Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Not sure why, but on the subject of technical coaches, I've noticed that a lot of the guys who have trouble with their lutzes like Hanyu, Chan, and Plushenko, tend to be masters of doing the quad. Maybe just a coincidence?
    I kind of think it is (a coincidence). All of those skaters have fine triple Lutzes. Maybe by concentrating so much on the quad they let up a little on jumps later in the program.

I think it is more frequent that a skater with two quads might have a shaky triple Axel (Lambiel).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I kind of think it is (a coincidence). All of those skaters have fine triple Lutzes. Maybe by concentrating so much on the quad they let up a little on jumps later in the program.

I think it is more frequent that a skater with two quads might have a shaky triple Axel (Lambiel).
    Maybe... there's Chan, Reynolds, Sandhu (hah, maybe it's a Canadian thing? ) and Li come to mind.

They usually do have great triple lutzes, which is why it's weird to see mistakes on them. I mean, the lutz is still the hardest triple (if you could 3A as 3.5), so it's not like an error is out of the question. It's just a weird coincidence I happened to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by KatEll View Post
    Of course, this is all dependent on whether Chan has any long term interest in skating shows outside of North America, or whether he has other plans for his future after retiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Chan has complained about not making enough money to sustain his skating. Perhaps if he learned to curb his tongue, he would have no reason to complain. When he does speak out, it's always on a sour note, and that is a turnoff for potential sponsors. When Kwan was a World and US champion, she had multiple sponsors and endorsements because she projected a warm, positive and happy image. But Chan is a poster boy for negativity, and corporations with deep pockets will look elsewhere.
    If Chan wants to make money from skating, so that it pays for itself so to speak, Chuckm is right. He cannot project negativity or act like a spoiled brat.

Michelle had more lucrative deals than the likes of Tara & Sarah because even though she didn't win the OGM she was incredibly likable, projected the right image, said all the right things.

There's something very strange going on if a 3-time world champ (consecutive too), who has his federation's backing, can't get any decent sponsorship deals that would at least pay for the cost of his training, rink, costumes, coaching, etc.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12