Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Oh my, I like Gracie, but that SP has to go ASAP!
    Could not agree more. I really like her and was excited to see her skate, but was aghast by the program. The jumps were terribly done, the choreography was manic, and she looked herky-jerky, stiff, and not at all fluid or graceful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    LOL. Funny how nobody remembered that...

Everyone is "beneath" her so therefore it doesn't count.

Though seriously, I guess the thing is that since everyone did poorly, it doesn't count for much, I suppose.
    Really, I hadn't looked at results or skates from the competition when I looked at this thread today, and I immediately went to look, because the way everyone was carrying on, you'd think she had completely imploded and finished middle-of-the-middling-field or worse. When I found out that the competition overall was weak, I was not surprised. When I found out Gracie was in first, despite all I'd read, I was surprised.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Anyone else wondering what involvement, if any, Zoueva had in orchestrating Gold's departure from Alex O?
    MZ seems to relish the role of powermonger, if last year's Team Canton showdown is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Anyone else wondering what involvement, if any, Zoueva had in orchestrating Gold's departure from Alex O?
    MZ seems to relish the role of powermonger, if last year's Team Canton showdown is any indication.
    There seems to be some chatter about that, but I really doubt it. I truly believe there were issues that came to a head.

Custom Title
    I'm glad she made the coaching change. She isn't going to make any substantial technical improvements this season since her difficulty is already world class. Frank, I'm sure, will help her make huge strides in artistry but we may not see the results this season.

I have to say, I like Samantha's new Carmen LP. It suits her. And a pretty clean program other than a bobble in the 3L-2A sequence...And 109.39! Pretty decent score! It's a PB, I think. (Though obviously not a ISU PB).

Custom Title
    The USFSA snubbed Courtney Hicks for Grand Prix spots, but she just easily beat their pets Gracie and Agnes at the SLC competition. She had great jumps and blew away the rest of the field technically!

Agnes’ program is bad. She doesn’t have the fire to pull off the tango, and she had her usual long program jump-wise. I don’t see the improvement from her.

Gracie was so bad. She has no grace and should not be performing to ballet music. Or wearing pink; she just looks ridiculous. Frank needs to get her new programs, because these bland Marina creations are total failures. Her jump consistency in competition continues to be terrible as well. She needs to drop some of her transitions, like the back spiral into the lutz, because she has nothing to offer as a skater if she puts out horrid technical performances like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    The USFSA snubbed Courtney Hicks for Grand Prix spots, but she just easily beat their pets Gracie and Agnes at the SLC competition. She had great jumps and blew away the rest of the field technically!

Agnes’ program is bad. She doesn’t have the fire to pull off the tango, and she had her usual long program jump-wise. I don’t see the improvement from her.

Gracie looks ridiculous wearing pink & performing to ballet music. Marina gave her terrible, bland programs for this season. They are not any better than the Scott Brown disasters of last season. She needs to quit trying to be “artistic” and graceful. It doesn’t work for her. She’s just so poorly packaged, from costuming to programs, and her jump consistency in competition is terrible. She needs to drop some of those transitions, like the back spiral into the lutz, because she has absolutely nothing to offer as a skater if she can’t land her jumps in a competition.
    The judges don't agree with you. Here's what I posted in the other thread: Gracie's GOE for the elements she did complete well.

+1.63 on 3Z-3T
    +1.17 on a Level 4 flying Combo spin
    +1.00 on her Level 3 step sequence
    +1.00 on her level 3 combo spin
    +1.40 on her spiral sequence
    +1.17 on her level 4 layback.
    ===
    7.37 GOE on those elements; +8.3 GOE overall. That's the highest in this competition.

The last I saw, spins + steps are not jumps.

Amelie had two elements (3Lo and spiral) with +1.40 on both; Courtney got a +1.17 on 3Z; Samantha got a +1.40 on her spiral.

