Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire

Custom Title
    I see no point in her to keep skating competitively. Her sults really slumped after 2010, due to her constant UR landings, especially. Those will not get any better as she will age. let's be realistic, time is not on her side after 2014.
    And yes, she is still young enough to enjoy many years to skate in shows, like Shizuka.

Custom Title
    Her technical ability has slumped, but her artistic ability has grown. She could continue to pull in the PCS scores and with clean skating (not necessarily difficult skating), she can easily continue as a top skater after Sochi, maybe even win Worlds again if the up and comers don't develop or lose consistency in their own jumps (like Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva).

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I see no point in her to keep skating competitively. Her sults really slumped after 2010, due to her constant UR landings, especially. Those will not get any better as she will age. let's be realistic, time is not on her side after 2014.
    And yes, she is still young enough to enjoy many years to skate in shows, like Shizuka.
    Time is one her side, she will only be 23 next year, and i don't remember her to have ever slumped, I remember her having taken a very courages decision after 2010 and that decision meant that she had to sacrifice some results in a short period of time in order to bear the fruit in the long run. it's way too soon for her to retire, and I think someone like Mao enjoys competitive skating just as much as show skating, if not even more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Time is one her side, she will only be 23 next year, and i don't remember her to have ever slumped, I remember her having taken a very courages decision after 2010 and that decision meant that she had to sacrifice some results in a short period of time in order to bear the fruit in the long run. it's way too soon for her to retire, and I think someone like Mao enjoys competitive skating just as much as show skating, if not even more.
    Agreed.

Custom Title
    I was just in Tokyo yesterday and Mao is on a massive poster in the posh Ginza district. Miss Mao is a superstar. I think it is financially stupid for her to retire. The gals at my hotel were incredibly appreciative when a foreigner knows who Mao is. They really love her here.

Japan is gearing up for the 2020 Olympics bidding and they have posters everywhere. They love their athlete stars here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I was just in Tokyo yesterday and Mao is on a massive poster in the posh Ginza district. Miss Mao is a superstar. I think it is financially stupid for her to retire. The gals at my hotel were incredibly appreciative when a foreigner knows who Mao is. They really love her here.

Japan is gearing up for the 2020 Olympics bidding and they have posters everywhere. They love their athlete stars here.
    Same with the people at my ryokan when I visited Kyoto. They love Mao and Daisuke and were really excited when I mentioned them.

Custom Title

That's so nice to hear. I'm glad you were able to show that people from outside Japan like and admire their athletes. I'm even happier to hear that athletes as committed and as hardworking as Mao are sufficiently honored by their countrymen and women.

Custom Title
    Is it me or her technic to me was far better when she was with Tatiana Tarasova ?
    I think that she should rework with Tarasova, she brings her the best in term of technical aspect, she was able to do 3 triple axel beautifully and now she have difficulty to have only one great.

But, she should rest with Lori Nichol for artistry, she brings her the best skate so far.

Custom Title

Yup I was also in Japan last week (couple of cities including Tokyo). I also saw Mao everywhere! Where are the guys?! Like you said Japan is up for 2020 and they do love their athletes (especially baseball and footballers. that makes Mao the lone female). The journalist is not saying anything new, therefore I don't think Mao would really retire even after Sochi. She might be tired right now and desperately need a break (don't blame her) but her federation need her too much.

I guess whether she retire by Sochi depends on how she does there. I would never count her out for anything. She surprised me this year, regardless of how I feel about her federation, skating politics or her programs. There's heart and guts under all that package, and how can you not like anyone who has these qualities in a competitor?! She just need to be inspired again. I look forward to be surprised by her again next year, whatever the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    Is it me or her technic to me was far better when she was with Tatiana Tarasova ?
    I think that she should rework with Tarasova, she brings her the best in term of technical aspect, she was able to do 3 triple axel beautifully and now she have difficulty to have only one great.

But, she should rest with Lori Nichol for artistry, she brings her the best skate so far.
    I don't agree. In the Olympic year she performed less triples - only axel, flip, loop and toe, with no triple-triple, no 2A-3T. Now she performes all of them, does the 2-3 and 3-3 and attempted an 8 triple program. Her spins are a bit worse but that's due to trying to maximise her jumping potential. Her technique is also better now, look for example at her flip, it changed a lot.
    I would say her technical peak was in 2008, she worked then with somebody else who took care of her technique. She was doing a 3A and 2 triple-triples. Even her lutz was the best then, she almost had that outside edge.

I definitely agree with os168. Never count Mao out.

I know that this isn't the right thread for this but this is soo adorable and funny i just have to share it with you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VZub6f5kZFY

Mao being a surprise visitor at the event, she looks so beautiful take a look

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2