Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was just in Tokyo yesterday and Mao is on a massive poster in the posh Ginza district. Miss Mao is a superstar. I think it is financially stupid for her to retire. The gals at my hotel were incredibly appreciative when a foreigner knows who Mao is. They really love her here.

Japan is gearing up for the 2020 Olympics bidding and they have posters everywhere. They love their athlete stars here.

Same with the people at my ryokan when I visited Kyoto. They love Mao and Daisuke and were really excited when I mentioned them. :)

I was just in Tokyo yesterday and Mao is on a massive poster in the posh Ginza district. Miss Mao is a superstar. I think it is financially stupid for her to retire. The gals at my hotel were incredibly appreciative when a foreigner knows who Mao is. They really love her here.

Japan is gearing up for the 2020 Olympics bidding and they have posters everywhere. They love their athlete stars here.

That's so nice to hear. I'm glad you were able to show that people from outside Japan like and admire their athletes. I'm even happier to hear that athletes as committed and as hardworking as Mao are sufficiently honored by their countrymen and women.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Is it me or her technic to me was far better when she was with Tatiana Tarasova ?
I think that she should rework with Tarasova, she brings her the best in term of technical aspect, she was able to do 3 triple axel beautifully and now she have difficulty to have only one great.

But, she should rest with Lori Nichol for artistry, she brings her the best skate so far.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Yup I was also in Japan last week (couple of cities including Tokyo). I also saw Mao everywhere! Where are the guys?! Like you said Japan is up for 2020 and they do love their athletes (especially baseball and footballers. that makes Mao the lone female). The journalist is not saying anything new, therefore I don't think Mao would really retire even after Sochi. She might be tired right now and desperately need a break (don't blame her) but her federation need her too much.

I guess whether she retire by Sochi depends on how she does there. I would never count her out for anything. She surprised me this year, regardless of how I feel about her federation, skating politics or her programs. There's heart and guts under all that package, and how can you not like anyone who has these qualities in a competitor?! She just need to be inspired again. I look forward to be surprised by her again next year, whatever the outcome.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Is it me or her technic to me was far better when she was with Tatiana Tarasova ?
I think that she should rework with Tarasova, she brings her the best in term of technical aspect, she was able to do 3 triple axel beautifully and now she have difficulty to have only one great.

But, she should rest with Lori Nichol for artistry, she brings her the best skate so far.

I don't agree. In the Olympic year she performed less triples - only axel, flip, loop and toe, with no triple-triple, no 2A-3T. Now she performes all of them, does the 2-3 and 3-3 and attempted an 8 triple program. Her spins are a bit worse but that's due to trying to maximise her jumping potential. Her technique is also better now, look for example at her flip, it changed a lot.
I would say her technical peak was in 2008, she worked then with somebody else who took care of her technique. She was doing a 3A and 2 triple-triples. Even her lutz was the best then, she almost had that outside edge.

I definitely agree with os168. Never count Mao out.