So yeah, a bad skate for Gracie, but again, wouldn't say she doesn't have "nothing to offer" without the jumps.

Gracie does have a habit of being inconsistent, so this doesn't necessarily spell doom. Who knows which side of her will show up in Skate Canada? But that competition is heavily stacked.

Custom Title
    Gracie in the middle of a coaching change which is always stressful but even more so since it happened right at the start of the season. Last year she started slow too but look how she finished. Let her get settled in with her new coach and lets see how she does. She does need to conquer her nerves though or she will become another Alissa or Mirai another skater with great talent who's a terrible competitor.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    Wait, Gracie won an early season short program, and we're all panicking?

(Room for improvement aside, don't you think that's a bit extreme?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Again, Gracie is not the first person to make drastic changes as the season goes on. So I'm not sure why there is this doom and gloom happening. Again the goal is to peak later. Repeat: SHE DOES NOT NEED TO PEAK NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Really folks? She's in the middle of some major changes, had issues with her skate, and you all just want to [write] her off...let her settle back down after the last couple weeks and see what happens. Sheesh.
    So yeah, all this...

This is how it always goes in early-season comps, especially now that fans can see them. Did people really expect to see great skating in September?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    @courtneynhicks has been sending a zillion individual reply tweets to those who have congratulated her. A gracious winner.

@agneszawadzki
    Well...back to the drawing board. Definitely far from what I can do. It all goes up from here
    4:28 PM - 14 Sep 13
    https://twitter.com/agneszawadzki/st...23897657483265

Gracie Gold Verified account
    ‏@GraceEGold
    Although it wasn't my best, I was proud of my fight. It will only go up from here. Thanks to all of my supports and haters  #SLC2013
    5:16 PM - 14 Sep 13
    https://twitter.com/GraceEGold/statu...35928183861248

Custom Title
    The way I see it, yeah, Gracie and Agnes skated pretty bad, but guess what, they can get away with it because they both had 2 GPs secured right off the bat and have over a month to prepare for those competitions. Samantha and Courtney had NO GP events starting out, Sam suddenly has 2 but she had to earn them (or at least the first spot at SA) by skating well at summer competitions, Courtney similarly needed to be skating well early because she was in the running for the host pick at SA as well and there was talk of her competing on the JGP again which starts in August instead of October. Sam and Courtney are in great form now because they needed to get into top competition shape early this season. Gracie and Agnes had nothing on the line, their GP events are secured and they both have 2, they got the TES minimums last season, and for them this competition is not that big of a deal. So they probably just weren't taking their training and run-throughs super seriously just yet, and now they saw what the result is and realize it's crunch time. This doesn't mean that they will show up on the GP and skate perfect programs, but I fully expect their performances and jumping displays to be much improved by the GP, because well, they both really want to make that Olympic team and know that in a country like the US, they are going to have to skate well at Nationals (and at least decently on the GP to strengthen rather than weaken a case for an Olympic spot if Nationals results are unexpected) to make that happen.

So is it early? Yes. At the same time, should they be concerned about how they skated here and how they need to step it up from here on in? Yes, and looking at their tweets, they know that and I bet they'll start training those programs really hard from here on in. I get that maybe it's a little hard for skaters like Courtney and Sam who are on the bubble with a chance to make the Olympic team, needing to skate well during the summer while also hoping to peak at Nationals in order to have a shot at the team, and I wouldn't blame them if they were irritated that Gracie and Agnes can kind of blow off this competition and not skate well without having to really worry about it or affect them, but that's how the sport works, Gracie and Agnes skated well last season and earned higher ISU SB scores which got them the 2 GPs in the first place.

Custom Title
    She shouts out to her haters? What a passive aggressive tweet.
    Anyway, yay, Courtney.

Custom Title
    How can Agnes get away with anything? What did she do that deserve 2 spots?
    A bronze at CoR is all you need for 2 GP assignments year after year?

Page 59 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast