Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    ^^^^
    What if Alex HAD been advised to act differently from Gracie and her family but the situation didn't change? You make it sound so simple...
    Well, if it didn't change, then fire him on the first incidence of bad behavior. May not be simple, but is what she is going through now simple. I don't think so And it's all out there for the whole skating world to see, including judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Well, if it didn't change, then fire him on the first incidence of bad behavior. May not be simple, but is what she is going through now simple. I don't think so And it's all out there for the whole skating world to see, including judges.
    Well, we'll see if Frank is beside her at Skate Canada.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    It is within the realm of possibility that the sequence of steps that you propose in fact already took place before Gold's departure from Alex O was announced to the public.
    We have absolutely no way of knowing what already had and had not transpired.

Well, the whole situation wouldn't have been out in the open if a certain catty duo *ahem TSL ahem* tweeted about several weeks ago and then carelessly tweeted all this "Hope Frank Carroll fixes this for Gracie" teaser tweets during SLC Senior B.

I don't think either choice is simple, but what can you do? You figure out which one will have the best short- and long-term prospects. Also "firing" someone isn't as simple as you think either -- chances are there were bills to settle. One only has to look at the Canton situation from last season to see that at play. Igor is a richer man because the Canton folks fired him without going through the proper protocol.

You have to be careful and make sure you have just cause before firing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    It is within the realm of possibility that the sequence of steps that you propose in fact already took place before Gold's departure from Alex O was announced to the public.
    Exactly.

Actually, coaching situation changes are much simpler than "firing" (and in some states, firing is fairly simple since it's "at will employment"). You inform the coach you wish to discontinue working with them as of X date and that you will now be working with coach Y (if you already know) or that you will be searching for a new coach. Then you make sure your bills are settled. Then you are done. Then you have a trial with your preferred new coach(es) then you decide. Period. Very simple in theory. Of course, there's the usual emotion and angst which surrounds these kinds of things, but still, not the same as firing. The new coach(es) will contact the previous coach to ensure the student has informed him/her and that they are current on bills. This is how the PSA by-laws are written.

TSL put everything out in public to no fault of Gracie, Alex, or Frank (as far as we know) before this was a done deal and aired the "process laundry" which was inappropriate in some respects.

Custom Title
    That's is true. I was suggesting what to do if that hadn't been tried and I suspect it was tried. I doubt the Golds are unreasonable or unthinking people. Then, of course, I ask myself what the hell is wrong with Alex that he couldn't reign himself in?

Tripping on the Podium
    I ask myself what the hell is wrong with Alex that he couldn't reign himself in?
    Maybe nothing. It may be little more than a personality conflict that they both just can't move past. It happens, I've been at odds with my own coach at times (both when I was younger and now as an adult) and I'm definitely not a high level skater. It's very unfortunate timing for Gracie, but I don't think it would be fair for her to continue if the relationship just wasn't working any more either.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Everyone is waiting to hear about how the "trial run" is going with Frank and Gracie. Of course, according to TSL, the story is being twisted; they say the Frank/Gracie thing is a done deal even though nothing has been made official yet. Usually I'd take what they say with a grain of salt but considering they knew about the Frank/Gracie thing weeks before it made news, I'm thinking their source is mostly reliable. What has not been decided is whether Gracie is moving to LA or will go through with (the horrible idea of) bouncing back and forth b/w Canton and LA.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Per Hersh today (12:18 p.m. CDT, Sep 23, 2013):
    Gold and Carroll had three working sessions last week, the coach said. ....
    Carroll said he had no idea whether he would become Gold’s full-time coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,591764.column

A few new quotes from Carroll are in the full Hersh article linked above.

Per Hersh today (12:18 p.m. CDT, Sep 23, 2013):
    Gold and Carroll had three working sessions last week, the coach said. ....
    Carroll said he had no idea whether he would become Gold’s full-time coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,591764.column

A few new quotes from Carroll are in the full Hersh article linked above.
    Thank you for the update. We are so curious to know what's going on with her.

Custom Title
    "Gold and Carroll had three working sessions last week, the coach said. One involved explaining his methods and his ideas on jump technique; one had a few jumps; and one focused on her short program music and choreography."

God bless this man for trying to do something with that awful short.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    God bless this man for trying to do something with that awful short.
    If he can turn that SP into something that doesn't make me gnash my teeth, I will have a new found respect for Mr. Carroll...

Custom Title
    I'm very curious about the next step in Gracie'f future. Can hardly wait. But wouldn't it be great if she stuck it to all of us nosey internet people and didn't make an official announcement.

Maybe "focusing on the short program music and choreography" means dumping it.

Custom Title
    If anyone can do it Frank can.

Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast