Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

Custom Title
    Friends who just met up with her at Stars On Ice backstage told me that she joked that she's too old for Sochi, unfortunately.

I agree with zschultz's post about if she wants to return hopefully she isn't held up and nobody should hold it against her for winning and not stepping aside. People always got mad that the Williams sisters kept being in all the Grand Slam finals in tennis... well, don't complain, get better.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    My wish is Osmond and Lacoste!

Amelie has been on senior scene representing her country for a long time, and my belief is such skaters should deserve to compete at one of the Olympic Games at least before they retire, if number of spots allow it. Some may complain, "oh she's had enough chances alreadly, where she skated rather poorly only to blow them, so does not deserve a spot", or "she is old, we can't expect any much from her, better give a spot not to Amelie but a younger promising skater for experience"...However, in my humble opinion, wins (or loses), medals, placements and/or points are not everything that should count, do not always tell the truth and should not. Because these things are pretty much full of 'uncertainity', you know, due to many other influential outside factors; e.g. how other skaters will do, an undesired injury or flu, bad ice condition, unsupportive audience, who tech panels/judges are , and do not always reflect how hard skaters have been trained (or how undertrained) prior to competitions. Placements are merely its outcome afterward. Just like what happens in our daily life in our real world.

Canada got 2 spots thanks to Kaetlyn at London Worlds. I hope Amelie skates lights out at the Nats, place 2nd under fair judging, and SkateCanada gives her the nod to Sochi. GOoooooo Amelie!
    I know you're a fan, but Amelie really isn't who I think should go to the Olympics... if she earns it, then sure. But as it stands, Daleman is a much better prospect and even Chartrand is technically more superior and more sound than Lacoste. I'm actually really glad Lacoste ended up 4th at Nationals because Daleman and Chartrand easily deserved to be ahead of her in the FS (and all had a fall in the SP, even if Daleman/Chartrand still had harder jumps).

I'm curious to see how Chartrand develops over the summer because her and Daleman are probably going to battle it out for the 2nd spot. On paper, both have excellent ambitious technical ability and it's truly exciting to put forth Canadian skaters who are capable of 3-3's and 3Z's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    Guess what, if Rochette has the technical goods still to keep up with the other Canadian girls, and earns her spot, then by all means, she has every right to try and do so... and if she is paid by Skate Canada to do it, then good for her. I'm so tired of: "Older skaters should move aside for younger skaters so they can have their time in the sun." It's BS. Sport doesn't and shouldn't work that way. You should EARN it. Joannie has earned the right to do whatever the heck she wants to do, by virtue of her MANY Canadian national titles, years of international skating, and Olympic and World medal. If the younger girls want it, then go out and beat Joannie.

Everyone who is competing at a high level or has competed at a high level in the sport and can still bring the technical goods and the presentation to the competition and WANT to compete have the right to compete. Now, if Joannie is given inflated scores above someone who out skated her and is handed a spot, because Skate Canada is afraid of putting some new kid out there that may not get the PCS of Joannie, then we can talk about fairness. However, that has not happened (yet). It was the same way with Michelle. Her detractors said "oh get out of the way, let Sasha be the American it girl, let the little Hughes girl be the American it girl, let Kimmie Meissner have her time in the sun." NO. They should pry it from her cold, dead hands, and EARN it.

BTW, the only person who deserves an Olympic spot from the Canadian women at this point is Osmond, cause she brought back the spots. No one else out of the Canadian senior ladies helped do that, they don't deserve anything. Great, they worked four years to maybe have a second spot. Doesn't mean it's theirs. Also, they DO have a chance to earn an Olympic spot. Beat Joannie if she comes back, show Skate Canada that Joannie isn't necessary, and the spot is yours.

Money makes the world go around. I hate it, but thats the way it is. I have a feeling Joannie would make a lot of money for Skate Canada if she decides to return, and no doubt, she should get a piece of that pie. If I were a Canadian I would love to see an Osmond-Rochette battle at CanNats if it comes to fruition.

The only thing that SHOULDN'T happen in the event that Joannie comesback, it for her to get held up over someone who skated better. That's the ONLY thing.

(BTW, this may be a bit craven, but I totally called that Bronze for Joannie. Her mothers death only secured it more for her, along with Skate Canada's politicking. I'm not saying it wasn't unearned. She skated amazingly, considering her mothers death just days before the Short. However, in terms of technical skating, Mirai should have won. Mirai was the 2010 version of the 1995 Michelle Kwan.)

Mirai did not have the technical elememts when you include skating skills which Joannie and her pcs were significantl a head. Really Mirai skated to Carmen without any of the emotion of Crment but rather a Miss America pangeant queen or princess. Joannie's program were far superior in difficulty - she defnitel outskated Mirai in the short; in the long it was tighter but then again Jaonnie was cler to Mao than Mirai. Even if you gave five more points to Miai to be nice it still wouldn't earn her bronze.

I guess if Jenna McCorkell is encouraged to skate on why not Joannie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Mirai did not have the technical elememts when you include skating skills which Joannie and her pcs were significantl a head. Really Mirai skated to Carmen without any of the emotion of Crment but rather a Miss America pangeant queen or princess. Joannie's program were far superior in difficulty - she defnitel outskated Mirai in the short; in the long it was tighter but then again Jaonnie was cler to Mao than Mirai. Even if you gave five more points to Miai to be nice it still wouldn't earn her bronze.

I guess if Jenna McCorkell is encouraged to skate on why not Joannie.
    As I said, I'm not re-adjudicating this, but Mirai WAS the second highest TES score in the LP behind Yuna. Saying that Mirai didn't have the technical elements is silly, as she was BETTER than Joannie on tech. I already ceded the point on Carmen, I said it was ab ad vehicle for her, the music/character wasn't right, and it wasn't a believable performance in that regard. However, in pure skating, Mirai was right up there with Rochette. She had the speed, the jumps, the spins, she was a complete package.

Custom Title
    Yeah, Joannie was a bit overscored considering her mistakes... it's crazy to think she almost beat Mao who had two triple axels (even though Mao made other errors, especially on the 3T). She certainly deserved bronze though on the strength of her SP and was better than Mirai. It's not many points but it's also worth noting that Mirai gave up about 2.5 points base value (and approximately 3 points on bonus, given the GOE she had) by having level 2 spiral and footwork and a level 3 flying sit. She could have probably edged out Rochette but wouldn't have even been close to the podium as the top 3 were way ahead.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Yeah, Joannie was a bit overscored considering her mistakes... it's crazy to think she almost beat Mao who had two triple axels (even though Mao made other errors, especially on the 3T). She certainly deserved bronze though on the strength of her SP and was better than Mirai. It's not many points but it's also worth noting that Mirai gave up about 2.5 points base value (and approximately 3 points on bonus, given the GOE she had) by having level 2 spiral and footwork and a level 3 flying sit. She could have probably edged out Rochette but wouldn't have even been close to the podium as the top 3 were way ahead.
    I actually thought Mao was the one overscored and that Joannie should have finished 2nd over her. Yes, Mao had two 3axels - but she only landed 4 triples in total (underrotated 3flip and had the issue on the popped 3toe) - other than the 3axels, she didn't have much else in that program. OTOH, Joannie landed 6 triples cleanly - stepped out of fully rotated 3flip and 2axel. Their FS scores were close 131.72 (Mao) to 131.28 (Joannie) - but the way I see it, Joannie far outskated her and enough to overtake her both in the FS and arguably overall.

Mirai was clean - but I agree with others that she skated Carmen like it was a Disney princess program. Her skating skills and PCS overall were also not as strong as Joannie's (nor has she improved in this respect now - her programs are still empty as all heck).

I feel like I have to stick up for Mirai's "Carmen's Little Sister" program. You don't have to portray a character or tell a story. She was just skating, with infectious verve, to great music.

Custom Title
    So what about Joannie Rochette: Does anyone know if she comeback or not ? There is an article about her in «figureskatingmagazine». What she said about her decision ?

Custom Title
    She has recently said that she would decide after SOI. My take is that she won't be returning.

She has been doing exhibition skating for the past four years. She did participate in the Japan Open as an eligible for 3 seasons after Vancouver, but this past season, she did the pro Japan Open rather than the eligible one. In her exhibition skating, her jumps have been limited to the 3s and the 2a. She says she still has the harder jumps (loop, flip, lutz), but it is one thing to execute those jumps in isolation, and quite another to land six triple jumps--3 in combination--within a complex 4-minute program when you haven't done that in four years.

Joannie is 27 and will be 28 in January. If she hasn't begun rigorous training by now, it is too late to start getting into competitive shape without risking injury.

I agree with those who don't expect to see Joannie going for another Olympics. I think it's a bit late, and it's a tall order at this point to expect her to be back at nationals like her old self after years off the competitive scene. If she surprises me and comes back with all her jumps and looking great, I'd be happy to see her there, but at this point I don't think it's going to happen.

Presuming she won't, I'd like to see one of the young'uns joining Osmond at the Olympics, someone who has some years of competition ahead of her. Right now I'm thinking I'd like it to be Daleman, but I may change my mind once the season starts and I see how everyone looks.

Banned
    Joannie should have skated at the 2011 Worlds. She would have had a great shot at winning there and was still in great shape as her Japan Open performances proved. I dont see what the point of her coming back now would be. She wouldnt be a medal contender after so long off, and combined with her age, no way she would be at her peak, and considering the top 3 right now are better skaters than her even in her prime probably. I also would prefer a younger skater to go with Osmond as we have some promising young skaters, but then again it could also be LaCoste getting the spot, and Joannie is easily preferable to her.

I do agree it is her right to come back if she wishes and if she beats out one of our up and comers for a spot (or even beats Osmond for the Can. title which is still quite possible at this point if she returned in somewhat decent shape, Osmond was only 8th at Worlds after all) then so be it. I also do think unfortunately she would probably atleast get the 2nd spot if she came back, despite being well past her prime. I do hope she doesnt come back though as I think it is our better for our long term situation if a 2nd up and comer ends up going with Osmond (and hopefully that is who makes it if Joannie comes back and not redundant already past her limited peak LaCoste).

Custom Title
    Lacoste is unlikely for Sochi, whether or not Rochette returns. Amelie is unable to perform a FS decent enough to beat younger skaters: she doubles her triples or falls on them and rarely if ever executes what she's has been practicing. Even her 'old reliable' 3lo is no longer reliable. Amelie will be 25 in December, so there isn't much hope of her improving in the future.

I'd like to see Osmond of course and a second Joannie if she proves shes still at top form by October. Amelie has come a long way. She deserves her chance/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2