Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The name calling is beyond immature (even for you). And if you're going to call names, at least make them funny to somebody other than yourself. :rolleye:
You come with name calling like now to lecture about name calling. Probably only Patrick knows what can be more stupid than that. :laugh:
He hasn't won anything with 4 falls in the past 3 seasons, and he's never won anything with 5 falls.
That is what entirely wrong with this Chan detrimental brand- the fact that he didn't win with 5 falls is considered as some proud defense by Chan advocates. While in fact "5 falls" and "win" should be in the same sentence in the first place. He won enough and repeatedly with multiple falls over better skating rivals. And he won a second position with 4 falls just recently.
I doubt it, which is really foolish, because Japan is where the money is. Guys like Ilia Kulik are still earning pretty big bucks in Japan because they like him; Plushenko would only have to stand on the ice and wave and be set up for the rest of his life, the Japanese love him so much.
Chan was in DOI last June where he as well polished the ice with his butt right in front of my nose. Later he wasn't invied to JN gala where he was invited in previous years. There is no info about his "in" or not status regarding summer shows in Japan. And I hope it won't show up. :disapp:

KatEll

Rinkside
I doubt it, which is really foolish, because Japan is where the money is.

Of course, this is all dependent on whether Chan has any long term interest in skating shows outside of North America, or whether he has other plans for his future after retiring.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan has complained about not making enough money to sustain his skating. Perhaps if he learned to curb his tongue, he would have no reason to complain. When he does speak out, it's always on a sour note, and that is a turnoff for potential sponsors. When Kwan was a World and US champion, she had multiple sponsors and endorsements because she projected a warm, positive and happy image. But Chan is a poster boy for negativity, and corporations with deep pockets will look elsewhere.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But falling is a technical issue. If you do the jump with correct technique, you will not fall. Same with faulty jumps caused by too many transitional moves. All of that is technique. I don't know exactly what a good technical coach does to help a skater clean up those messy spots that costs Patrick so many points, but that's how a coach earns his or her money.
A good technical coach is an incredibly detailed individual who can pick out even the tiniest change during an attempt and correct it before it turns into a huge issue (like UR, flip outs, two foots, and falls). A good technical coach is one who can provide the right on ice exercises to keep those tiniest changes from happening.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not sure why, but on the subject of technical coaches, I've noticed that a lot of the guys who have trouble with their lutzes like Hanyu, Chan, and Plushenko, tend to be masters of doing the quad. Maybe just a coincidence?

Not sure why, but on the subject of technical coaches, I've noticed that a lot of the guys who have trouble with their lutzes like Hanyu, Chan, and Plushenko, tend to be masters of doing the quad. Maybe just a coincidence?

I kind of think it is (a coincidence). All of those skaters have fine triple Lutzes. Maybe by concentrating so much on the quad they let up a little on jumps later in the program.

I think it is more frequent that a skater with two quads might have a shaky triple Axel (Lambiel).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I kind of think it is (a coincidence). All of those skaters have fine triple Lutzes. Maybe by concentrating so much on the quad they let up a little on jumps later in the program.

I think it is more frequent that a skater with two quads might have a shaky triple Axel (Lambiel).

Maybe... there's Chan, Reynolds, Sandhu (hah, maybe it's a Canadian thing? :p) and Li come to mind.

They usually do have great triple lutzes, which is why it's weird to see mistakes on them. I mean, the lutz is still the hardest triple (if you could 3A as 3.5), so it's not like an error is out of the question. It's just a weird coincidence I happened to notice.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Of course, this is all dependent on whether Chan has any long term interest in skating shows outside of North America, or whether he has other plans for his future after retiring.

Chan has complained about not making enough money to sustain his skating. Perhaps if he learned to curb his tongue, he would have no reason to complain. When he does speak out, it's always on a sour note, and that is a turnoff for potential sponsors. When Kwan was a World and US champion, she had multiple sponsors and endorsements because she projected a warm, positive and happy image. But Chan is a poster boy for negativity, and corporations with deep pockets will look elsewhere.

If Chan wants to make money from skating, so that it pays for itself so to speak, Chuckm is right. He cannot project negativity or act like a spoiled brat.

Michelle had more lucrative deals than the likes of Tara & Sarah because even though she didn't win the OGM she was incredibly likable, projected the right image, said all the right things.

There's something very strange going on if a 3-time world champ (consecutive too), who has his federation's backing, can't get any decent sponsorship deals that would at least pay for the cost of his training, rink, costumes, coaching, etc.