Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
To be fair, couldn't it be because skaters are all doing triples and quads nowadays, which take a bit more time and energy to set-up? Isn't it "easier" to weave doubles into choreography? I'm not denying Lynn's unparalleled musicality, but she could afford to pay attention to detail and choreography when all she had to jump were doubles.

Moreover, while it may be true that skating has gone nowhere artistically since Lynn, it is true that it has progressed technically. This is actually the direction it has taken since Lynn, with greater and greater emphasis on jumps. Ironically enough, the elimination of figures which was supposed to bring advantage to skaters like Lynn probably accelerated this move towards the athletic side.
Normally in the figures era it was balletic and beautiful free skaters that were also very strong at figures. People like Peggy Fleming, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss were exceptional and dominant at figures. Lynn was a rare case, and Sjouke Dikstra who was a powerhouse and excellent jumping and technician free skater who also lacked grace was another exception. I think it was faulty to just assume eliminating figures would lead to more artistic skating.

I actually wish skating had stuck with a 1989 and 1990 formula with figures worth 20%. That is the perfect amount. Having skaters have to train figures would have helped skating today in many ways. Some talk of the horror of Trenary winning the 1990 Worlds over Ito, but in truth Itos loop figure at those Worlds was disgustingly bad and not worthy of a World title, it was one of the worst figures I ever saw; and she STILL would have caught Trenary if the free skating field at those Worlds wasnt so abysmal that Trenary could get away with placing 5th in the original with a double toe-double toe combo, and place 2nd in the free skating with a still technically lacking program.