Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 840 of 1105

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

  1. #826
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    It's so obvious. Her former coach isn't even at the SLC event with her.

    Frank desperately needs to repackage her. Her programs are all wrong for her and do not highlight her strengths as a skater. I don't know if they can be salvaged by being reworked, or need to be totally scrapped. And I think she and her mother must be doing her costuming, because her dresses, hair (with the weird braids), and makeup are awful. She needs a new look on the ice.

    I feel like USFS saw her horrible programs at Champs Camp and advised her to make a coaching change. Hopefully Frank can repackage her and make her into a competitor. She does not have the mental fortitude to be a winner. She seems to do so well in the practices, but she cannot seem to skate two good programs in an actual competition.
    FINALLY from a reputable source: Hersh confirmed the move (secondhand) in a tweet just now.

    ETA: actually, for all we know TSL could be his "source"...but it's seeming more and more like this rumor is true.

  2. #827
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    It's so obvious. Her former coach isn't even at the SLC event with her.

    Frank desperately needs to repackage her. Her programs are all wrong for her and do not highlight her strengths as a skater. I don't know if they can be salvaged by being reworked, or need to be totally scrapped. And I think she and her mother must be doing her costuming, because her dresses, hair (with the weird braids), and makeup are awful. She needs a new look on the ice.

    I feel like USFS saw her horrible programs at Champs Camp and advised her to make a coaching change. Hopefully Frank can repackage her and make her into a competitor. She does not have the mental fortitude to be a winner. She seems to do so well in the practices, but she cannot seem to skate two good programs in an actual competition.
    Woah, there. It's only September!

    And I think it's a bit much to say she lacks "mental fortitude." She wouldn't be where she was last season if she didn't have any.

  3. #828
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    https://twitter.com/olyphil

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 16m
    Have texted Team Gold. Waiting for response
    Expand

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 19m
    Ouriashev just amended his earlier text to say. "She (@GraceEGold) just said she doesn't want to work with me anymore."
    Expand

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 29m
    Asked Ouriashev if @GraceEGold told him why she was leaving. His answer: "She didn't say anything."
    Expand

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 33m
    @GraceEGold ex-coach Alex Ouriashev just texted me: "I am very shocked and disappointed in her decision."
    Expand

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 53m
    Waiting to hear from Frank Carroll, but source tells me they want some in-person sessions before making it @GraceEGold switch official
    Expand

    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 55m
    Source just confirmed that @GraceEGold is going to join Frank Carroll. Odd time for coach switch. Oly year panic?
    Expand

    Well, Philip Hersh just came right out and said it. At least someone is listening to Mrs. P!

  4. #829
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    https://twitter.com/olyphil




    Well, Philip Hersh just came right out and said it. At least someone is listening to Mrs. P!
    Exactly. He didn't need to listen to me, as that is what he would do when he gets information. He goes and gets to the bottom of it. Don't reveal the source, try to get confirmation elsewhere. Also it does help that Hersh is based in Chicago, so he probably knows Alex O pretty well.

  5. #830
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Oh, gosh, I don't agree with that at all. That's why they call it "acting." Superman can't really fly, he just acts like he can.
    What? You mean Superman can't really fly? When did this happen. And next you are going to say Evan Lycacek isn't really coing back? My image of skating is ruined. Okay I am over it. I think Gracie lets watch the acronyms folks is really coming into her own. Give her time and room to grow and make mistakes.

  6. #831
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What? You mean Superman can't really fly? When did this happen. And next you are going to say Evan Lycacek isn't really coing back? My image of skating is ruined. Okay I am over it. I think Gracie lets watch the acronyms folks is really coming into her own. Give her time and room to grow and make mistakes.
    In the original comics, Superman did not have the ability to fly. It was not until Superman cartoons were made that he was given the ability to fly due to the difficulty of constantly animating him to leap.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superma..._and_abilities
    As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, consisting of superhuman strength that allowed him to lift a car over his head, run at amazing speeds and leap one-eighth of a mile, as well as an incredibly dense body structure that could be pierced by nothing less than an exploding artillery shell.[107] Siegel and Shuster compared his strength and leaping abilities to an ant and a grasshopper.[108] When making the Superman cartoons in the early 1940s, the Fleischer Brothers found it difficult to keep animating him leaping and requested to DC to change his ability to flying; this was an especially convenient concept for short films, which would have otherwise had to waste precious running time moving earthbound Clark Kent from place to place.[109]

  7. #832
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    I think Gracie can not beat Ashley ... at worst Ashley skills always got around 60 points for SP .. Grace in SLC obtained 58 with a combo 3-3, 3F< and 2A .. She is still very unstable, quite the opposite with Ashley, which is very consistent .. I think we should watch their backs Alissa, while it has a no highest TES its PCS always been higher than those of Ashley, and if you have a good day there is no doubt it can be # 2 GO ASHLEY AND ALISSA FOR SOCHI!

  8. #833
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    I think Gracie can not beat Ashley ... at worst Ashley skills always got around 60 points for SP .. Grace in SLC obtained 58 with a combo 3-3, 3F< and 2A .. She is still very unstable, quite the opposite with Ashley, which is very consistent .. I think we should watch their backs Alissa, while it has a no highest TES its PCS always been higher than those of Ashley, and if you have a good day there is no doubt it can be # 2 GO ASHLEY AND ALISSA FOR SOCHI!
    I'm surprised the 3T wasn't called UR, too. It was way short of rotation, imo. Her short program was bad all around - bad jumps, screachy music, windmilling arms, tacky costume & atrocious hair style. Frank would be wise to scrap the program and get her a new one. Changing coaches this late in the game smells of desperation & I do think Ashley is in a much stronger position than she is.

  9. #834
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I'm surprised the 3T wasn't called UR, too. It was way short of rotation, imo. Her short program was bad all around - bad jumps, screachy music, windmilling arms, tacky costume & atrocious hair style. Frank would be wise to scrap the program and get her a new one. Changing coaches this late in the game smells of desperation & I do think Ashley is in a much stronger position than she is.
    Why don't you say how you really feel?

    I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the hairstyle. Maybe not with the barrette, but i like the part-braid, part floating ponytail, I thought it framed her face nicely.

    As for changing coaches now, would you rather she do it after the Grand Prix? Before Nationals? Sure, a few extra months in the off-season might have been nice, but I don't think it's too late to make changes. People have made drastic mid-season changes in the past. Gracie is not the first, nor the last, to make a coaching change at this point of the season.

    And just because she's made the decision now doesn't mean that she made some sort of the off-the-cuff sudden decision. There might have been problems during the off-season we're not aware of.

  10. #835
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I'm surprised the 3T wasn't called UR, too. It was way short of rotation, imo. Her short program was bad all around - bad jumps, screachy music, windmilling arms, tacky costume & atrocious hair style. Frank would be wise to scrap the program and get her a new one. Changing coaches this late in the game smells of desperation & I do think Ashley is in a much stronger position than she is.
    ... were there gold skate blades too? I guess I'm okay with those--the gold UGG boots that NBC (presumably) made her wear were so bad. Dear heavens.

  11. #836
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    ... were there gold skate blades too? I guess I'm okay with those--the gold UGG boots that NBC (presumably) made her wear were so bad. Dear heavens.
    No gold blades, LOL.

    I will defend her regarding the mime stuff + her decision to change coaches at this point in the game, however after watching that program again (I only saw the end earlier), I do agree that it's a mess. A bit frantic and too much going on.

    However, it's EARLY. Better to make all and any changes now than later.

  12. #837
    Custom Title LeCygne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    608
    To those people who think Ashley is in a better position than Gracie, just remember earlier in the summer when Ashley was going through her own coaching/choreographer change situation, breaking down backstage at Stars On Ice, etc. How dare Mr. Nicks retire from traveling right before the Olympics.. how could she leave Phillip Mills.. there's no way Artunian can fix her 3-3 technique in time.. etc etc etc.

  13. #838
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,548
    People keep saying it's early. The Grand Prix starts next month! Is it really that early?

  14. #839
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,815
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    ...the gold UGG boots that NBC (presumably) made her wear were so bad. Dear heavens.
    I never noticed the notorious gold UGGs on her feet, but recall that they have been mentioned more than once by naysayers. Maybe Ms. Gold simply likes gold? In a group photo at a dressy event (WTT closing dinner, IIRC?), she was carrying a large-ish shiny gold handbag, presumably of her own free will. She's a teen, her name is Gold, and she seems to like sparkly stuff ... no harm, no foul.

    I do roll my own eyes a bit when some of her fans gush way too much over her "destiny" as the next superstar, etc. But if I keep an open mind, it can be endearing to see her behave like a normal young person -- experimental fashion choices and all. When she recently tweeted about a #ThrowbackThursday group photo from a few years ago, two of her hashtags were #bangs and #whatwasIthinking. She looked absolutely fine, of course, but her poking fun at her former self made me like her more.

  15. #840
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    People keep saying it's early. The Grand Prix starts next month! Is it really that early?
    Yes, because there seems to be no medium between "early" and "panic mode."

    i.e. Reading about the US Classic this weekend makes me feel like our skaters have ample time to progress. However, once the GP series start, I will probably start to get emotional and cry, question some skaters' choices, and then start to panic for them. All because it is the Olympic season.

Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •