Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Top 20 skaters of all time per discipline

Custom Title
    It is impossible for me to decide whatever order of skaters. I am limited to skaters I remember, and unfortunately old skaters rarely impressed me, with a few exceptions. I know sport progressed a lot especially in areas like gymnastics and figure skating.
    In gymnastics, Nadia Comaneci rules from a distance. That's not the case with figure skating...
    I really don't have a winner for girls.
    Girls I will always remember: Katarina Witt, Sasha Cohen, Denise Biellmann, Oksana Bayul, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Carolina Kostner, Mao Asada. Both Yuna Kim and Michele Kwan were/are great, but they were never my favourite. I remember a name, but not much more...Anett Pötzsch. I've seen some you tube films and she looked quite good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBjnVC8gWE

In men, I loved Philippe Candeloro! I loved, loved Laurent Tobel! Plushenko is among the greatest skater ever. So is Yagoudin. Yagoudin is maybe the best of all...together with Stephane Lambiel. Lambiel was just amazing! Had he not been injured, my god he could easily be the best of all.
    I remember Victor Petrenco, Elvis Stoiko, Alexei Urmanov. I don't remember their skating, but I know they were great: Brian Boitano, and Brian Orser.
    I liked Emanuel Sandhu, but he was just a lost super/mega talent. I am sure I forgot many other names, but so it goes...
    For the pairs and dans I must double check the names (spelling). But in dance, I remember and loved Anisina/Peizerat!
    PS: I remembered two other wonderful skaters who are definitely among the best of the best: Daisuke Takahashi and Kurt Browning.
    I know there are some great skaters I discovered through you tube, like Dick Button and John Curry. They were AMAZING, in their era.

So, Dance in some sort of chronological order. Torvil Dean are the winners, though.

Dance:

Jayne Torvill Cristopher Dean
    Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin
    Maya Usova / Alexander Zhulin
    Pasha Grishuk / Evgeni Platov
    Anjelika Krylova / Oleg Ovsyannikov
    Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat
    Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz
    Margarita Drobiazko / Povilas Vanagas
    Barbara Fusar-Poli / Maurizio Margaglio
    Galit Chait / Sergei Sakhnovski
    Tatiana Navka / Roman Kostomarov
    Albena Denkova / Maxim Staviski
    Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
    Meryl Davis / Charlie White

Pairs

My winners are: Artur Dmitriev with both Natalia Mishkutenok and Oksana Kazakova. They were amazing!

Pairs in chronological order:

Liudmila Belousova / Oleg Protopopov
    Irina Rodnina / Alexei Ulanov/Zaisev
    Ekaterina Gordeeva / Sergei Grinkov
    Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev / Oksana Kazakova
    Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze
    Shen Xue / Zhao Hongbo
    Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin
    Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy

Custom Title
    Not necessarily among the best 20, but in a class of his own!
    Please watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpT8vn4ZzQ

That was amazing! French skaters always bring something unique. Delobel and Schoenfelder were wonderful, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Please watch this:

Funny, when I was thinking of my initial list, I was wondering about skaters that were good and skaters that I enjoyed watching skater... Tobel is certainly one of the most entertaining and intriguing skaters (like Bonaly, I was never bored by their programs, even if their basic skating wasn't that great). So happy for that 1999 freeskate by Tobel. Should have placed higher, but 8th in the world isn't too shabby.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Actually, I think Toller Cranston is more like the men's version of Janet Lynn. Both Lynn and Cranston were not that great at figures (which prevented them from winning a world or Olympic title) but were incredible, ground-breaking freeskaters who revolutionized the way skaters moved on the ice for their respective disciplines. Curry had lovely, very proper ballet training and a wonderful classical style but Cranston moved his body and emoted on the ice in a way that was unprecedented for male skaters and was just totally original.

To fully understand how exceptional Cranston and Lynn were, you have to watch their contemporaries, how skaters skated before and during their careers. Cranston and Lynn both skated with a freedom, fluidity and expressiveness that was ground-breaking and has proved to be extremely influential, and that's why I ranked both of them fourth on my "top 10 of all time" lists despite their lack of big titles.
    I really agree. In fact, while I find John Curry's skating very pleasant because of his beautiful lines, Cranston is the one that gives me chills in his free skating. To me Curry's skating looks a bit outdated today mainly because his upper body was no where as expressive as Cranston's. That video of his 1976 free skate to Don Quixote is actually a perfect example of this. In comparison, Toller had lines that were just as exquisite plus he was the one that really danced on the ice, and opened the door to modern-day artistic skating where the upper body is utilized much more freely to express musical phrasing/accents and different layers of emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGDW0yNQDiY This just never ceases to give me chills. It's incredible that a program skated almost 40 years ago is still as watchable as it is today. His artistry was simply transcendental.
    And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGzo1lrl4M In his words, he was "exploring skating with not only the body body, but with the mind".

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Please watch this:

Fantastic! Athletic, loose, charming, and goofy... personality!

