Smash | Golden Skate

Smash

heyang

Record Breaker
If the season had been as good as the past 3 episodes, the show probably wouldn't be cancelled IMHO.

heyang

Record Breaker
Can't believe it's been canceled! 42

Based upon being surprised there was a season 2 and that the 1st several episodes of season 2 were bad, I'm not surprised it was cancelled. I am glad that the episodes greatly improved and that Smash went out well. I'm also happy that NBC aired the remaining episodes instead of just stopping.

Here's an interesting interview with the showrunner about the finale and his vision of season 3. http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/26/smash-finale-exec-producer-josh-safran/

For me, season 2 started out poorly because it started with Bombshell going into limbo and most of the characters becoming unlikeable. Tom and Julia's relationship was going down. While Ivy was redeemed this season, Karen devolved between her inexplicable acceptance of Jimmy's behavior and her treatment of Ana. While I now understand the role of script doctor and appreciated what Julia was able to do with Hit List, Julia's interaction with her script doctor made her seem shrill and the script doctor himself was just unappealing. Also, I wanted to have Ivy and Karen as frenemies, but instead they had zilch scenes together for the most part with Ivy working on the poorly conceived Liasons and not really with any of the other characters.

The season improved after Karen left Bombshell and Ivy re-joined. At least then we got to see Ivy interact with the other characters and she was the 'mature one' in her interactions with both Tom and Derek. Also, Julia became likeable again while Tom devolved.

I probably enjoyed the last episodes the most as both shows were 'hits' and the competition between the 2 shows was professional with the various characters showing appreciation for the others, etc.

I'm wondering if season 2 might've been successful if they had focused on Kyle's Jonathon Larson storyline a bit more instead of on Karen/Jimmy couple. Some may have resented the plot, but the one Kyle episode with the flashbacks kinda came out of nowhere.

With the exception of the 1st several episodes of season2, I enjoyed watching the show.