Page 63 of 74 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Maybe "focusing on the short program music and choreography" means dumping it.
    I was trying not to shamelessly copy and paste today's Hersh article in entirety, but ... will add a little more in response to MM's comment, FWIW:
    Carroll said he had no idea whether he would become Gold’s full-time coach or, if he did, whether he would change some of her music.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    I'm very curious about the next step in Gracie'f future. Can hardly wait. But wouldn't it be great if she stuck it to all of us nosey internet people and didn't make an official announcement.
    At the very least, Gold will have to face the media at Skate Canada International, and the world will see who is sitting with her in the Kiss and Cry there.

Given that she has made public comments about her departure from Alex O, I think she has created the expectation that after her coaching arrangements are finalized, she will share an official update. True that the public cannot force her to do so (although I imagine that USFS could, if it wanted to).

Her public comments were made because Hersh broke the story in Chicago and there were questions from IN at SLC. Her comments were fairly innocuous about the whole thing. We'll see whether she announces anything publicly or whether she just appears with a new coach.

Custom Title
    All of this attention on her situation has probably played well into the hands of the other ladies, who can train and prepare in relative calm and peace. Hopefully Gracie will be able to find focus in her training leading up to her Grand Prixs, because once she shows up at Skate Canada, the glare will be unrelenting.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    All of this attention on her situation has probably played well into the hands of the other ladies, who can train and prepare in relative calm and peace. Hopefully Gracie will be able to find focus in her training leading up to her Grand Prixs, because once she shows up at Skate Canada, the glare will be unrelenting.
    Agreed. If I were Ashley, Christina, Agnes, Mirai or anyone else, I'd be thanking my lucky stars right now. Sometimes it's better to fly under the radar. This is giving them time to get themselves together during this very stressful lead up to the Olympic GP season. Gracie OTOH is basically up in the air just a few weeks before the season begins. She's already under massive stress b/c of who she is (the so-called "Golden Girl") and what is expected of her. Now she has the added stress of finding a new coach, possibly moving to a new city or traveling back and forth all season, possibly reworking programs, bad results hanging over her head and constant speculation/criticism all in addition to being expected to skate well and make the Olympic team. She's under unimaginable pressure at this point...and it's only going to get worse...

This season is really going to show what kind of stuff she's made out of. If Gracie has a good season after all of this, I will truly have gained a new respect for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    I was wondering when we will hear something about the others and stop talking on and on about Gracie. It's like there is no one else but her. I don't think she likes that either. I am waiting for Japan Open to see Ashley. Until now she proved to be wiser than Gracie in everything she did. Gracie did too much talking and her programs were very disappointing. I thought that this year she will challenge Ashley but now I expect to see Ashley challenging her with two good programs she worked a lot for.

Down With It
    Wagner has had a lot of side commitments and appearances for sponsors, etc. And remember that she, too, is in a less than ideal coaching situation...We have no idea what shape she is in so I'm hesitant to make premature judgments at this point. My expectations are not sky high, however.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Wagner has had a lot of side commitments and appearances for sponsors, etc. And remember that she, too, is in a less than ideal coaching situation...We have no idea what shape she is in so I'm hesitant to make premature judgments at this point. My expectations are not sky high, however.
    True. Ashley and Gracie are in a similar situation. The only difference is Ashley was able to change coaches/choreographers without all of the excessive hoopla surrounding the switch. She and John are still working together, just not full-time, and the decision to find a new coach was made on amicable terms. She found a credible choreographer for new programs and has been working on them for weeks now. Most importantly, she made the switch much earlier in the summer, before she'd gotten underway with preparing for this Olympic season. So the thought is Ashley has had a lot more time to adjust and settle into her new situation which is why I'm expecting her to be more prepared than Gracie will be.

With Gracie and Alex, it's obvious they split on less than happy terms. Officially, she still doesn't have a coach...it's looking like the preparations she began for this season (her programs) will have to be changed/tweaked...she may have to move...essentially, she'll have very little time to get settled before the season begins which means she's going to have to adjust "on the fly" so to speak, without ever having enough time to really breathe. I agree with Dave from TSL; missing the GPF might be a good idea for Gracie this year. That would lessen the stress after her 2nd GP b/c she wouldn't have to worry about training for the Final. She could take that extra time to get herself together for nationals which is where she needs to be at her best.

Down With It
    I know it happened a while ago, but I wouldn't say Wagner's coaching situation slipped completely under the radar. There was plenty of coverage after Worlds on what happened with her. People were criticizing her for doing too many shows. What we DIDN'T know (until her TSL interview) was how close she was to a mental breakdown at that point.

The only difference is that Wagner's situation happened earlier in the offseason, so like you pointed out, hopefully she's had time to adjust to her new schedule. She'll need to manage her time between that and her sponsor commitments. As for Gold, I'm sure things will work themselves out in the end - the question is, will this have any measurable effect on her in the short-term?

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I know it happened a while ago, but I wouldn't say Wagner's coaching situation slipped completely under the radar. There was plenty of coverage after Worlds on what happened with her. People were criticizing her for doing too many shows. What we DIDN'T know (until her TSL interview) was how close she was to a mental breakdown at that point.

The only difference is that Wagner's situation happened earlier in the offseason, so like you pointed out, hopefully she's had time to adjust to her new schedule. She'll need to manage her time between that and her sponsor commitments. As for Gold, I'm sure things will work themselves out in the end - the question is, will this have any measurable effect on her in the short-term?
    That's the main issue. It looks like she'll end up with Frank and, in the long run, I think it will be good for her. But how much can they accomplish in the next few weeks? If Frank can calm Gracie's windmill arms, do something with that horrid SP, erase some of the stiffness from her movements, and help her nerve issues, I will have new found respect for that man b/c that will be nothing short of a miracle! Those are all things I expect to see in the next year or two, but if he can do it in a few weeks...wow.

Custom Title
    Ashley did withdraw from THE ICE and that was a wise decision. She admitted that she has a lot to work for reaching her goal this season and I saw several picture with her at training. Also she did a good thing going to Rafael and changing her coreographer (this as we know wasn't on good terms). She had a much clear image of what she wants. I don' t really understand what Gracie wants. She said she is going to Zoueva for increasing the PCS and she really bought that?? I mean she could have said this isn't what I am looking for, it's worse than last year. If she doesn't see that, well that is a problem. Then, I think her coach was good for her, she should have waited one more year before leaving him. This was her first senior season that went pretty good, I don't think that Frank Carol can do miracles for the Olympics,maybe for the future seasons. But then, maybe she has somekind of plan we don't know of. I just hope this will not be a disastrous season after such a promising one.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by IleK View Post
    Ashley did withdraw from THE ICE and that was a wise decision. She admitted that she has a lot to work for reaching her goal this season and I saw several picture with her at training. Also she did a good thing going to Rafael and changing her coreographer (this as we know wasn't on good terms). She had a much clear image of what she wants. I don' t really understand what Gracie wants. She said she is going to Zoueva for increasing the PCS and she really bought that?? I mean she could have said this isn't what I am looking for, it's worse than last year. If she doesn't see that, well that is a problem. Then, I think her coach was good for her, she should have waited one more year before leaving him. This was her first senior season that went pretty good, I don't think that Frank Carol can do miracles for the Olympics,maybe for the future seasons. But then, maybe she has somekind of plan we don't know of. I just hope this will not be a disastrous season after such a promising one.
    Again, we should be careful to play revisionist history on Ashley here, who I have a lot of respect for. Let's remember that it took Ashley several seasons -- this will be her sixth season at the senior level-- to reached her desired goals and that it did not come without struggles along the way, i.e. not making the 2010 Olympic team. It wasn't that long ago (i.e. 2011 Nationals) that people were saying that Ashley was done.

Also the other thing is that sometimes unexpected things happen. Things don't go to plan. The key test for Gracie is now how will she hand when things go off-course. And I hope she'll learn from it.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    ... We'll see whether she announces anything publicly or whether she just appears with a new coach.
    It slipped my mind earlier that another pre-Sochi USOC media summit starts in just a few days (Sep 29) in Park City, Utah. Gold, Lysacek, and other skaters are scheduled to attend.

Given what Gold texted to Hersh last night, perhaps she will have an announcement to make there. Regardless, she no doubt will face questions at the summit about her coaching situation.

Custom Title
    IMO, all these expectations for Gracie are a bit much. She's entering only her second senior season. She isn't going to medal in Sochi, and she may not be ready to medal at Worlds just yet.

Give the girl a break. Even Kwan and Cohen didn't hit full stride until they were into their third senior seasons.

Custom Title
    True, but at the age of 15, Michelle's third season results were the US title and a Gold at Worlds. She had won silver at the 2 previous national competitions. Gracie is already 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    True, but at the age of 15, Michelle's third season results were the US title and a Gold at Worlds. She had won silver at the 2 previous national competitions. Gracie is already 18.
    I think it is not realistic to compare skaters either based on age at certain milestones or on how many seasons they've been a senior, really. People go at much different paces and hit their stride at different times. That said, I believe Michelle was younger than Gacie when she began skating so you have to consider that. You also have to consider that in her first senior season Gracie was 6th at Worlds. In her first senior season Kwan was 8th (actually she had competed at US Senior Nationals the year before that and was 6th so did not make it to worlds (not sure of age eligibility then) so it is possible it wasn't actually until her 4th senior season that she was first). It wasn't until Kwan's fourth go at US Nationals that she was 1st, either- she was 6th as noted above, then 2nd and 2nd (though the first 2nd would have been 3rd had Kerrigan competed).

Now IMO Gracie is no Kwan, but I think it's unfair to say that because she's already 18 she is essentially doomed and far behind Michelle's progress. Assuming health and longevity and desire, she could still have 3 Olympics in her and certainly has 2.

Page 63 of 74 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast