Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized | Golden Skate

Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

Taan

On the Ice
Three-time world champion Patrick Chan supports a union for figure skaters, if only to prevent them from being exploited by the sport’s governing body.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...igure_skaters_of_the_world_unite_dimanno.html
“I would be at the forefront of supporting a union for skaters,” the three-peat world men’s champion from Toronto declares. “This is ridiculous. I just think we’re being manipulated for the benefit of the (International Skating Union) because they’re making all the money.”

Krislite

Medalist
More quotes:

“Scott and Tessa were able to get out of it, so were Charlie and Meryl,” says Chan, “because it’s not like going from the top of the team to the bottom of the food chain. My situation is different. Who else of equal value is going to replace me?”

Whoa! :slink:

artsciboy

On the Ice
Its so hard to stay a Chan fan whenever he opens his mouth. He sounds like such a whiny idiot/brat. He wants to express his beef with the ISU? Wait until his competitive career is over. Such an embarassment.

Krislite

Medalist
More fun quotes:

“What if that was me?” wonders Chan. “What if my training for next year, an Olympic year, had gone out the window because of a stupid injury at a stupid competition?”

I know a lot of people share this sentiment about the WTT, but he shouldn't call it a "stupid competition" in the press, especially considering how popular WTT is in Japan and the prize money his team won.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Maybe Team Canada should get and "opt out" of WTT seeing as how they all hate it so much. It's a fun competition, the fans enjoy it, and the skaters get $$$$$.

Chan gets lots of $$$- but other skaters need the money for training.

Sigh. Just when I was starting to like him.

Chan and Moir really give Canada a bad image.

jan

On the Ice
Its so hard to stay a Chan fan whenever he opens his mouth. He sounds like such a whiny idiot/brat. He wants to express his beef with the ISU? Wait until his competitive career is over. Such an embarassment.

I actually think he sounds very intelligent! these skaters set themselves up to peak at worlds. I don't think Chan should have had to compete at WTT. No need to, a year before the Olympics.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have long said the skaters should have got unionized. It is shameless how underpaid they are consider the amount of hours they put through but I dont' think Patrick is the best spokes person for the job (It doesn't seem to be one of his strength, although I applaud him for speaking up). Judging should be a paid professional service with accountability and a CV of records, good and bad on plain sight. Bad judging should be penalized just like in the private sector. There need to be a public independent non-profit panel (of openess and transparency) to calibrate and supervise the judging from one competition to the next. It will iron out any national biases and discrepancy from one competition to the next and minimize political influences. Skaters should be judged on what they performed that day, and not whether they are the best skater 'supposely'. It is about accountability and whether they can deliver on the day.

There should be more entrepreneurial / creative projects encouraged among the skaters / industry key people without being monopolized by the major sport agencies, federations and the ISU. Infact I would go as far as set aside funding and subsides for projects, to create jobs and wealth and industry momentum building. Someone need to get involved to encourage and nurture a thriving culture of commercialization. An industry that is creatively dead, is a dead industry. Someone need to build a product that can be accessible and public will buy. All easier said than done of course, but without these motions in place to generate money, things will not change. The one profit is likely the governing bodies who has all the power, and controls all the access and who knows how much real money is exchanged outside the books instead of injecting directly into the pockets who put up the blood sweat and tears.

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick. I want a raise if I am going to continue with my job of re-writing your words for you. ;)

Further, the totally unnecessary competition leaves one more risk, at the end of the season, for athletes to suffer injury. That’s precisely what happened to Russian men’s entrant Konstantin Menshov, who dislocated located his shoulder falling on a jump in the free skate segment.

“What if that was me???!!!!!!!” wonders Chan.

Now, here's what you meant to say:

My heart goes out to Konstantin. What a terrible thing to happen right at the end of the season when he should be resting and gearing up for a run at the Olympics. I join with all skaters and fans in wishing him a speedy recovery.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It's the irish in him "Patrick, tis Himself, lol. Gotta love someone who actually says exactly what he things. It's funny, really.

I'm sorry, I like Patrick, but I just can't help myself. ;)

In the absence of Chan, the only alternate option for the required second male participant would have been Newmarket’s Andrei Rogozine.

“(The ice dancer’s could get out of it because for them) it’s not like going from the top of the team to the bottom of the food chain. My situation is different. Who else of equal value is going to replace ME? That pond-scum-at-the-bottom-of-the-pool Rogozine? You’ve got to be kidding."

(OK, thats isn't an exact quote. Still...)

Reginald

Match Penalty
I have long said the skaters should have got unionized. It is shameless how underpaid they are consider the amount of hours they put through but I dont' think Patrick is the best spokes person for the job (It doesn't seem to be one of his strength, although I applaud him for speaking up). Judging should be a paid professional service with accountability and a CV of records, good and bad on plain sight. Bad judging should be penalized just like in the private sector. There need to be a public independent non-profit panel (of openess and transparency) to calibrate and supervise the judging from one competition to the next. It will iron out any national biases and discrepancy from one competition to the next and minimize political influences. Skaters should be judged on what they performed that day, and not whether they are the best skater 'supposely'. It is about accountability and whether they can deliver on the day.

There should be more entrepreneurial / creative projects encouraged among the skaters / industry key people without being monopolized by the major sport agencies, federations and the ISU. Infact I would go as far as set aside funding and subsides for projects, to create jobs and wealth and industry momentum building. Someone need to get involved to encourage and nurture a thriving culture of commercialization. An industry that is creatively dead, is a dead industry. Someone need to build a product that can be accessible and public will buy. All easier said than done of course, but without these motions in place to generate money, things will not change. The one profit is likely the governing bodies who has all the power, and controls all the access and who knows how much real money is exchanged outside the books instead of injecting directly into the pockets who put up the blood sweat and tears.

Eh, I don't think so. The last thing we need is for skaters to go on strike, and we lose skating for one whole year.

Seriously, though, I think Chan is mistaken in thinking that the ISU is raking in millions while treating the skaters like slave labor. The last part, yeah, but not the first. ;)