Is he still involved in skating? I haven't heard his name in a while.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I really agree. In fact, while I find John Curry's skating very pleasant because of his beautiful lines, Cranston is the one that gives me chills in his free skating. To me Curry's skating looks a bit outdated today mainly because his upper body was no where as expressive as Cranston's. That video of his 1976 free skate to Don Quixote is actually a perfect example of this. In comparison, Toller had lines that were just as exquisite plus he was the one that really danced on the ice, and opened the door to modern-day artistic skating where the upper body is utilized much more freely to express musical phrasing/accents and different layers of emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGDW0yNQDiY This just never ceases to give me chills. It's incredible that a program skated almost 40 years ago is still as watchable as it is today. His artistry was simply transcendental.
    And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGzo1lrl4M In his words, he was "exploring skating with not only the body body, but with the mind".
    Have you seen Cranston as Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet on ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=032DwlgcNHo

I always feel lucky that I found him and Curry and understood right off the bat that men's skating was as exciting as ladies' skating. Cranston certainly projects more emotion than Curry, but both have given me chills in their time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks of Curry as Apollonian and Cranston as Dionysian...they're both astonishing in different ways. It's great that they both had such long careers, because their talents continued to be fresh and innovative for long after their competitive years.

Rinkside
    I'm really surprised that no one has Babalonia and Gardner on their pairs list. They would be in my top 20.

Tripping on the Podium
    For me the top skaters are:
    Pairs:
    Irina Rodnina / Alexei Ulanov/Zaisev
    Ekaterina Gordeeva / Sergei Grinkov
    Liudmila Belousova / Oleg Protopopov
    Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev / Oksana Kazakova
    Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze
    Shen Xue / Zhao Hongbo
    Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin
    Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
    Jamie Sale/David Peiletier
    Babalonia/Gardner

Dance:
    Oksana Grishuk / Evgeni Platov
    Jayne Torvill Cristopher Dean
    Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat
    Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
    Marina Klimova/Sergei Ponomarenko
    Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin
    Maya Usova / Alexander Zhulin
    Albena Denkova / Maxim Staviski
    Anjelika Krylova / Oleg Ovsyannikov
    Irina Moiseeva/Sergei Minenkov/
    Margarita Drobiazko / Povilas Vanagas
    Krisztina Regöczy and András Sallay
    Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz
    Meryl Davis / Charlie White
    Natalia Linichuk/Genadiy Karponosov
    Tatiana Navka / Roman Kostomarov
    Isabelle and Paul Duchneys
    Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto
    Elizabeth Punsalan and Jerod Swallow

Ladies
    Oksana Baiul - a great skater and at the same time an actress on ice! I will remember her skating forever! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4W2u0CXryc; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTVf6MSH4E; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3OubnJQdcY
    Katharina Witt
    Yuna Kim
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Mao Asada
    Irina Slutzkaya
    Michelle Kwan
    Sasha Cohen
    Nancy Kerrigan
    Lu Chen
    Carolina Kostner
    Miki Ando
    Elena Sokolova
    Denise Biellmann

Men
    Evgeniy Plushenko
    Victor Petrenko
    Aleksei Yagudin
    Toller Cranston
    Kurt Browning
    Philip Kandeloro
    Brian Boitano
    Brian Orser
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Stephan Lambiel
    Brian Jobert

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JanD View Post
    I'm really surprised that no one has Babalonia and Gardner on their pairs list. They would be in my top 20.
    I for one am surprised that nobody has tried to roast me for me crowning Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze as the #1 Greatest Pair of All Time ahead of perennial favorites Gordeeva/Grinkov.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I for one am surprised that nobody has tried to roast me for me crowning Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze as the #1 Greatest Pair of All Time ahead of perennial favorites Gordeeva/Grinkov.
    I think once you get that high up, it's next to impossible to quantify conclusively which individual or couple is the absolute best. This isn't an accounting class! When you get to the top cluster of stratospheric talent, it comes down to preference and emotional reaction, and on those grounds, I endorse your choice completely. Why do we all have to go by some group decision that so-and-so is/are at the top of the heap? Break out of the box!

Dick Buton, David Jenkins,Robin Cousins, Scooter, Wylie, Boitano, Orser, Yagudin, Plushenko, Lysacek, Buttle, Lambiel, Kurt of course, Elvis, Toller, Curry, Takahashi, Chan, Hanyu, Jan Hoffman

Sonja, Carol Heiss, Peggy, Dorothy, Linda Frattianee, Kat Witt, Krisi, Nancy, MK, Irina, Denise Bielmann, Lucinda Ruh, Janet, Jill Trenary, Roz Summners,Joannie Rochette, Sasha Cohen, Mao Asada, Midori Ito, Mao, Yuna

ice dance:younger couples: T/Dean, Griskuk/Platov, Boune and Kraatz, Voir, Marlie, Shibs, Krylova/Ovs, Belgosto, Lang/T, Punsalen/Swallow, Usova/Zhulin and the team who skated with SOI for years-her tall thin Brunette him Russian I think

Pairs Rodnina Zaitaev, Protos,G&G, S/B, S/P, Shen /Zhao, Aliona/Robin, Tat/Max, Artur/Oksana, Tai/Randy, the Carruthers and other NA teams Brasseur Eisler, Martini Underhill.

Custom Title
    I can't sure the ranking of 1-5 in exactly. If I think who would be in top5 in ladies and men...

Men (in order of oldest)
    Dick button, John curry, Robin Cousins, Kurt browning, Alexei yagudin
    Ladies
    Sonja Henie, Janet lynn, Katarina witt, Michelle kwan, Yuna kim

So many subjective list... I wonder what will be the answer 20-30 years time.

Custom Title
    I hope that at least some of the answers are different in thirty years' time. It will mean that other great skaters have come along, and that the sport's best years are not behind it. On the other hand, I hope that some answers will be the same, because people like Curry and Gordeyeva/Grinkov will always be inspiring--and also because skating will always lose some aspects of excellence even as it gains others. For example, today the jumps are bigger and better, but often the blade control is less so, because people don't train in school figures.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast