Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Gold tries so hard to be all things to people - she wants to PLEASE everyone, and so she is out to get mime lessons to improve her projection. She maybe wasn't eloquent in her description of why/what she's trying to get out of this, but seriously, this is a good thing for her.

Custom Title
    Hopefully as she gets older Gracie will take more control over her skating and career.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That's why I said great actors don't fake emotion. I doubt if every actor is capable of pulling out every emotion but the good ones are, and I seriously doubt a respectable acting coach would encourage an actor to fake emotion. Help them get to a place where they could convey it convincingly, yes...but flat out fake it? I'd want my money back...
    Oh, gosh, I don't agree with that at all. That's why they call it "acting." Superman can't really fly, he just acts like he can.
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-13-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Oh, gosh, I don't agree with that at all. That's why they call it "acting." Superman can't really fly, he just acts like he can.
    No, but Gracie can choose her roles.

skating philosopher
    So I actually watched the interview that the NBC blogger linked to and realize that he a bunch of stuff out of from her direct quote:

"Because it's easy to sit there... well it's not easy, but... in your program and just (flashes perma smile)."
    Then she says the quote "...The physical acting is to sort of have that emotion where it seems genuine.”

So basically she's totally acknowledging that the perma-big-smile is a problem, people! What I got out of that is that she wants to be able to learn to express a wide-range of emotions besides the perma-smile.

I really think we're being hard on Gracie based on a 15-second soundbite. She wasn't saying anything about "faking emotions" or even acting. Just that she wants to be able to express a greater range of emotions. Could she had said that better? Absolutely. But I think we're putting a lot more in that quote then actually is there.

Down With It
    It's not what she said, but the idea behind what she is doing. Frankly, even though I don't like it, based on what her competitors are doing it certainly can't hurt. If it helps her milk more points from the judges, you know... whatever, go for it.

I mean, look at what Wagner did. Complete departure from her real strength and now the judges are pouring it on her like syrup. It obviously gets results if executed correctly...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    It's not what she said, but the idea behind what she is doing. Frankly, even though I don't like it, based on what her competitors are doing it certainly can't hurt. If it helps her milk more points from the judges, you know... whatever, go for it.

I mean, look at what Wagner did. Complete departure from her real strength and now the judges are pouring it on her like syrup. It obviously gets results if executed correctly...
    And the idea being? Doing mime to play Sleeping Beauty?

I guess I see this mime as being more program-neutral. If this helps her learn how to express herself better period, then more power to her.

FWIW, I found this 1974 newspaper article about how people use mime for emotionally-disturbed children:

According to (psycho-educator) Pierre Girouard, one of the great things about mime is that it need not involve external trappings. Its main demands are body control and concentration on emotions. Children reluctant to express personal emotions or lacking knowledge of a given word can call on past experiences.
    Obviously Gracie is not an emotionally disturbed child, but I can see how better body control and concentration on emotions would help her...

Custom Title
    Just watched the day one recap posted on TSL. Dave and Jenny referred to Carroll working with Gracie on numerous occasions. At first, I thought they were joking or stating their wishes, BUT one time they said "when Gracie goes to Frank next week". Don't know if they are right, but in my mind they have staked a bit of their credibility on her alleged coaching change.

Custom Title
    Did anyone see Gracie tonight in the Intl Challenge competition (streaming live on Ice Network)? She was NOT impressive. Fell on the double axel and had a wonky landing on the triple lutz. I also thought the program was a bit manic. Looks like Marina Zoueva is choreographing for her. Worried abt Gracie's season given this very shaky start.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Did anyone see Gracie tonight in the Intl Challenge competition (streaming live on Ice Network)? She was NOT impressive. Fell on the double axel and had a wonky landing on the triple lutz. I also thought the program was a bit manic. Looks like Marina Zoueva is choreographing for her. Worried abt Gracie's season given this very shaky start.
    I saw it. Wasn't impressed with the program at all, but it IS still early, let's remember that.

Just watched the day one recap posted on TSL. Dave and Jenny referred to Carroll working with Gracie on numerous occasions. At first, I thought they were joking or stating their wishes, BUT one time they said "when Gracie goes to Frank next week". Don't know if they are right, but in my mind they have staked a bit of their credibility on her alleged coaching change.
    Given their obvious inside connections, I take it they must know something ...in other words, they must be privy to information that's not available to the fans at large. But I definitely don't appreciate them being so cryptic about it. Either state it outright or don't mention it at all until it's official.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Agnes wasn't very impressive either. It's the start of the season. Gracie needs to work out those nerves also since she skated tentatively.

Down With It
    ^ I only caught the end of AZ's routine. Whenever it's available I'd like to go back and watch the whole thing...

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    And the idea being? Doing mime to play Sleeping Beauty?

I guess I see this mime as being more program-neutral. If this helps her learn how to express herself better period, then more power to her.

FWIW, I found this 1974 newspaper article about how people use mime for emotionally-disturbed children:

Obviously Gracie is not an emotionally disturbed child, but I can see how better body control and concentration on emotions would help her...
    If what I saw her do today in SLC is any indication, then I was right after all.

But it is early, we shall see.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Agnes wasn't very impressive either. It's the start of the season. Gracie needs to work out those nerves also since she skated tentatively.
    Oh I missed Agnes! Did she fall? I totally agree that Gracie skated tentatively. I think that may explain the missed timing on jumps and pushing too hard for expression.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    It's so obvious. Her former coach isn't even at the SLC event with her.

Frank desperately needs to repackage her. Her programs are all wrong for her and do not highlight her strengths as a skater. I don't know if they can be salvaged by being reworked, or need to be totally scrapped. And I think she and her mother must be doing her costuming, because her dresses, hair (with the weird braids), and makeup are awful. She needs a new look on the ice.

I feel like USFS saw her horrible programs at Champs Camp and advised her to make a coaching change. Hopefully Frank can repackage her and make her into a competitor. She does not have the mental fortitude to be a winner. She seems to do so well in the practices, but she cannot seem to skate two good programs in an actual competition.

Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast