Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    I think the whole coach thing is not a good thing for any skater no matter how experienced they are. Ashley admitted to almost having a breakdown when she was doing shows this summer after Phillips Mills quit and Mr. Nicks decided he wouldn't travel with Ashley to competitions anymore and she's been in the sport much longer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I wasn't particularly surprised by the ladies' performances at SLC because the event was at altitude. Many of the skaters had problems or didn't skate their best.

The combination of early-season and altitude had a negative effect on performance. Max Aaron trains at altitude, but even he wasn't exactly in form.
    In what way does the altitude of SLC affect the performances? Stamina? I don't know the facts so I'm just asking. Was it considered a significant factor for the figure skating competition when the Olympics were held there?

I would have thought that if it has such a (potentially) negative effect, that skaters (particularly those wishing to make a strong early impression) would avoid the events at such sites like the plague.

Custom Title
    Just as I was starting to like Gracie....of course I don't know the whole story, but the sudden coaching change and lack of adequate explanation to Alex O. about why she was leaving him smells of Gracie having a bratty/diva attitude. I know she has a good work ethic, and it seemed like she and Alex were very close, so idk, it's just all so weird. Also, she is VERY close to her twin sister Carly, who I assume is not moving out to California with her, so that's yet another change to add to the boatload of adjustments she'll be making between now and Nationals. Gracie is hugely talented and a hard worker so that will help, but I just don't feel good about this whole situation, seems very abrupt and messy.

Salt Lake City is not so bad -- 4300 hundred feet. I think that the problem gets serious at about 5000 feet (mile high). The elevation of Colorado Springs is 6000 feet above sea level. When Four Continents was held there a couple of years ago some of the skaters were all but passing out.

Sochi = 300 feet above sea level.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Just as I was starting to like Gracie....of course I don't know the whole story, but the sudden coaching change and lack of adequate explanation to Alex O. about why she was leaving him smells of Gracie having a bratty/diva attitude. I know she has a good work ethic, and it seemed like she and Alex were very close, so idk, it's just all so weird. Also, she is VERY close to her twin sister Carly, who I assume is not moving out to California with her, so that's yet another change to add to the boatload of adjustments she'll be making between now and Nationals. Gracie is hugely talented and a hard worker so that will help, but I just don't feel good about this whole situation, seems very abrupt and messy.
    I'd like to hear Gracie's side of this (and I hope we get it) before throwing accusations of a diva-attitude. A lot things may have been in play that we don't know about well before this week. The fact is she left him after Champs Camp, which was nearly a month ago AND she did so without having a new coach secured (typically you announce the new coach at the same time as you announced that you left the old one) tells me there have been some issues over the summer that came to the surface.

Abrupt coaching changes do happen and they do not always result in a meltdown with the skater.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    There is way more to it, and Alex O isn't saying everything either, so don't pin it all on an 18 year old...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Salt Lake City is not so bad -- 4300 hundred feet. I think that the problem gets serious at about 5000 feet (mile high). The elevation of Colorado Springs is 6000 feet above sea level. When Four Continents was held there a couple of years ago some of the skaters were all but passing out.

KKonas posted (in the competition thread) some interesting quotes from the ladies on their performances/mistakes, and while the explanations were extremely various (including "where am I?" ), no one mentioned being out of breath.

Isn't Sochi known for being a beach resort? Amazing that they can hold a Winter Olympics there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Maybe it's not so bad, but for skaters who don't train at altitude, there is a subtle change in stamina. The skaters don't particularly notice this during the SP, but in the FS it becomes more of a factor. I noticed during the pair FSs that many of the men were struggling with lifts towards the end of the program. There was also a lot of sloppy landings.

I know that I went to Lake Placid several years ago (it's about 2.4K) and just walking around, I didn't notice the change in altitude (I live at sea level). But walking uphill, carrying a heavy bag, boy did I notice! I was huffing and puffing, when normally I wouldn't be even a bit out of breath doing the same thing back home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    People keep saying it's early. The Grand Prix starts next month! Is it really that early?
    No, it most certainly is not. Excusing her poor performance on that basis is just wishful thinking. And just how much can Frank really do in such a short time? Her strong suit, the jumps, seem in danger of failing her. I think she is entering a difficult period.

Really folks? She's in the middle of some major changes, had issues with her skate, and you all just want to right her off...let her settle back down after the last couple weeks and see what happens. Sheesh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Really folks? She's in the middle of some major changes, had issues with her skate, and you all just want to right her off...let her settle back down after the last couple weeks and see what happens. Sheesh.
    Her jumps looked awful. Poor quality and underrotated. Courtney and Agnes' jumps looked much better, even with their jump failures. The program is a disaster, too. I think Frank will have to get her a new SP, because the screechy, ear-piercing music doesn't suit her. Her arm windmilling has gotten much worse. Just a bad performance all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Her jumps looked awful. Poor quality and underrotated. Courtney and Agnes' jumps looked much better, even with their jump failures. The program is a disaster, too. I think Frank will have to get her a new SP, because the screechy, ear-piercing music doesn't suit her. Her arm windmilling has gotten much worse. Just a bad performance all around.
    Again, Gracie is not the first person to make drastic changes as the season goes on. So I'm not sure why there is this doom and gloom happening. Again the goal is to peak later. Repeat: SHE DOES NOT NEED TO PEAK NOW.

Custom Title
    Oh my, I like Gracie, but that SP has to go ASAP!

Custom Title
    Wait, Gracie won an early season short program, and we're all panicking?

(Room for improvement aside, don't you think that's a bit extreme?)

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    Wait, Gracie won an early season short program, and we're all panicking?

(Room for improvement aside, don't you think that's a bit extreme?)
    LOL. Funny how nobody remembered that...

Everyone is "beneath" her so therefore it doesn't count.

Though seriously, I guess the thing is that since everyone did poorly, it doesn't count for much, I suppose.

Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast