11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I went back and found that Franchesca Chiera was at the glacier falls competition over the summer where she beat Mirai in the Lp and finished third behind Courtney and Polina.
12-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm SO happy to see that Sam and Mirai are (respectively) the 3rd and the 4th among the American girls in the final GP ranking (http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2013/gpsladies.htm)!! (and Mirai is in 4th probably only because of her NHK misadventure)
12-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Mirai's poor showing at NHK certainly did affect her final GP ranking. Here's hoping she just gets even better as the Season progresses.
12-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Or maybe Angela should be lucky she got a bye to Nationals because of the JGPF. She skated horribly there and only scored 131.
Originally Posted by Mrs. P
12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
No doubt a bad competition. However, you're forgetting that's 131 at a junior competition, which has one less element. If you add the choreographic sequence, that would got her 2 to 3 extra points, which would have her hovering around Caroline's score. She would have also likely got some extra PCS domestically she didn't get at JGPF.
Originally Posted by Jarrett
Also consider that Angela got 131 by bombing both programs while Caroline did an OK SP. So that still illustrates my point that Caroilne would had a more difficult time making nationals had Angela been there.
12-13-2013, 11:39 AM
No I am not forgetting that it was a junior competition but honestly Wang has not been consistent at all so I won't count on her them to put up good numbers. I hope she skates two solid programs at Nationals!
Originally Posted by Mrs. P
12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
US Ladies Power Rankings
1. Ashley Wagner. Although she had a rough outing at the GPF, Wagner still reigns supreme as the #1 US lady. In fact, the last time Wagner lost to another US lady was Nationals 2011. That's pretty remarkable! Also remarkable was that up until 4CC 2012, her personal BEST International score was 167. Starting with 4CC 2012, she hasn't had an international score below 176. It's like night and day. Wagner looks as confident as ever, and is poised to take home an Olympic medal if there is a splatfest.
2. Gracie Gold. She has the potential to score big if she is clean. Problem is, she's never clean. However, Gracie Gold is America's next shining star. She (like Wagner) had a disappointing Nationals experience in 2010-2011. But in 2011, Gracie Gold worked her butt off to improve her jump technique and has come out one of the best jumpers that we've seen in a while. If she stay's healthy, she will be tough to beat a US Nats after Wagner retires.
3. Courtney Hicks. Heck, yeah! Courtney is one of the more underrated American Ladies. In this calendar year, she won the International Classic (beating Gold, Cesario, and Zadawski), Glacier Falls (beating Chiera, Nagasu, and Edmunds). She had a relatively rough outing at Skate Canada, but still managed to win the Ice Challenge. Courtney's Remarkable stat is that she is a much better skater while skating in the USA, then when skating internationally. I'm not talking about a Rachel Flatt-type scoring difference; there's an actual performance difference. For example, Courtney was less than impressive at the JGP Slovenia, and she wasn't in the conversation for Nationals. Then, she went to Nationals ans skated cleanly. People expected her to medal at Junior World, but she finished 5th, behind Cesario. Then she was impressive at Glacier Falls and The Classic and earned a Skate Canada Spot. She blew the short program at Skate Canada.
4. Mirai Nagasu. As much as I hate to say it, she still has the potential to make a big splash. Mirai was the only one of the "3rd spot" hopefuls to medal on the Grand Prix circuit this year. Underrotations are killing her score though. I don't expect her to make the team.
5. Christina Gao. Yep, she's in 5th again. Christina's programs are not that technically demanding, yet she continues to struggle with them. Her GP performances the past 3 years have been the opposite of Mirai's. Mirai tends to do poorly at her first event and do well at her second. Christian tends to do well at her first event and do poorly at her second.
6. Agnes Zadawski. She's kind of a sleeper here. If she lands her jumps, she will score HUGE. Problem is, she hasn't been able to land her jumps. Liza will never skate a clean short. Adelina will never skate a clean long. Agnes will never skate clean for either program.
7. Hannah Miller. Ooh, she's the dark horse. She just put up a 174 at sectionals. She is from the same area as Gracie Gold, is one year younger, but hasn't had the same success that Gracie Gold has. She might have her breakthrough at nationals.
8. Polina Edmunds. She has been really impressive on the JGP, but it's really easy to be impressive when there are no expectations on you. However, she got no UR calls with freaking Shin as the caller. That's impressive.
9. Samantha Cesario. Note to Sam, stop trying the 3R-3R, seriously.. Samantha Cesario has competed very little domestically in her career because of injuries. It's weird that she's basically the came age as CZhang, but Zhang is considered to be on her way out and Samantha is a rising star. Her programs this year are showy.
10. Ashley Cain. Ashley put in a solid performance at sectionals, and has skated well enough to now not become all the butt of all US Ladies jokes. ala "Raisin Cane with Ashley Cain!".
12-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't think Courtney is underrated. Everyone agrees she is a great jumper with average skating skills. I would not mind seeing her on the team though; her scores can improve with more clean programs in front of international judges.
12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
You know, it is fun to speculate. But I hope US Figure Skating lets someone earn the last spot. Only Ashley and Gracie (somewhat) have proved to be ready for this big of a stage. Give the one that can withstand the enormous pressure of Nationals and skate the best a shot!
12-13-2013, 01:22 PM
The problem with Hicks is her average skating skills and clunky presentation. Internationally, when she lands her jumps she gets good TES but her PCS scores are low.