can certainly move up. She just needs to improve her PCS to become a threat because technically she can beat most anyone but a clean Yuna.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't see Gracie getting on the podium in Sochi but if she can finish in the top 5 that would be a big deal for her. If some of the top skaters have a meltdown she can certainly move up. She just needs to improve her PCS to become a threat because technically she can beat most anyone but a clean Yuna.

Gracie's PCS in the FS has improved more than three points this season (58.10 at COR to 61.77 at WTT). If the trend continues and her progress doesn't stagnate, she should be able to break 65+ PCS internationally by the end of the Olympic season, which will bring her within range of where she needs to be.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie needs to skate a clean SP. That's something that has eluded her this season.

npavel

On the Ice

If she does 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T and 3Lo-3Lo, she already has 2 repeated jumps, the 3T and 3L so no, she can nigher do a solo 3Lz nor a 3F as the already are there

vera01

Final Flight
I don't think Gracie should try to go for harder layout for the Olympic season anyway-consistency first, difficulty next. She's not Yuna or Mao.

Icey

Record Breaker
Is her fraternal twin sister Carly still competing? I predict Gracie will be a dark horse bronze medalist at Sochi .

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don't think Gracie should try to go for harder layout for the Olympic season anyway-consistency first, difficulty next. She's not Yuna or Mao.

Agreed. As great as her jumps are her consistency is pretty bad. Her 3-3s are huge but she's only landed them cleanly a handful of times this season. She's had several falls and step outs and URs...she needs to work on getting her current layout consistent before she goes for more content.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I guess nobody has written it yet, I think it's worth mentioning.
Alissa Czisny wrote a short message on facebook.
"Been practicing and preparing nonstop for the past few years in preparation for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Can't wait to prove the doubters wrong and represent my country. See you guys in Sochi!!"
Seems she's self-confident and quite sure that she can make the Olympic team. What do you think about it?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie has had at most one UR, in the SP where she had a wild landing on the 3/3 or a jump in the FS she fell. In her last two competitions---Worlds and WTT, her FS had no URs or falls, and she scored 125 or higher in both.

Gracie has shown improvement in each competition this season. Her struggles have had a lot more to do with the move up from juniors and gaining confidence in herself than with technical issues.

Selene

On the Ice
Agreed. As great as her jumps are her consistency is pretty bad. Her 3-3s are huge but she's only landed them cleanly a handful of times this season. She's had several falls and step outs and URs...she needs to work on getting her current layout consistent before she goes for more content.

I agree. Gracie's consistency in practice seems to be pretty good, but she hasn't shown that she can bring that kind of jump consistency to competition yet. Her nerves got the better of her most of last season. I said early in the season that the jump layout she was attempting in her long program wasn't smart, so I wasn't surprised when her team changed the layout towards the end of the season. I think removing the 2A-3T in favor of attempting the 3F-1Lo-3S again would be a mistake. The 2A-3T is very consistent and gets good GOE, whereas the 3F-1Lo-3S was very inconsistent and received neutral (at best) GOE because of the lip. But if she's going to attempt 3Lz-3T in the short program, she should consider attempting the 3S or 3Lo as her solo jump out of steps. Those aren't the best jumps for her, but I don't understand her team's reasoning behind attempting a solo jump (flip) that will receive automatic negative GOE because of the wrong edge takeoff. Considering her lip, the only other layout she could consider to maximize her points is 3T-3T and 3Lz as the solo jump.

I guess nobody has written it yet, I think it's worth mentioning.
Alissa Czisny wrote a short message on facebook.
"Been practicing and preparing nonstop for the past few years in preparation for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Can't wait to prove the doubters wrong and represent my country. See you guys in Sochi!!"
Seems she's self-confident and quite sure that she can make the Olympic team. What do you think about it?

I'm glad she's confident, but I don't see her making the Olympic team. She was only competitive in a watered-down post-Olympic field. The ladies field is much stronger now than it was in her best season ('10-'11) and she can't compete technically anymore. Her jumps are of very poor quality, get little height and flow out, and almost always look underrotated to me.