Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    The last thing Gracie needs to do in an Olympic year is try landing a 3axel. We've seen how at times it's played havoc with Mao's skating and she's been doing them for about 8 years now. Best to just keep working on the jumps she knows she can land and work on the "e" calls she gets on her 3flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The last thing Gracie needs to do in an Olympic year is try landing a 3axel. We've seen how at times it's played havoc with Mao's skating and she's been doing them for about 8 years now. Best to just keep working on the jumps she knows she can land and work on the "e" calls she gets on her 3flip.
    I agree. If this is a serious goal of hers, better to begin working on it the year after and see how it treats her at a less crucial time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Gold had been doing a triple flip-half-loop-triple salchow combination, but the points weren't worth the risk. She may resume practicing that combo and also might work on a triple axel, the toughest jump for a female skater and a signature jump for Japan's Mao Asada, who won the world bronze.
    [url]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/03/17/gracie-gold-usa-figure-skating-next-big-star/1994885/[/url]

Down With It
    I think it would be a mistake to go for the 3A. I agree, it has delivered mixed results for Asada and may not be worth the risk. 3-3s are her best bet. If she really wants to up the ante, why not try two 3-3s in the FS?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to go for the 3A. I agree, it has delivered mixed results for Asada and may not be worth the risk. 3-3s are her best bet. If she really wants to up the ante, why not try two 3-3s in the FS?
    I don't think it would increase her BV as there's a Zayak rule.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    I don't think it would increase her BV as there's a Zayak rule.
    Why not? She could jump a 3Lz-3T and a 3F-3T, and still have room for a solo 3Lz and 3F (ETA: counting mistake). Or she could stick with the 3Lz-3T and add a 3Lo-3Lo, provided that she becomes more consistent/comfortable with the 3Lo.

It wouldn't hurt her to train a 3A, if she's up to the challenge. But I agree that it's not an ideal jump to break out in an Olympic program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Why not? She could jump a 3Lz-3T and a 3F-3T, and still have room for a solo 3Lz and 3F. Or she could stick with the 3Lz-3T and add a 3Lo-3Lo, provided that she becomes more consistent with the 3Lo.
    Nope, because of the Zayak rule, that would mean 2 lutzes, 2 flips, and 2 toes, and you can only repeat 2 triples

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Nope, because of the Zayak rule, that would mean 2 lutzes, 2 flips, and 2 toes, and you can only repeat 2 triples
    Mea culpa about the 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T, then. Best to try a 3Lz-3T and 3Lo-3Lo, if she's to maximize her BV, which would still allow her a solo 3Lz and a 3F in combination with a double.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Mea culpa about the 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T, then. Best to try a 3Lz-3T and 3Lo-3Lo, if she's to maximize her BV, which would still allow her a solo 3Lz and a 3F in combination with a double.
    That would be a crazily difficult program! But I think that she wouldn't be able to land a 3Lo+3Lo, her solo 3Lo is really inconsistant and she usually doesn't do loop combos like Mao's or Miki's, a 3Lo+3T would be probable, but then something like 3F+3t would be more secure...

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    That would be a crazily difficult program! But I think that she wouldn't be able to land a 3Lo+3Lo, her solo 3Lo is really inconsistant and she usually doesn't do loop combos like Mao's or Miki's, a 3Lo+3T would be probable, but then something like 3F+3t would be more secure...
    I did say that the 3Lo-3Lo would only be feasible if she got her 3Lo more consistent. I'd be quite surprised to see her content to stick with a jump layout similar to this season's, especially since she enjoys challenging herself.

Custom Title
    I don't think we'll see major technical changes from Gracie this year. I bet she'll do the 3Z-3T and 2A-3T because those seem to be her most consistent combinations. If she wants to up the ante, I'm guessing she'll reintroduce the 3F-1Lo-3S combo to take the place of her 3F-2T-2Lo .

Honestly, her jumping is so excellent already that she doesn't need to do much. IMO, her time would be better spent developing her musicality, incorporating more complex choreography, and continuing to improve her spins and footwork. At this point, her ability to move up and challenge for the podium is going to depend much more on becoming a better overall skater than on increasing her already impressive technical content.

Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Honestly, her jumping is so excellent already that she doesn't need to do much. IMO, her time would be better spent developing her musicality, incorporating more complex choreography, and continuing to improve her spins and footwork. At this point, her ability to move up and challenge for the podium is going to depend much more on becoming a better overall skater than on increasing her already impressive technical content.
    Exactly!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I don't think we'll see major technical changes from Gracie this year. I bet she'll do the 3Z-3T and 2A-3T because those seem to be her most consistent combinations. If she wants to up the ante, I'm guessing she'll reintroduce the 3F-1Lo-3S combo to take the place of her 3F-2T-2Lo .

First she needs to skate clean. Second, she needs to work on artistry or whatever it's called under COP. Gracie is almost there. If she can do what she did at Nationals in her LP, she can make the World/Olympic podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    First she needs to skate clean. Second, she needs to work on artistry or whatever it's called under COP. Gracie is almost there. If she can do what she did at Nationals in her LP, she can make the World/Olympic podium.
    I agree. There are so many ways for her to gain additional points aside from adding the 3A. She isn't going to medal in Sochi unless a few top skaters have a meltdown, with or without a 3A. Only by getting the 4th or 5th best PCS internationally can she finish ahead or Caro or Mao if they skate well, so that should be her focus.

Custom Title
    I don't see Gracie getting on the podium in Sochi but if she can finish in the top 5 that would be a big deal for her. If some of the top skaters have a meltdown she can certainly move up. She just needs to improve her PCS to become a threat because technically she can beat most anyone but a clean Yuna.

Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast