Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1105

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This. I also got the impression (sorry if this is too speculative, it was based on something at the time but it was well over a year ago and I can't recall) that Nagasu's parents were not willing to let her go live with another family even if/though she expressed interest in this. Some people thought at the time, (and perhaps still think) that Nagasu, then 18, was an 'adult' and should tell her mom and dad to shove it and move on down to Frank. To me, this showed a startling lack of awareness or understanding of several things, from why someone might not want to basically be cut off from their parents for any reason (especially at such a relatively young age) to how mature most 18 year olds realistically are now, to the fact that Nagasu is still financially dependent on her parents (the answer to that one was get a part time job, do ANYTHING to achieve the goal but when skating is already a full time job, that is much easier said than done).
    Well put. I've also read reports of Mirai waitressing at her parent's restaurant. They may just not be able to let her go in part because she is needed to help with the family business. It's hard and other skater's families have greater means but sometimes those are just the breaks. I'm sure it hurt Mirai to lose funding too once she dropped in the rankings.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Well put. I've also read reports of Mirai waitressing at her parent's restaurant. They may just not be able to let her go in part because she is needed to help with the family business. It's hard and other skater's families have greater means but sometimes those are just the breaks. I'm sure it hurt Mirai to lose funding too once she dropped in the rankings.
    The issue with their business could very well have been a big factor. It seems they are already struggling to pay for skating. If they had had to add an employee in Mirai's place, it would have been even more money. I was gutted for her placement at Nats in Omaha as that meant a sure drop in USFSA envelope funding.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Before she skated her long program she did a few beautiful triples so I'm not sure if she had boot issues she could even do those. Her problem is that she lacks confidence.
    That is true, but she didn't do any flips at all during the wait before the long program and she had issues with the flip throughout the entire competition.Boot issues don't always hinder all jumps. She fell on the flip in the exhibition as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Or that Gracie is willing to do more to achieve her goals. IIRC, FrankC offered to find a family for Mirai to live with and she/her family refused.
    IF her mother was still fighting thyroid cancer, I can understand why Mirai wouldn't have wanted to be away from her family. Gracies's mother and sister went with her to California. Mirai's mother could not do that because she is needed to run the family business. Gracie had a much easier decision to make than Mirai did. I suspect Mirai made the correct one. OT Until recently I didn't realize that Mirai's parents are not citizens of the United States.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    IF her mother was still fighting thyroid cancer, I can understand why Mirai wouldn't have wanted to be away from her family. Gracies's mother and sister went with her to California. Mirai's mother could not do that because she is needed to run the family business. Gracie had a much easier decision to make than Mirai did. I suspect Mirai made the correct one. OT Until recently I didn't realize that Mirai's parents are not citizens of the United States.
    Gold's family is in a different financial situation relative to the Nagasu's, which very likely, played into these decisions as well. Mirai was making the commute to/from Arcadia to Frank when he was in Arrowhead, to El Segundo, and also out to the Cathedral City rink for a short period of time. LA traffic is down right awful/eats a HUGE chunk of your day away. Mirai's family just did not have the luxury of being able to allow Mirai to drive all over LA (she was not driving for quite some time, as her mother drove her around the area), and her mother and father are tied to their restaurant on a daily basis. You can not walk away from a family owned/run business that easily, especially in a down economy. I understand and respect their decisions as a family. There is SO little money to be made in this sport, and the expenditures of daily training, especially in a town like LA, with the daily commute to an elite coach/expensive lessons/expensive freestyle sessions....a family has to prioritize their financial needs. That isn't to say that Mirai could not dig deeper and rediscover her passion for skating again...if that passion still exists, and train for the third Sochi slot...if she really wanted it. But, what no one has mentioned, is the reflection of 2010...could Mirai place at the same level again or podium....and I suspect that is a thought that has run thru her mind once or twice. Hard to look back at 2010, and say "what if I had trained alittle harder that season" would the results have been different.

Or to look back at 2010 and say, if "I hadn't totally tanked my LP at Worlds, what would have happened"? Basically, one less mistake in the LP would have put her on the podium. Sad, really, to see that level of talent go to waste for various reasons....

Or to look back at 2010 and say, if "I hadn't totally tanked my LP at Worlds, what would have happened"? Basically, one less mistake in the LP would have put her on the podium. Sad, really, to see that level of talent go to waste for various reasons....
    Yes, of current skaters Nagasu is probably the one who makes me both most depressed and happiest. It is depressing because her talent and potential were SO VERY obvious, but thinking back on her career also does make me happy- she had some amazing performances that I will never ever forget and that I frequently return to and watch and smile. Unfortunately, While I'll never say never, it looks increasingly likely that her best days are well behind her.

Custom Title
    And it would have helped secure 3 spots for the US in 2011. And since Mirai was 3rd at 2011 Nationals, she would've gone to Worlds in 2011. Since Rachael was injured in 2011, Mirai (3rd at 2011 4CCs) and Alissa may have been able to secure 3 spots for 2012 Worlds.

And everything would have been different had Mirai just rotated the double axel that she fell on at 2010 Worlds FS.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    And it would have helped secure 3 spots for the US in 2011. And since Mirai was 3rd at 2011 Nationals, she would've gone to Worlds in 2011. Since Rachael was injured in 2011, Mirai (3rd at 2011 4CCs) and Alissa may have been able to secure 3 spots for 2012 Worlds.

And everything would have been different had Mirai just rotated the double axel that she fell on at 2010 Worlds FS.
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the history here. But am having trouble reconciling mskater's comments, esp. in light of what jaylee added:

How can it be that Nagasu "tanked" her FS at 2010 Worlds ... and yet one fewer mistake would have gotten her on the podium?
    And rotating one jump (her double axel) would have made everything different?

mskater's definition of "tank" must be different than mine.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the history here. But am having trouble reconciling mskater's comments, esp. in light of what jaylee added:

How can it be that Nagasu "tanked" her FS at 2010 Worlds ... and yet one fewer mistake would have gotten her on the podium?

Nagasu tanked her FS by making mistakes on both her Lutzes and falling on her 2A. She was first after the SP and could have won had she repeated her Olympic FS (well, gotten at least 2nd). The only reason she was so close to bronze after that FS was because the standard of everyone else but Asada (who had a mistake-free FS with 1 downgrade) and Kim (who landed both her Lutzes and rotated her Salchow despite falling) was so low. Everyone else was either terrible or mediocre. Miki had bombed herself nearly out of contention after the SP. Kostner was not propped up (or you could say lowballed; ironic that such a thing would happen in her home country) and in the end Laura Lepisto won the bronze with a bunch of doubles. Cynthia Phaneuf did something, I don't remember what, but it must have been OK as she finished 5th.

I had to look back at the protocols to refresh my memory. I don't know what's more hilarious (yet depressing at the same time): that Miki was one < sign away from the bronze (downgrading that 2Lo was just mean) or that Lepisto didn't land a single triple after her first 3 jumps (2 Toes and a Lutz).

No she tanked. She had an ENORMOUS lead after the short and a lot of other people tanked too. Her LP was bad, cringe worthy really. I couldn't even watch.

Custom Title

Mirai had a solid SP at 2010 Worlds, and scored very high there with a score of about 70. She did bomb the FS, however, so many ladies were a mess in the FS (or, conversely, someone who did well in the FS, such as Miki Ando, had a poor SP), that yes, had she just rotated and not fallen on the double axel in the FS, that would have been enough to move into 3rd overall. It was a situation unique to that competition. Mirai, in 7th place overall, was only 3 points away from 3rd place finisher Laura Lepisto.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT002RS.HTM

Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._FS_Scores.pdf

You will see she was in 11th in the LP, and only landed three 'clean' triples. 3 jumps were downgraded and one got a wrong edge call when that was taken more seriously. She only attained level 2 on her spiral sequence (dumb, she'd been getting level 4 all season and only didn't attain it because she was freaking out and didn't hold positions long enough). She also noticeably deflated about 1/3 of the way through the program and looked miserable the rest of the time, which did hurt her PCS I don't care what anyone says.

Custard Title

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._FS_Scores.pdf

You will see she was in 11th in the LP, and only landed three 'clean' triples. 3 jumps were downgraded and one got a wrong edge call when that was taken more seriously. She only attained level 2 on her spiral sequence (dumb, she'd been getting level 4 all season and only didn't attain it because she was freaking out and didn't hold positions long enough). She also noticeably deflated about 1/3 of the way through the program and looked miserable the rest of the time, which did hurt her PCS I don't care what anyone says.
    The edge call was only an attention mark. That didn't require final GOE to be negative. The 'e' or wrong edge was a mandatory -3 with the final GOE being negative. That would be for really bad flutzers. The main problem with that Lutz was her landing.

Custom Title
    I knew Mirai was toast when i saw how petrified she looked as she stood by the boards with Frank before she skated. Mirai never skated well being in front and Gracie seems to be no better at the moment.

Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast